JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only put a round in the chamber if I think the situation I am entering needs it. For day to day life, I see the chance of accidental discharge outweighing the chance of an attack happening "close, fast, and violent". But I live in a relatively safe area.

Yes, because it's so easy to draw and chamber a round anywhere... :s0131: Who does this? What's the point? Since when is an attack expected? If so, why were you even around? Come on, get real.

I keep all my Semi Auto Hand guns in Condition 1. All the time.
Dave

This is how I do it, too.

The only handgun I carry without a round inline with the hammer/firing pin, is my Old Model Ruger Blackhawk. I carry that one with "5 beans in the wheel" because it could fire a round if dropped. But that's not a gun I carry unless I'm out in the woods.

To all of you guys who pocket carry, I certainly hope you carry with an empty chamber if you're not using a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard!

I'm curious how many folks here that say they don't carry condition 1 have taken some advanced level defensive pistol training? Not picking a fight but honestly curious.

Having experienced the Tueller drill on multiple occassions there is no way I could pull from concealment, rack the slide, come to sights and get a shot on target in 1.5 seconds.

Tueller Drill - YouTube

Y carry if you don't expect to use it?

Its that one time that causes your Family or You LIFE....
You have to decide what You need to do, not anyone else..
I had a dear friend that was shot and killed in cold blood. And he died with his gun in hand, Full clip and no round in the chamber so YOU decide how fast those seconds really are..........:'(

That taught me a great lesson.
MY chamber is always LOADED..

Not sure why anyone would ever carry a pistol without one in the chamber? Look at all these shootings that happen at IHOP's, shopping malls and Burger King's. So there is the shooter....he just layed out 3 people across from you, the initial shock wears off and you relize what is happening...the shooter turns towards you and you family. You draw your weapon....damn, too late....your dead, because you had to chamber one first!....my thoughts anyway.

Yes, because it's so easy to draw and chamber a round anywhere... :s0131: Who does this? What's the point? Since when is an attack expected? If so, why were you even around? Come on, get real.

One good point among many, for pro condition 1. Here's another.... chambering a round outside of a business, camera catches you. No camera inside, and you have to use it. Pre-meditated murder anyone?:s0131:

Poor people, purple people, happy people, sad people - doesn't matter. If you can't figure out what sort of area you are in and whether or not you need to be more alert then you have bigger issues than whether or not your gun is loaded. Situational awareness is probably the most important thing in any threat scenario.

I can rack the slide of my Kahr P380 in my pocket. It might look a little odd but it can be done. The thing is so small most people wouldn't even notice if I did it out in the open with my hand covering it. My other guns aren't that hard to rack either. Like in the video chemist posted above. It really doesn't take that much extra effort or time. I don't think I've ever had to fumble with it.

While I agree that situational awareness is one of the key factors in SD, cocking a semi in your pocket seems like a very very bad idea.

I get that you practice and what not but why? I would think carrying in condition 1 is much safer than blindly cocking a gun in my pocket.

I can rack the slide of my Kahr P380 in my pocket. It might look a little odd but it can be done. The thing is so small most people wouldn't even notice if I did it out in the open with my hand covering it. My other guns aren't that hard to rack either. Like in the video chemist posted above. It really doesn't take that much extra effort or time. I don't think I've ever had to fumble with it.

How many times have you done this when split seconds count and your life depends on it?

Well now I want to get in on this, to all those who except to have to draw your gun in an instant and fire at an attacker you need to get a better grip on your surroundings and anticipate whats going on. Two points of note, one, the fastest draw is already having the gun in your hand, which I have had to do twice in 25 years and two I work in an operating room where a man was brought in who had shot off the end of his penis while practicing his quick draw.

Never. Which is kind of my point. My lifestyle just doesn't dictate that state of readiness.

I still fail to understand the logic....I equate it to buying a box of condoms, but leaving them at home...buckling your seat belt, but forgetting to put it around you...packing your parachute, but not strapping it on....while the intention is there, the follow through sucks.

If you are not prepared to use it ( which means having it in a state of readiness ) why even bother?

either way is fine, but whichever you choose, do it that way all the time every time without fail. I transitioned from a revolver so it was easy for me. chambered round hammer down safety off.

just noticed, 666 posts, I am the devil!!

Well now I want to get in on this, to all those who except to have to draw your gun in an instant and fire at an attacker you need to get a better grip on your surroundings and anticipate whats going on. Two points of note, one, the fastest draw is already having the gun in your hand, which I have had to do twice in 25 years and two I work in an operating room where a man was brought in who had shot off the end of his penis while practicing his quick draw.

I can't help but imagining the gun was trying to rack the slide on his P380 while it was in his front pocket.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top