JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never. Which is kind of my point. My lifestyle just doesn't dictate that state of readiness.

I'm amazed at the tremendous predictability that your lifestyle provides you. It dictates you MIGHT need a gun, but you WON'T need it to be completely ready IF you DO need it. Or that you live in a world dangerous enough that you need to have a gun with you, but not SO dangerous you WON'T have time to to get your gun ready.

Y'all must be wearing some really tight pants. Maybe I'm on the wrong corner of the internet. :huh:

Not TOO tight, usually Levi's. I'd just rather have the gun pointed in a safe direction, with it where I could SEE what's going on with the gun while I chamber a round.

Mostly I operate on the assumption the criminal I am facing, with the means and will to do me harm (which is the only reason you SHOULD need to use your gun) gets to dictate the time and place of our exchange, not me. Which is why I want to stack all the odds possible in MY favor.

I'm amazed at the tremendous predictability that your lifestyle provides you. It dictates you MIGHT need a gun, but you WON'T need it to be completely ready IF you DO need it. Or that you live in a world dangerous enough that you need to have a gun with you, but not SO dangerous you WON'T have time to to get your gun ready.

My life is so boring these days. Sometimes I even forget to pack the gun. :cool:

Racking the slide on my P380 in my pocket isn't really something I practice because I doubt I will ever have to do it. That being said it could be done and the only body part that would be at risk might be my foot. My original point was that the gun is so small that it can be chambered very discretely and I doubt anyone would notice.

tombstone.jpg

There are a lot more reports of people shooting themselves or having accidental discharges from loaded weapons than I ever hear of people with unchambered weapons being gunned down.

I challenge you name callers and mudslingers to back your accusations with some real news stories or evidence. Your friend's brother's uncle's best friend doesn't count.

Honestly, I admire those of you that carry all the time. I just can't do it and don't want to. I find carrying concealed uncomfortable and inconvenient. I would open carry if it was socially acceptable as I find that to be pretty comfortable. Still not sure I would carry with a round chambered though. I know that has to bug most of you. ;)

The only difference between an unloaded pistol and a rock is the price.

As with anything, safety is dependent on PROPER training...not just blasting away, but actual, PROPER training with a professional who can give you constructive criticism.

I don't carry a gun because I expect to shoot someone while getting groceries.
I don't wear a seatbelt because I expect to have a grease fire when cooking breakfast.
I don't have a lifejacket in the boat because I expect it to sink.
I don't get a flu shot so I can kiss people who have the flu.

But in all the above cases, I use my seatbelt, don't kiss people with the flu, I have a fire extinguisher, and I carry a gun. I hope I never have to use any of them, but I want to be prepared if something bad happens.

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

Video shows a person being shot dead in a jewelery store robbery, after he failed to chamber.

OK, that's one. However, in that scenario I would have had one in the pipe already. As I stated before, if the situation warrants then I will have a round chambered. I haven't been in a jewelry store for a long time and certainly not in the Agra, India.

I mean do you think I'm a highly trained DEA agent or something?

Accidental Discharge - YouTube

Even with you tiny gun and your baggy pants?

Yeah, even then. Cell phone, wallet, keys, all seems to pull everything down unless I crank the belt on tight. If I try to run across a street then everything is flopping around or the weight is pulling my pants off. Maybe it's just my body type but honestly it just doesn't work for me. I've tried IWB and that doesn't seem very comfortable either.

I don't carry a gun because I expect to shoot someone while getting groceries.
I don't wear a seatbelt because I expect to have a grease fire when cooking breakfast.
I don't have a lifejacket in the boat because I expect it to sink.
I don't get a flu shot so I can kiss people who have the flu.

But in all the above cases, I use my seatbelt, don't kiss people with the flu, I have a fire extinguisher, and I carry a gun. I hope I never have to use any of them, but I want to be prepared if something bad happens.

When was the last time someone was blasted just getting groceries. Even in the case of the Giffords shooting, my first action would have been to seek cover.

Actually, based on your logic you should have those auto-seatbelts installed in your car so you never drive without the belt on.

I don't wear a life jacket while driving to the boat launch - I put it on when the situation necessitates it.

I don't get flu shots because I don't need them (I'm healthy, middle aged and have a functioning immune system).

Do you take the little safety wire off your fire extinguisher and carry it with you when cooking?

This thread is better than working. ;)

Yeah, even then. Cell phone, wallet, keys, all seems to pull everything down unless I crank the belt on tight. If I try to run across a street then everything is flopping around or the weight is pulling my pants off. Maybe it's just my body type but honestly it just doesn't work for me. I've tried IWB and that doesn't seem very comfortable either.

You probably need a better holster.

You probably need a better holster.

If I wore pants that took a belt all day I would probably do it. I work from home and only venture out for short trips. Many of my trips involve going to school for kid stuff (no guns and/or sports) or going to Oregon (no Oregon CHL) so I would spend a ton of time juggling the gun in and out of a holster or being annoyed by the hunk of leather strapped to my waist.

The EDC thing just doesn't fit my lifestyle but when I can do it, I do it in a matter that works for me.

That actually puts the shoulder strap "on" when you get in or start the car. Kinda like a gun that puts the bullet in the chamber of your gun automatically when you put the gun in the holster (in the context of this thread). Plus you still need to put the lap belt on.

I guess the O.P. should have asked the question;
"People who EVERY DAYcarry: Keep a round chambered at all times or chamber empty? to get the consensus of people who carry every day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top