JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All the morons who shoot a mag a year and think that they are Eric Bana in Black Hawk Down "this is my safety" make me nervous, but if you know your bubblegum, one in the chamber is the way the pros do it. Please dont assume your a pro though because you play alot of MW3.

Cant help ya there, I only shoot revolvers at the range but the same principle applies. Proficiency, range time, and experience are the keys to carrying safely, no matter the weapon and a round chambered or not.

The way I see it is that without one in the pipe but still with a weapon, I am still more prepared then 99% of the general population. I'm just less prepared then .5% of the population.

I would consider a high threat area based on it's socioeconomic outlook and my own experience. Basically, if I feel threatened or not safe I would chamber a round and re-holster.

All my carry guns are striker fired without safeties and I just don't feel that a holster is 100% safe. I also have kids so if for some reason they "find" a gun (which hopefully never happens) then I want to at least make it harder for them to make that big mistake.

It's all about balance and what you feel comfortable with when you balance the threat of accidental discharge against the threat of split second violence.

I carry mostly revolvers lately, but everything I carry is chambered. The closest thing I have to a safety on any of my carry guns is the glock 26's "safe action trigger".

There's only one reason to carry with an empty chamber, and that's to add dramatic effect to the movie or television show that you're filming.

Your M9 is single/double action, so with the hammer down it requires basically the same kind of trigger force and travel as firing a revolver double-action. And everybody's already told you that revolvers have no safety, but nobody worries about carrying them with a round ready to go.

The holster is an integral part of your rig; a good holster is absolutely essential, especially for those of us who carry Glocks. With the right holster, you can carry Condition 1 without fear. (It did take awhile to get comfortable with it, though.)

That said, there are plenty of professionals who train and practice "Israeli carry," and it works for them. Not me.
Pistol Carry Method : +1 VS Israeli ... - YouTube

All the morons who shoot a mag a year and think that they are Eric Bana in Black Hawk Down "this is my safety" make me nervous, but if you know your bubblegum, one in the chamber is the way the pros do it. Please dont assume your a pro though because you play alot of MW3.

Lol says you I'm level 52 non prestige .45 Usp level 10, .45 Usp master title so yea

It's all about balance and what you feel comfortable with when you balance the threat of accidental discharge against the threat of split second violence.
I wouldn't carry a gun that was capable of an accidental discharge, regardless of chamber condition. Over the years on various gun forums I've read about a disturbing number of negligent discharges that often happen during the loading/unloading process. I'd rather keep it in it's holster (trigger covered) ready if needed, always knowing what condition it's in. However if I had curious kids around I might choose condition 3 for the rare times it's not on my person.

One in the chamber. In a highly stressful state your IQ drops to that of a gorilla and your fine motor skills are toast. At least with one in the chamber you can get a round off - then you might have a FTF, or FTE but at least you got one round off.
How many times have you racked the slide to chamber a round and had a malfunction (failure to feed)? If it's more than once then that is one time too many.

To that - Has anyone here gone to any personal defense training where it was suggested not to carry with a round chambered? I haven't.

I would consider a high threat area based on it's socioeconomic outlook and my own experience. Basically, if I feel threatened or not safe I would chamber a round and re-holster.

"Oh bubblegum!, poor people! <sound of round chambered>"

Doesn't drawing your weapon, chambering a round, and re-holstering draw quite a bit of attention in public?

On my sigs and 1911s I keep one loaded in the chamber. I have no worries about safety with myself or the kids around. My xd40 I keep with a empty chamber. I just don't trust striker fired pistols. Mainly because when I don't have my pistol on me it sits on my nightstand or in my nightstand. Occasionally I will leave it on the table. I have asked the kids many times to get me something out of my nightstand. Recently my 7yo dropped my sig, picked it up, and put it back in the nightstand. Scary to think about. But even scarrier to think about if it would have been my xd. I have taught the kids to not mess around with guns but unfortunally, you just cant keep their couriousity from wandering 100% of the time. In fact, I will be selling that pistol because I just don't trust any striker fired pistol without a external safety.

So to answer the ops question, yes, loaded chamber with a external safety.

"Oh bubblegum!, poor people! <sound of round chambered>"

Doesn't drawing your weapon, chambering a round, and re-holstering draw quite a bit of attention in public?

Poor people, purple people, happy people, sad people - doesn't matter. If you can't figure out what sort of area you are in and whether or not you need to be more alert then you have bigger issues than whether or not your gun is loaded. Situational awareness is probably the most important thing in any threat scenario.

I can rack the slide of my Kahr P380 in my pocket. It might look a little odd but it can be done. The thing is so small most people wouldn't even notice if I did it out in the open with my hand covering it. My other guns aren't that hard to rack either. Like in the video chemist posted above. It really doesn't take that much extra effort or time. I don't think I've ever had to fumble with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top