JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this isn't an easy ask. Not only are spots probably very limited, but I would be hesitant to give out the secrets as well. My wife and I are the type where we pick up every shell. We wont be shooting TV's or toilets. Please pm me. Thank you in advance for any info.

Last Edited:
I know there's Northwolf Creek, but if you're adventurous and want to be alone there's plenty of places to shoot down back logging roads. Just be aware of logging trucks and your back stops. With a good truck you should be able to reach just about anywhere. Tillamook Stare Forrest and Mt Hood both offer a ton of options.

The problem with giving up secret spots is once you do they are no longer secret spots. I used to have one but it's not secret anymore.
Same…I had a great one and now it's been filled in because too many people were using it and shooting dangerously and leaving trash. We'd try and keep it clean, but eventually it got shut down.

Wolf Creek is great, but stays busy. Look up the rules for target shooting on State and National Forest lands and go adventure. West in Mt. Hood has areas closed, so check the National Forest website or the ranger...of course there's snow now.

Get on the waiting list and join a gun club. I belong to 3 different clubs. Want to shoot in the rain?
Most all ranges have covered shooting points. One of the ranges I am going to today has heated firing points,
flush toilets, running water, heated range house, targets for sale, a reloading room and other amenities are
sure nice. You can shoot at a gun club you don't belong to by shooting a match. The range rules can be a PIA
at times but it is better than shooting out in the woods with people that have no clew how to safely handle a
firearm. Also you can learn a lot from shooting with more skilled and experienced shooters. Competition
shooters are some of the best people you will ever meet. Most all are very helpful with information.

I finally had to join a gun club. The public spots were ridiculous. Completely trashed, not just with spent casings, but literal trash. Dipstick yahoos dragging their crap out there, oil cans, glass bottles, old lawn mowers -- you name it. Whatever crap they had lying around the house, they'd drag it out to the woods and shoot it to pieces. Then more often than not leave their garbage behind, establishing these nasty and ugly debris fields in the otherwise pristine forests. It still makes me sick how gun sports can attract such low-life vermin who treat our natural resources so horribly. Scum. Idiots. Hopefully they are just a minority of us, but there is so much trash left behind in the woods by those pigs I'm not so sure...

Your best bet is stay off active logging roads during the week. Most crews will chase you out for good reasons and most roads off of their mainlines are usually posted "No Access" "No Trespassing" That applies even when their gates are open. Don't attempt to walk in either. If you hear the horn/whistle on the yarder on a nearby landing you are too close to be shooting. You never know where those guys are going to pop up. If you do go scout out those open main line roads during the week have a good CB radio in your rig. Usually on the pavement the loggin trucks are on 17. Once off road pay attention to mile markers and CB channels posted on the trees. Listen to the CB only! Do not talk to them. They are busy listening for other empty and loaded trucks. If they are calling out let's say "Comin out loaded at mile marker 18" and you are at mile marker 17, find a wide spot right now or back up to the last one and wait till the rig clears. Best rule of thumb in logging country, the commercial vehicles have the right of way. Do not make them stop or pull over for you! If you meet one on a blind corner, plan on backing up until you can get into a wide spot, fork, or skid trail. Another trick, keep your window cracked and don't make a whole ton of noise so you can listen for jake (exhaust) brakes. Sometimes radios signals are weak and blocked or a driver misses calling out a mile marker. If you hear jakes closing in yet you don't see a truck find wide spot. Also this time of year weather and road conditions are pretty crappy. It's a good idea to pack a chainsaw as well as a winch, tow straps, shovels, extra fuel, and chains for your tires. Even though it's already been mentioned, join a gun club. 2 things I despise out in the woods and that's log road shooters and road hunters! Good luck out there! 👍

Last Edited:
Your best bet is stay off active logging roads during the week. Most crews will chase you out for good reasons and most roads off of their mainlines are usually posted "No Access" "No Trespassing" That applies even when their gates are open. Don't attempt to walk in either. If you hear the horn/whistle on the yarder on a nearby landing you are too close to be shooting. You never know where those guys are going to pop up. If you do go scout out those open main line roads during the week have a good CB radio in your rig. Usually on the pavement the loggin trucks are on 17. Once off road pay attention to mile markers and CB channels posted on the trees. Listen to the CB only! Do not talk to them. They are busy listening for other empty and loaded trucks. If they are calling out let's say "Comin out loaded at mile marker 18" and you are at mile marker 17, find a wide spot right now or back up to the last one and wait till the rig clears. Best rule of thumb in logging country, the commercial vehicles have the right of way. Do not make them stop or pull over for you! If you meet one on a blind corner, plan on backing up unto you can get into a wide spot, fork, or skid trail. Another trick, keep your window cracked and don't make a whole ton of noise so you can listen for jake (exhaust) brakes. Sometimes radios signals are weak and blocked or a driver misses calling out a mile marker. If you hear jakes closing in yet you don't see a truck find wide spot. Also this time of year weather and road conditions are pretty crappy. It's a good idea to pack a chainsaw as well as tow straps, shovels, extra fuel, and chains for your tires. Even though it's already been mentioned, join a gun club. 2 things I despise out in the woods and that's log road shooters and road hunters! Good luck out there! 👍
I agree with all of that except to use your radio to let the truck know your there. A truck that thinks it has the road it's self is not the truck you want to meet.

I agree with all of that except to use your radio to let the truck know your there. A truck that thinks it has the road it's self is not the truck you want to meet.
right on. be careful.

seems they drive like they have the roads to themselves regardless.

not shooting. but did a ton of wheeling around tilamook burn when that area was being heavily logged.

the truckers. wow! these guys make nascar look like amateurs. they get paid by the log and they aren't stopping or slowing down for nobody in a jeep or pick m up.

it's actually pretty impressive driving in huge rigs over dirt. but they always seemed perfectly willing to run anything off the road without a second thought.

i stay extra vigilant. :)

Last Edited:
Peaceful and open to the public are usually mutually exclusive terms.

I'm very fortunate to have family property and have made a decent place to shoot 100yards and shorter. We used to go a little further up the hill to one of the Forest Service gravel pits, but those are not peaceful and are usually covered in trash.

Me? I don't like shooting with a bunch of yahoos around. I'm not very trusting of most people's gun handling and don't like being associated with the trash left behind. The only positive is the potential to pick up once fired brass.

I refuse to allow PUKES to run me out of the woods I grew up shooting in! I bring out more trash than I bring in every time. It pisses me off but if the woods get closed that will piss me off more.

Not entirely true. Not all trucks are paid by percentage. There is a contingent of hourly drivers out there.
Good info. Cunningham's Law in action.

The one's I have seen certainly seem to drive like their next meal depended on getting to the mill in the next hour, but hey, I'm no expert.

On the other hand, I imagine it's kinda fun to blast logs around fire roads at top speed.

Can you elaborate on who the pukes are?
General term used to describe people who are 1. selfish and believe others owe them something!
2. disappointments to their genetic line!
3. who piss me off on any given day!
4. I was not talking about you!
5. In this context I meant those who trash the woods!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews