JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you carry an M9/92 in condition one? Not trying to be provocative, but I always understood the M9 to be a DA/SA that could not be carried "cocked and locked."

No problem there is alot of misguided info online...

Condition 4: No magazine inserted, no round in chamber, bolt/ slide forward, weapon on safe, hammer down. Condition 3: Magazine inserted, no round in chamber, bolt/ slide forward, weapon on safe, hammer down. Condition 2: (does not apply to the M16 or M9 or many others) For 1911 style actions only: Magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt/slide forward, hammer down Condition 1: (for all except 1911 style action) Magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt/slide forward, weapon on safe, hammer down. For 1911 style action: Magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt/slide forward, hammer back, safety on.

I started carrying without one in the chamber, because of the uncomfortable factor....but it only took a few weeks to get used to it and now there is always one in there. My issue mainly was because I carry clocks, and it took a while to get used to no external safety. ....no I wouldn't have it any other way.

posted via my mobile......cuz you can't tie me down! :)

I started carrying without one in the chamber, because of the uncomfortable factor....
When I started carrying my main concern was that my gun might show, so I wore clothing much different than I normally would. The gun I was carrying was a 1911 that was cocked and locked. Any possible concerns about a discharge were mitigated by the thumb break on my holster.
Now the only time I use a thumb break holster is when I'm out stomping around in the woods, and then it's just for retention.

Is this PBinWA dude trolling or he is being serious?

Typical idiotic response from anti gunners are just spewing over from this guy.

1. Lives in a safe area where crime never happens.
2. See the future as to when bad things are going to happen to him.

wow...lets see him rack the slide before entering a store because he "thought" he was in danger and see how that day pans out for him...I mean seriously...WOW

wow...lets see him rack the slide before entering a store because he "thought" he was in danger and see how that day pans out for him...I mean seriously...WOW

I was in Portland at about 9PM at about 92nd & Powell last week to go to a seafood store to pick up a check. I looked around at the neighborhood and the people hanging around, and decided before I got out of my truck and went in, that not only would I have my main carry, a Glock with one in the tube IWB, but I also grabbed my Kahr PM 9 which had one in the tube that I held in my left hand in my coat pocket. My thought was if something went down I could fire one or more rounds right through my pocket with my left hand while I made my way to my trusty Glock with my right. This was the first time I have ever gone to such a high level of alert in a public place, but something really made me uneasy about the whole situation. You might ask why I didn't just drive away? I had made arrangements for someone to leave a check at this place for me. They picked this location. I had never been there before, and had driven over 2 hours to get there. I got in and out with my check and no problems.

My point is I felt the situation required an even higher level of preparedness. Maybe level 0.5 . I have used this technique before when I had armed trespasser's hunting on my property. A loaded DA gun in my hand in my pocket. It would definitely give you a time advantage if someone tried to pull up or draw to shoot you. You have a firearm already pointed in the right direction, in your hand, ready to stop a threat in a fraction of a second, but know one can see the weapon which puts you in a lot better position in the eyes of the law. No one knows for sure what is in your pocket and there fore it can not be proven that you ever had a weapon pointed at someone... If you have ever pointed a gun at someone and had the police involved, then you know what a nightmare it is to prove you where justified in doing that. I have had to draw a gun on someone, and with out getting into the whole story,the guy of course denied doing anything wrong and I then had to prove my innocence for pointing the gun at him by having to prove that he was a lethal threat to me. It took 3 months to sort out what I thought was a clear case. I have seen a lot written about the legal issue's involved with actually shooting someone, but very little warning about using a gun to ward off a threat by pulling it out. It is a felony in both WA. and OR. to intimidate someone with a firearm. This is a big gray area that is determined first by the LE involved,then probably the prosecutor,and then maybe a jury.

So in my world sometimes,very rarely, there is a need for condition 0.5 . The rest of the time a loaded Glock with one in the tube,secretly tucked IWB.

If you have ever pointed a gun at someone and had the police involved, then you know what a nightmare it is to prove you where justified in doing that. I have had to draw a gun on someone, and with out getting into the whole story,the guy of course denied doing anything wrong and I then had to prove my innocence for pointing the gun at him by having to prove that he was a lethal threat to me. It took 3 months to sort out what I thought was a clear case. I have seen a lot written about the legal issue's involved with actually shooting someone, but very little warning about using a gun to ward off a threat by pulling it out. It is a felony in both WA. and OR. to intimidate someone with a firearm. This is a big gray area that is determined first by the LE involved,then probably the prosecutor,and then maybe a jury.

Would a voice recorder help in such situation ?

Would a voice recorder help in such situation ?

I'm sure it would if I carried one around and could keep from getting it wet and could remember to turn it on, although I think it is illegal to record someone's voice without their knowledge,so the recording would probably be inadmissible as a defense. A body guard would be better yet but for now I have my Glock,my dog,and my mind. Some here would argue I am nearly unarmed in the last of the three, but I do my best.:s0114:

I'm sure it would if I carried one around and could keep from getting it wet and could remember to turn it on, although I think it is illegal to record someone's voice without their knowledge,so the recording would probably be inadmissible as a defense. A body guard would be better yet but for now I have my Glock,my dog,and my mind. Some here would argue I am nearly unarmed in the last of the three, but I do my best.:s0114:

Idea is that you turn the voice recorder on right after holstering your handgun, before leaving home. Voice recorders have pretty sensitive microphones, they don't need to be in outer pockets to be able to pick up the sounds, also hermetic plastic bag can be used to protect from moisture. Although specific laws vary from state to state, very few states have 2-party consent requirement for public conversations. I will do some googling to double-check on Oregon.

Okay, here is the deal : 12 states seem to have 2-party consent laws. Those are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Washington. Many of them have exemptions for recordings conducted under conditions without expectation of privacy. Also some have exemptions for collection of evidence of a serious crime. And so on...

Bottom line - personally I would rather record and have evidence of the other person initiating confrontation, even if such recording would be illegal. My defense lawyer can then use it to get me out of a homicide charge, even if that meant some misdemeanor for illegal wiretapping :D

Not trolling, just being honest. You are the one calling my response "idiotic". Of course, you can call it as you like but this whole debate is like the concealed vs. open carry debate. I would much rather see people carrying guns in a manner that they are comfortable than in a manner that they are not.

Your position is much more "anti-gunner", perhaps we need to have some laws that only people with a certain amount of training be allowed to carry guns and then they must carry their guns in only a specific manner.

You may disagree with how I carry but to call it idiotic is much more like trolling.

The level of respect on these forums sometimes is just astounding.

I applaud anyone who carries, concealed or not, cocked and locked or not. We are all exercising our rights. This forum should be about education and exchange of ideas, not insults and low blows because you don't agree with someone. Even the holiday spirit doesn't sway some of you guys from slinging poo at others.

And here I was, before reading this thread, carrying a revolver, with a round in all 5 chambers, actually, no safety...and not worried about it a bit! Y'all wring your hands all you want...should it have a round in it...should I have the safety on...yada yada yada. if I need it, it will go bang.

I prefer to have one in pipe. The first two weeks I did not. Then I thought what if the perp was not going to actually shoot...until he see's my gun. I better be ready. The gun needs to bang and fast. If i get real lucky he will be the one that did not have one chambered. To each there own.

If it is my carry gun, why wouldn't it be loaded? I am responsible for it so no little fingers should come near. And firearms don't magically go off. Buy a quality/decent holster. Practice your basic firearm safety rules and your good2go

I would be very interested to find out if there are ANY reputable firearms training programs in the U.S.A., (either civilian or law enforcement) that recommend carrying your firearm with an empty chamber. If anyone knows of any, please post the information.

I'm aware that the Israeli's used to teach carrying with an empty chamber, but I am interested in reputable training programs in the U.S.A.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews