JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought what I thought was a decent tripod.A Vanguard I believe.(sold it at a gun show) It had a quick release foot! WOW
Yeah,not so much. The foot doesn't sit in it tight and wobbled too much to get a good sighting. Drove me crazy at the range. I just looked at Amazon and there are tons to choose from,but I would like to see them in person first. That's 2 hours away.
Now I'm not apposed to a quick release but I would like to make sure it actually holds the camera or scope tight,so you can get a steady sighting
I'm looking for stability first then weight,or lack there of. Normal height,I have a little one that came with the scope.And the foot on it,even being made by Leupold,sucks
So whatch y'all using?
Thanks
Mike

Manfrotto made for photography, and used for sniping with a hog saddle.
https://www.manfrotto.us/products/supports/tripods-with-heads

usmc405.jpg

usmc405.jpg

I use Bogans, they cost about 350+ new Lots of semi-pro tripods on the used camera forums. Tri to find one that can be used as a shooter's tripod Look at www.SWFA.com for examples
"We are pleased to announce that Bogen Imaging is now Manfrotto Distribution. You can still expect the same excellent service and quality products only now under the Manfrotto Distribution name."
I need to know how good the brands are at SWFA before it does me any good to look at any,but thanks. I did forget about that sight
So Manfrotto must be a pretty good brand? Timac,can you replace the quick release or is it a pretty tight hold? Or do you use one without ?

"We are pleased to announce that Bogen Imaging is now Manfrotto Distribution. You can still expect the same excellent service and quality products only now under the Manfrotto Distribution name."
I need to know how good the brands are at SWFA before it does me any good to look at any,but thanks. I did forget about that sight
So Manfrotto must be a pretty good brand? Timac,can you replace the quick release or is it a pretty tight hold? Or do you use one without ?

Manfrotto gets good reviews from photographers and snipers both police and military. For Manfrotto tripods you should pick your mounting system first. The mountings are easily switched for your needs.
The hog saddle is a separate piece and company http://www.hogsaddle.com/. The Hog can be mounted directly to the tripod and clamped down on the rifle. You can use a Manfrotto ball mount with the Hog also very secure and stable.
I don't use the ball mount, I mount directly to the tripod

SLICK MASTER DELUXE Tripod used on eBay They are hell for stout and a bargain used. I own two of them along with 4 other tripods all the way up to a Berlebach wood tripod made in Germany and suited to 600mm lenses used with 35mm film. A VERY STEADY tripod. And very expensive.

I have over the years owned four of the Slick Master Deluxes and they have never failed me.

You can select a Quick release system to mount on it from any of the various makers.

B&H PHOTO in NY NY is one of the best on line places to shop for a pod. I have done business with them since 1976 and they are an outstanding outfit. They are of the Jewish faith so they do keep a different set of holidays and hours of operation. But when dealing with them on line that rarely has any effect on when you might receive something.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Manfrotto (also see Bogen for used) tripods are excellent quality, expensive, but worth the money, some of the best built I've owned. I use them for photography, but they would be excellent for spotting scopes too.

The Manfrottos don't seem to be that expensive. They have quite a span for prices.I see $100 is going to be on the low end of what I want.I don't want to spend $70 and have a 'OK' pod.
I rather spend a little more and have a good tripod.
$150 seems to be closer.I may have to run up to Missoula to find a shop and get my hands on a couple
Thanks for the responses so far

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads