JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rosa_pudel.jpg

That's a poodle that's had an accident involving a cotton candy machine....:s0114:

When I first started carrying it was full mag, no round in the chamber. Then I realized that it's pretty stupid to not have it topped off. What good is an empty gun going to do me? Always one in the chamber if I'm carrying it.

If it's just lying with my other pistols than either yes or no depending on whether I feel like reloading the mags after a range visit or not.

I've always carried one in the chamber. How many people are going to remember to chamber a round in a hurry, with adrenline pumping through them, before having to use their gun to defend themselves? "Hold on bad guy, give me a second, I don't have one in the chamber yet". You'd be surprised how many people forget to take their safety off during a defensive pistol course. Saw 3 guys, all with 1911's, forget several times during the class to take the safety off with their thumb. Took them a good half second of "duh" to realize it, then the gun would go bang. Now imagine if they had to remember to chamber a round, and god forbid, someone was shooting at them, or otherwise trying to harm them.

I keep my gun chambered at all times. I didn't get my CPL until I was 30 because I subscribed to the myth that the area I live in and areas I frequent are realitively safe. Well they are for the most part, but no area is always safe all the time. Remember the Isaac Zamora shooting rampage? Anyway, I had guns at home for home defense where I felt most likely I would need one if I ever did. One day I realized that I could not predict or guarantee that I would never need a gun for self defense, so I got my CPL.

I began carrying foolishly(in my opinion foolishly) with no holster and just sticking the gun in my waist band and felt like chamber empty would be the safest way. After a couple weeks, I realized I needed a holster but still carried empty chamber.

I was walking through the Walmart parking lot in Mt. Vernon WA holding my youngest, when very quickly a car rounded the corner and came too close for comfort. I was kinda pissed of course, but didn't think much about this being a life lesson except for being even more aware in Walmart parking lots:), until the next day when I kinda had one of those epiphany things people talk about.

I thought, you know, if a 4000lb beat up Buick can seemingly come out of nowhere even while being aware of my surroundings, how much more so could a person come out of nowhere that is intent on doing harm to me or my family? It was then that I realized that if I was holding one of my kids or only had one arm free, and a threat presented itself, it would be very difficult to draw and rack the slide one handed and get on target. I know about practicing one handed slide racking drills, but I only want to go there if my other arm has been taken out of commission, in the most extreme of circumstances. I didn't want to have to implement that skill unless I was forced to. I decided that from there on, I would carry with one chambered.

I won't pretend to be an expert or knock anyone elses decisions on the matter, but for me, a gun that takes two hands for me to put into action is not my idea of a constant state of readiness.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my lightbulb moment that changed my mind on the subject.

CJM

There are many valid reasons why every police academy I am aware of teaches students to have a round in the chamber. But of course, do what you feel comfortable with. Hell, leave your weapon at home if you are more comfortable doing that, it sure won't bother me.

condition one no exception.i am no pro i always have more to learn and more training to take and practice, practice,practice.my advice take classes from a GOOD facility. ask around here and you will get good advice on where to go;)

I have posted this before and I will bring it back.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - had to shoot someone on friday.

Be sure to follow it at least to the bottom of the first page where he relates his thoughts on where he kept his Glock and what condition it was kept in.

<broken link removed>

^^ proof to back up the first link.

and take a gander at the first incident listed here:

Ohio CHL-holders acting in self-defense

This is how sh+t happens and if you believe you will have the mental and physical capacity to chamber a round when some azzwhole is trying to do you harm you are on your way to delusional.

From Wikipedia:
A delusion is a false belief held with absolute conviction despite superior evidence. [1] Unlike hallucinations, delusions are always pathological (the result of an illness or illness process). [1] As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, dogma, poor memory, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Carrying a pistol with an empty chamber makes as much sense as locking up your fire extinguisher instead of keeping it where you can get and use it quickly. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a weapon with a loaded chamber, please don't carry one at all. I also hope you don't drive. Cars are way more dangerous than guns. Especially if they have gas in the tank.

I carried an M9 for many years in the service (always con. 1) in many different holsters and never had any issues. Like most have said, with a good holster there is nothing to worry about. With out a rnd in the chamber you might as well stuff a brick in your pants. When you need a pistol there is no time to spare. And under such stress the less movements the better off you are.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and there is some great information on the previous pages.

Being able to hit someone at 50 yards doesn't sound like self defense...

Self defense is not the only reason I could see for firing a weapon. What if someone 50 yards in front of you was opening fire on a bus load of nuns, disabled kids, and kittens? Wouldn't you want some chance of stopping him if possible (especially if there is reasonably safe down range).

Self defense is not the only reason I could see for firing a weapon. What if someone 50 yards in front of you was opening fire on a bus load of nuns, disabled kids, and kittens? Wouldn't you want some chance of stopping him if possible (especially if there is reasonably safe down range).

I would take a shot at someone opening fire on nuns and children, but kittens, nope, they're on their own.

I carried an M9 for many years in the service (always con. 1) in many different holsters and never had any issues. Like most have said, with a good holster there is nothing to worry about. With out a rnd in the chamber you might as well stuff a brick in your pants. When you need a pistol there is no time to spare. And under such stress the less movements the better off you are.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and there is some great information on the previous pages.

How do you carry an M9/92 in condition one? Not trying to be provocative, but I always understood the M9 to be a DA/SA that could not be carried "cocked and locked."

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top