Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pistol Safe

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pdx225, Nov 10, 2015.

1. pdx225

pdx225 Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I have my regular mid sized gun safe and in it, I have a dehumidifier. Which brought me to thinking, do pistol safes need them as well? If so do you just use desiccant packs?

2. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

You'll probably be fine just thowin it in there. I don't have one in the safe either

pdx225 likes this.
  3. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I take the desiccant packs from any electronics or medicine bottles and chuck them in my little safe. Either it works really well or I don't need it, because I've never had any issues with rust or moisture. I do rotate them from time to time.

4. pdx225

I guess it's better to be on the safe side, I like keeping my gear in tip top shape.

5. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

The "safe" side? :)

6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Yes, even small pistol safes are prone to harboring moisture. Had surface rust on two mags, thankfully none on my pistol, however the two safes I had before I moved were both kept in typical areas: my closet/truck and bottom shelf of nightstand.
    Its worth having a dessicant in there just in case, it doesnt take up much room.

7. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Why not just take them out and shoot them once in awhile? Clean and lube them after, and you've had fun while doing routine maintenance.

8. RLS

RLS milwaukie Active Member

Some people might have more firearms then they can shoot on a regular basis with work and other things going on in life for this to work. It would be nice to shoot them all on an outing but for some that could eat up a lot of free time.

The dehumidifier and pouches seem to get the job done.

edslhead and Joe13 like this.
  9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I like the rechargeable ones you pop in the oven for 2-3 hours and it's as good as new.

10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I just tell a joke occasionally. Dry as a bone, baby!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Exactly, I started to oil my pistol mags, just enough to protect it after I saw signs of excess moisture. Usually I dont apply oil to pistol mags unless in storage.. Well I didnt.

My mags were static, I had no reason to inspect or take them out as they were just loaded spare mags. They spent more time in the safe than the pistol. But some guys don't get out to shoot often and may leave their full sized pistol in the safe for a little while longer than their EDC. Or at least that was my case.

12. pdx225

I try to clean my firearms every 2-3 months if I don't shoot them. Sadly, I don't give each of them the range time they deserve. :(

Thanks for the information everyone!