JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Trade
Price
$1
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Portland
State
Oregon
Zip Code
I have:
Small pistol primers
Large pistol primers
Large rifle primers

I need Small pistol magnum primers.
200-300 hundred is all I need.
Straight across trade.

Close by, Portland would be best.

Thanx!

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Cool. What do you want?
I found myself wanting to load some traditional .357mag for a saddle ring lever gun using H-110. Rather than Unique or other faster powders that are suitable for hand gun. The books say to use Small pistol mag primers. So here I am.

You could probably use some small rifle or magnum small rifle primers as well.
I was wondering about that. I'm thinking magnum for the thicker cup for the higher pressure of H110. But small rifle is thicker too, isn't it? but not as thick as CCI41s? I have a K of Remington SR.

According to CCI (I don't know if this is still posted on their website, but it used to be), CCI 400 (Small Rifle Primers) are the same as CCI 550 (Small pistol magnum primers).

Downside is the rifle caps are taller and a little thicker than Pistol caps.
I thought that was the issue with large rifle vs large pistol primers? I've read enough discussion about it, but never committed it to the memory banks.:(

I thought that was the issue with large rifle vs large pistol primers? I've read enough discussion about it, but never committed it to the memory banks.:(
It's both large and small sadly. If you're using rifle caps in a pistol the firing pin might not have enough force to set it off.

It's both large and small sadly. If you're using rifle caps in a pistol the firing pin might not have enough force to set it off.
That I'd read. Thought it was striker fired guns with that issue mainly? Not hammer fired.

According to saami page 26 small rifle and small pistol primers are the same on the out side only change would be cup thickness. If you are running a lever gun I would say its ok to use small rifle just do a careful load work up and make sure the primers are seated correctly. Just my two cents.
That's how I understood it to be. Being that I was going to load a more "Full house" .357 Mag, that cup thickness is what I am taking into account. I would be starting on the lower end. But I have heard/read that powders such as 110, 2400 need good case fill and roll crimp to burn efficiently.

Yeah, from my own experiments (speaking size wise).......
Large pistol for large rifle and vise versa, doesn't/didn't work for me.

Small pistol and small rifle and vise versa......(size wise) did work. Though, I usually reserve the small rifle primers for when I'm loading "higher pressure pistol rounds". The small pistol primers in rifle rounds (due to possible piercing) should be monitored carefully, before going into full production.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top