JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Poor people, purple people, happy people, sad people - doesn't matter. If you can't figure out what sort of area you are in and whether or not you need to be more alert then you have bigger issues than whether or not your gun is loaded. Situational awareness is probably the most important thing in any threat scenario.

I can rack the slide of my Kahr P380 in my pocket. It might look a little odd but it can be done. The thing is so small most people wouldn't even notice if I did it out in the open with my hand covering it. My other guns aren't that hard to rack either. Like in the video chemist posted above. It really doesn't take that much extra effort or time. I don't think I've ever had to fumble with it.

I agree situational awareness is the biggest factor, but I don't think your 'readyness' should depend on what level of awareness you are at. I think ready is ready, and if you are less prepared than .5% of the population then that still puts you behind the curve. You could be in a crowd of happy people and think all is well, but what happens when tweaks happy pill wears off? That might very well be that extra .5 sec you need to rack your slide. Not that it can't be done, look at the Dutch bros employee in Eugene. I guess the hangup I have is if someone does happen to surprise you, and you find yourself in a close quarters battle where someone has ahold of you and you have to draw and index fire? Or hold them off with your support hand and index? I know you can rack your slide one handed on a belt buckle, but I would rather just have it ready to rock.

Are you more concerned with a ND with a gun condition 1 in a holster then you are with racking your P380 in your pocket? And I'm guessing it's not in a pocket holster if you are racking it in your pocket? I think you are probably right that the majority of the population that isn't paying any attention may not notice you racking your gun, but I'll bet if Mr. Officer sees it then he might.

I'm really not trying to be a prick, I'm just trying to understand your reasoning. If you are worried about striker fired pistols and their safeties why not take the armorers course for your respective carry weapon (in this case, I'm thinking Glock as my example) and learn how all the safety features function, and also learn how to check them for safety and function?

Safe Carrying!

Safe Carrying!

As I have stated before my choice is mine based on my level of comfort and the fact that I just really doubt I will ever be in that urgent of a situation.

Just as those that feel they must be ready for a split second gun battle at all times, I don't feel that need. That's just how I roll - and yes I have thought about it. Call me "not paranoid".

And of course, I will be carrying safer than if there is one in the pipe. ;)

I'll try and step back from this thread as I know this topic is like Glocks vs 1911 and I've done my devil's advocate stuff for the day.

I can rack the slide of my Kahr P380 in my pocket.

I like to cock my guns pointed in a safe direction and as far away from my...uhh...cock as possible.

The thing is so small most people wouldn't even notice if I did it out in the open with my hand covering it.

Didn't someone one this forum lose a digit when cleaning a gun with their hand a bit too close to the business end?

The only time I don't have a round in the chamber is when I am cleaning it.
Without a round in the chamber, you may just be lugging around an expensive paper weight.
I know that I might be able to defend my life with a paperweight, but I would rather have a loaded gun.

The way I see it is that without one in the pipe but still with a weapon, I am still more prepared then 99% of the general population. I'm just less prepared then .5% of the population.

And you are LESS prepared than 100% of anyone you are legally justified to use your firearm on. The way I look at it is that if they are an "imminent threat" they're already "chambered and willing to escalate".

in the military, as soon as you leave the wire (base) your weapon is red (one in chamber ready to go), but back on base, it depends on the command, could be green (empty with no mag in) or amber (mag in, chamber empty)

for me at home- only time the chamber is clear is when im cleaning the weapon... other then that, the chamber is full as well as the mag in. when the weapon is in the right holster, one shouldnt have a ND from pressure on the trigger.

I carry a Beretta 96 Centurion or a Taurus 740 Slim. I always carry with one in the chamber, de-cocked and safety on. First trigger pull will always be DA on either weapon. Not sure what that condition level is refered to as. Condition 2 (round in chamber, hammer uncocked)?

When out practicing, I always use the weapons in the same condition and have learned the muscle memory to drop the safety and prepare for the long DA pull on the first shot. I am not sure if this is an accepted method as I have had no professional training, but it works for me and I feel confident, comfortable and safe while carrying.

Not in the slightest.

Most ND's happen while fiddling with the gun... like you do every time you have to rack/unrack a round depending on the neighborhood you're in.

Speaking of that, that's a horrible thing to do.
If you think you're going into an area that's dangerous enough to change your carry condition.... dont go there. That's an incredibly irresponsible thing to do.

If carrying safely is your goal, I have to say that you're failing miserably.

Say if your job requires you to carry a handgun and there is a degree of risk every time you start your shift, do you keep a round chambered with the safety on so you can get that first round off faster in case a situation does arise, or do you keep your firearm not chambered with the safety off?

If I were required to carry on the job I would definitely have one in the chamber with safety on. Especially if there were a risk everytime I started my shift.

If you are not at peace with carrying your weapon with a round in the chamber, then you need to switch to a revolver.

I used to be a big fan of the belt clips on Kel-Tecs, until I really thought the issue through. Now, if I carry a semi-auto (I have a Glock 26 and a KelTec P-11) it is in an IWB holster with a retention screw that completely covers the trigger guard. If the weather is hot or I am dressed in a manner that precludes IWB, I pocket-carry a Ruger LCR .38+p snubnose revolver in a pocket holster that completely covers the trigger guard.

Regardless of what I carry or how I carry it, if the poop hits the fan the drill will always the same; draw weapon, point weapon, pull trigger. No manual safety, no chambering a round, no fumbling, nothing to remember during the adrenaline rush of a life or death encounter.

My guns live in their holsters. The gun and its holster are a single unit, and when I put them away in the safe together they are loaded and ready to fire. If for any reason I remove the gun from its holster in order to handle or clean it, I immediately empty it. Otherwise, its ready to go.

As I have stated before my choice is mine based on my level of comfort and the fact that I just really doubt I will ever be in that urgent of a situation.

Just as those that feel they must be ready for a split second gun battle at all times, I don't feel that need. That's just how I roll - and yes I have thought about it. Call me "not paranoid".

I'll try and step back from this thread as I know this topic is like Glocks vs 1911 and I've done my devil's advocate stuff for the day.

I'm not paranoid! Thats such a harsh term. Paranoia doesn't affect me, I live with it well. It's more a of a trust thing. It's not that I don't trust people, it's just that I don't trust people.

Could you imagine if someone carried Condition 1 Primary, and Condition 1 Backup? <Gasp!> I'd be afraid someone would bump in to them at a restaurant and they might go full auto! :s0155:

I have carried for over 15 years. I carried a colt defender loaded and hammer locked. a glock in a belly band, hot, and had it fall to pavement. 44 mag with cylinder full. now M&P 40c. During this 15 years I have done activities with these items such as automotive mechanics, hunting, and to keep the list short I have even slept with them on. After all this time not ONE has gone off. This is a on going study but thought I should share :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top