JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Somebody's gonna have a little fun with our tax dollars. Wish I could volunteer for this:p

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (http://wdfw.wa.gov/)

July 28, 2016

Portion of WDFW wildlife area closing for feral pig removal

EPHRATA – Starting Friday (July 29), the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will close public access to a portion of the Columbia Basin Wildlife Area in Grant County as part of a month-long effort to remove feral pigs from the area.

The closure will be in effect through Aug. 31 on about 1,300 acres of the Desert Unit of the wildlife area.

During that time, a team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will attempt to locate and remove feral pigs, which have been spotted in that area over the past year.

The USDA, which considers feral pigs an invasive species, plans to use bait to attract the animals and shoot them from a helicopter, said Matt Monda, WDFW wildlife manager for northcentral Washington.

According to the Washington Invasive Species Council, feral pigs can be extremely destructive to fences, fields, wetlands, and other wildlife habitat. They can also transmit diseases and parasites to livestock and people. The USDA is currently working in 39 states to control feral pigs, which cause an estimated $1.5 billion a year in environmental damage nationwide.

"We first started receiving public reports of wild pigs in the wildlife area last July," Monda said. "One of our officers shot a pregnant sow two months later, and we've occasionally picked them up on remote cameras over the past year. We don't want this to get out of hand."

After assessing the situation, federal agents determined that locating and shooting feral pigs from the air is the best option, Monda said. They also plan to retrieve hair samples from the carcasses for DNA analysis to help determine the origin of the pigs, he said.

"We're hoping this closure will have minimal impacts on wildlife area visitors," Monda said. "With the hot weather and buggy conditions, August is the time of year the Desert Unit is least visited by wildlife watchers, anglers and hunters."

Monda said WDFW will post signs marking the closed area, which will reopen Sept. 1 for the start of early hunting seasons.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email ([email protected]). For more information, see Accessing Washington's Outdoors | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html).

This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: News Releases | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/)
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.html

Am I the only one who hears the song Flight of the Valkyries playing in my head when I read a line like, "...and shoot them from a helicopter..." ?

How can we volunteer to do this? This should be a lottery, they'd make a fortune.

Well, if I was in their position to do this,I'd hog all the fun too:p
It's too bad it would have to turn into a real crisis for us to ever get in on it.

Let's thank the Jesus that the government is on the job. (lol). If they wanted actual results, they'd pay $50,000 per pig. It'd be ten times more effective and less monies than any sort of finger banging "government work".. in the final analysis.

Found the below listing on CL if anyone wants pork and can afford the fee, this seems like a good way to go.

I'm pissed I didn't think of the business model first:mad:

image.png

image.png

Smells like yet another waste of the taxpayers money. Good god it just gets worse and worse doesn't it. Idiocracy is getting closer to reality every day.
Most farmers in Texas wouldn't agree with you.
Pigs almost breed like rabbits but are 10? times bigger and 1000 times more destructive. If the can't irradicate them quickly they will spread and WA farmers will lose millions
This sounds like they want to nip this problem in the butt?:rolleyes:

Most farmers in Texas wouldn't agree with you.
Pigs almost breed like rabbits but are 10? times bigger and 1000 times more destructive. If the can't irradicate them quickly they will spread and WA farmers will lose millions
This sounds like they want to nip this problem in the butt?:rolleyes:
You clearly missed the first post. The f'in gov is going to try and manage the pigs at an extortionate cost. This problem can easily be solved for a lot less money. Just slap a bounty on the pigs and let hunters do the rest.

I think some states have found that when they introduce a bounty they have issues with people raising "wild pigs " and setting them free for the "hunt" . One of the fears of game managers is that they will be heavily introduced into the state by unscrupulous hunters specifically for the hunt as they have been in other states.

Am I the only one who hears the song Flight of the Valkyries playing in my head when I read a line like, "...and shoot them from a helicopter..." ?

How can we volunteer to do this? This should be a lottery, they'd make a fortune.

I have dreamed of this for a very long time. I even want to pay to go to Texas and do this. It is on my bucket list!

Maybe the pastor from Lake Oswego wants to buy $3000 in tickets to try out his new rifle.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews