JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All the private sales and acquisitions I've done have bee local as it saves the heart ache of dealing with a potential skidmark. I've bought two guns here on this forum without issues and have sold guns locally at a trusted FFL with cash transactions. Use your gut and trust it. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

All I have is a guess.
At Tigard pawn 4 More they haven't opened the package with my gun it. The two times I had guns delivered to me from FFLs at Tigard pawn 4 more (once a GunBroker Swede Mauser purchase the other an AK from Atlantic) they produced the gun for me to open. I surmise that if they had opened it they would have had to enter it in their books? That may be the difference? They don't have the secure room to have a bunch of guns in their temporary care? Just spitballin'. I know some guys make a big deal when an FFL has opened their "Package". I like Tigard pawn just fine. the guys I've dealt with at cut above have been great. And money market, in kind of a crappy hood, are really good to. The best part, reasonably priced. But I'm a frugal fart. Not too picky.
So I have a question about the above two scenarios : If the FFL receiving a shipped firearm has not yet been paid for the BGC and they hold it for you until you show up and start the transfer process, why would the FFL in a walk in transfer that has been paid refuse to hold it until the BGC clears?

Are they just being donkey holes?

I've done both types at TP4M and it's never been an issue. Even the handholding for prints.🤣

Hello,

I am new here and looking to sell a pistol. However, I am scared I will get scammed if I ship it out. Does anyone have any recommendations on avoiding scammers?

Thanks,

Eric

As a seller, you get to define the terms of the sale. As such, do what you are comfortable with.

When I sell, I typically state that I will not ship and local (+/- 100miles) transaction only.
I'm in Portland, so this covers Eugene to Fife, unless other details are agreed upon by me and the buyer.
I also state that transfer fees are on the buyer.
I'm flexible on FFL/Gunshop/Pawnshop location based on a conversation with the buyer.

For me:
No shipping
No paypal/venmo/zelle/bitcoin/check

Again, it's your sale, you get to make the rules with what you are comfortable with.

So I have a question about the above two scenarios : If the FFL receiving a shipped firearm has not yet been paid for the BGC and they hold it for you until you show up and start the transfer process, why would the FFL in a walk in transfer that has been paid refuse to hold it until the BGC clears?

Are they just being donkey holes?

I've done both types at TP4M and it's never been an issue. Even the handholding for prints.🤣
They need the room. Secure room to store the firearms. Think how many guns they'd need to store with BGC taking two weeks or more? Again, I'm just guessing.

They need the room. Secure room to store the firearms. Think how many guns they'd need to store with BGC taking two weeks or more? Again, I'm just guessing.
Doesn't quite add up. TP4M puts all their inventory into a safe of some sort at the end of the night. You suggesting that the other place has limited storage? Seems unlikely that their vault is packed to the brim. But you never know?

I'm sticking with donkey holes.

For those out in the Saint Helen's area I strongly recommend Hellar Tactical. Lynn and Jim will treat you with respect and they don't play games. The whole group are good people.

Just messing with you!

Come on it's the holiday, it's time to be happy and full of cheer!
The cheer I want to be full of is 80proof, but alas my doctors are dicks too!!! ;)

Naw, I wasn't offended. Just puzzled. Then I saw you changed it... you're still a dick!! LOLZ

Another thing to think about: What if dude fails his background check? You'll get to take a car ride to Olympia to get your gun or pay shipping and transfer to get your gun back. This is why I don't sell handguns outside my hometown unless I really know someone.

FYI, Olympia has great dining options if you do end up coming up here. Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr.
If the buyer fails the BGC the remedy is now between the FFL and the buyer, you have no responsibility at this point. The best option for the buyer would be to let the FFL sell the gun on consignment, you are completely out of the picture at this point.

Bring a counterfeit money pen... but if the buyer indeed brings fake money, then you might have bigger problems to deal with after you find that out.... IE the person may try to steal it from you and use deadly force to do so....
A light pass with cheap hair spray will defeat the pen...

If the buyer fails the BGC the remedy is now between the FFL and the buyer, you have no responsibility at this point. The best option for the buyer would be to let the FFL sell the gun on consignment, you are completely out of the picture at this point.
My deal is simple: If they fail the bgc, I keep the money until I can sell the gun. Whatever I get, minus a "restock fee", is what they'll get back.

I know this is late but for anyone that doesn't know this, Venmo is owned by PayPal and they are NOT gun friendly. If they find out you've sold anything gun related, they will freeze your account and keep whatever is in it. Be careful using them.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews