JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought something on Craiglist before and went out to the country to pick it up. I showed up in my Chevy Silverado SS and asked if I could back up my truck. He corrected me by saying, "Truck? It ain't no truck if it ain't go no 18 wheels on it."

I use the words interchangeably, dependant of present company. Why? Because I'm a truck driver and statements like , " My truck is in the shop." or, "I parked my truck over there." have very different meanings depending on to whom I am speaking.

The whole "rig"- thing is regional... nobody outside of the PNW says that unless they're referencing a CMV (commercial motor vehicle/tractor and semi-trailer) or something purpose-built like an overlander, rock buggy, or mud bogger. My ex-wife started calling her Chevy Trailblazer her rig and it always felt cringe-y. I would call it her "car... truck... thing". Or Tubby, which is what I named it because I thought it looked like an upside-down bathtub.

Last Edited:
You kidding? I don't know how to be a door swinger!
I spent the early '00s dragging a lowboy (mostly hauling heavy equipment) all over the US, Canada, and AK... tarping in a January wind storm on I-80, placing dunnage, stacking blocks, throwing straps in 125° in Mojave Valley, thawing-out frozen binders @ -50° in Bemidgi, MN... no thanks, man. I'll swing doors all day long and like it.
You flatbedders are a different breed of cat.

I spent the early '00s dragging a lowboy (mostly hauling heavy equipment) all over the US, Canada, and AK... tarping in a January wind storm on I-80, placing dunnage, stacking blocks, throwing straps in 125° in Mojave Valley, thawing-out frozen binders @ -50° in Bemidgi, MN... no thanks, man. I'll swing doors all day long and like it.
You flatbedders are a different breed of cat.
Thawing out a tarp is fun, thawing out the flatbed cause alcohol didn't keep it from icing over is fun too. People wonder why I hate winter but love summer, they never did flatbed up north. Today was a bit chilly for me, it was 37 in NY and I was untarping and removing straps to deliver. In shorts. Cause I forgot the jacket at the house and haven't been home to get it.
Joking, of course. It was just in reference to the clown truck, Maximum Overdrive... :)
I know, and that truck probably swings doors better than I could.
He lived in Fla but drove all over the lower 48.
I spent 3 days just for my company to find a load getting out of CT, they have bigger problems with Florida. :confused:

Last Edited:
Thawing out a tarp is fun, thawing out the flatbed cause alcohol didn't keep it from icing over is fun too... Today was a bit chilly for me, it was 37 in NY... I forgot the jacket at the house and haven't been home to get it.
I like being out for 5 days and home for two... even if I forget something I only have to gut-it-out for a few more days (on any given day) til I get home. Last week I left my longies and Carhartt "winter" pants at home (it's barely OCTOBER FFS) and had to hang iron to get over Snoqualmie... a little early in the season if you ask me, but that's irrelevant cuz it is what it is... poopy AF. Wet and miserable for a day and now I'll put em in w my chaining stuff til like, May. Latest I've had to chain on Snoqualmie in the past was mid-April.

I used commercially available ABC (Air Brake Conditioner) all last winter in MT for my air lines and never had a freeze-up (-40° to -50° most nights). It was a pretty brutal winter. I also let the truck idle 24/7 til temps were reliably above 15-20 degrees and used Howes and 9-1-1 fuel additive. I know that overuse of that stuff can be hard on injectors, but so is gelled fuel and cold starts... trade-off. Plus, it's a leased truck soooo.... sorry, but longevity isn't really my main issue. :rolleyes:

I like being out for 5 days and home for two... even if I forget something I only have to gut-it-out for a few more days (on any given day) til I get home. Last week I left my longies and Carhartt "winter" pants at home (it's barely OCTOBER FFS) and had to hang iron to get over Snoqualmie... a little early in the season if you ask me, but that's irrelevant cuz it is what it is... poopy AF. Wet and miserable for a day and now I'll put em in w my chaining stuff til like, May. Latest I've had to chain on Snoqualmie in the past was mid-April.

I used commercially available ABC (Air Brake Conditioner) all last winter in MT for my air lines and never had a freeze-up (-40° to -50° most nights). It was a pretty brutal winter. I also let the truck idle 24/7 til temps were reliably above 15-20 degrees and used Howes and 9-1-1 fuel additive. I know that overuse of that stuff can be hard on injectors, but so is gelled fuel and cold starts... trade-off. Plus, it's a leased truck soooo.... sorry, but longevity isn't really my main issue. :rolleyes:
Can you access an smaller air field?
Get your self some Jet-A ( or even a small amount of gasoline) and mix into your fuel tanks, will help prevent Gelling and water freezing in the lines, will also keep your engine warmer while idling overnight! We had a Detroit Diesel seize up solid from letting it run all night, some one didn't set the idle high enough and the cylinder liners walked and hammered the cylinder head all to hell! Cost more to rebuild it then the whole truck was worth! At idle, most diesels don't turn fast enough to maintain temp and will have serious wear when the temps get below freezing!

I found this truck in a box in my shed:

aft25_-01_silver_closeup_ot25-flagpole-truck.jpg

... some one didn't set the idle high enough and the cylinder liners walked and hammered the cylinder head all to hell!
On the Freighliner I was using I could run the idle up. It had no APU so it kept the batteries charged and the fuel (and oil) warm enough that I never had a problem.
Some newer trucks actually like lugging at low RPM... at least that's what I'm told.

Been out three weeks, broke down three times. First time, sat on the side of the road for nine hours on MD-295 (sleeper berth to freeze the clock, cheating it somehow), second time just under seven hours on US 19 in WV (no parking sign had to move asap), now coolant leaking. Happened 5 miles before a truck stop with mechanics, so crawled. They can't make an automatic truck worth a damn but think they can make a self driving truck. :confused:

Next week I'm off so I can do winter shopping. Cause seriously, imagine tarping in the rain, when its 37 degrees out. With a wrapped load, so its slippery plastic you're walking on too. Windy, raining, cold.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews