JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently got a Taurus PT92 to use as a range toy instead of my XDs. After a recent range trip with the XDs, with a lot of shooting and heavy focus on trigger control, I noticed my finger felt like I'd gone at it with coarse sandpaper, and that stayed with me for several days. Next trip, I took both pistols, and was focused on the Taurus. Couple hundred rounds and no issues, but just a couple mags through the XDs, and the sandpaper was back. Finally figured out it was the trigger safety. Anyone else have this issue, and if so, how did you deal with it? Later.

Dave

Gloves.

You could do an old guitar players trick and put 90% isopropyl (alcohol) on your trigger finger with a q-tip aand let it evaporate a couple times, a few times a day.

That will help start to build a callus faster then normal.

Just curious - do you notice if the gun is staying solid in your grip, or it's maybe moving a bit when you shoot? I've had a couple of guns that didn't have the best purchase on the grip, and no matter how hard I grabbed them, they'd rotate/twist a bit when I shot, which led to some sore spots. Some grip tape can definitely help, if you suspect that could be a possible culprit - and it's easy to try if you're not sure.

Proper trigger placement is different for a lot of people, not all of us have the same type of fingers. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

I have problems with my trigger finger but it is due to arthritis. If it gets worse I can surely learn to shoot & look cool with my middle finger like Tom Berenger in Sniper.:p

What exactly, do you mean by "trigger safety"? Do you mean a heavy trigger pull, a rough trigger surface, or something else which is causing nerve/muscle pain in your finger?

What exactly, do you mean by "trigger safety"? Do you mean a heavy trigger pull, a rough trigger surface, or something else which is causing nerve/muscle pain in your finger?

The correct term escapes me at the moment, but I'm referring to the trigger safety that sticks out of the face of the actual trigger. Most striker fired pistols have it, or something similar. It never bothered me before, but I think that was because I wasn't doing a good job of consistent, proper finger placement. I also fired a LOT of rounds that day, a friend and I were drilling hard on trigger control and proper grip. It's not an issue with the smooth trigger on the Taurus.

Don't like gloves when shooting, and even if I did, I have a hard time getting a good fit, so that's out.

I bought this pistol after a 20 year hiatus from handguns, my parameters were single stack 9 mm, sub-compact for concealability, striker fired and no safety. After a year of getting reacquainted with handguns, my choice would be very different, so SKrueger's suggestion of a different pistol is exactly what I have in mind. Turns out I really like DA/SA guns and decockers, and I prefer something a bit larger, even for concealed carry. So the XDs is going to get sold to help finance something else. Oh, darn, looks like I'm going gun shopping again :D. Later.

Dave

Recently got a Taurus PT92 to use as a range toy instead of my XDs. After a recent range trip with the XDs, with a lot of shooting and heavy focus on trigger control, I noticed my finger felt like I'd gone at it with coarse sandpaper, and that stayed with me for several days. Next trip, I took both pistols, and was focused on the Taurus. Couple hundred rounds and no issues, but just a couple mags through the XDs, and the sandpaper was back. Finally figured out it was the trigger safety. Anyone else have this issue, and if so, how did you deal with it? Later.

Dave

Puss. Man up and shoot that thing.

Re-read the OP and now I get it.
1. Drive the pin out and remove the lever and spring (practical but NOT advised).
2. Remove the lever and, if it's metal, polish the forward edge and radious the transition to the sides, finishing with crocus cloth, until it looks like chrome.
3. Replace the spring with a lighter one.
The lever is undoubtedly stamped, and manufacturing process leaves a small radius on one side and a sharp edge on the other. Smooth and round them both and the problem should mostly go away.

The correct term escapes me at the moment, but I'm referring to the trigger safety that sticks out of the face of the actual trigger. Most striker fired pistols have it, or something similar. It never bothered me before, but I think that was because I wasn't doing a good job of consistent, proper finger placement. I also fired a LOT of rounds that day, a friend and I were drilling hard on trigger control and proper grip. It's not an issue with the smooth trigger on the Taurus.

Don't like gloves when shooting, and even if I did, I have a hard time getting a good fit, so that's out.

I bought this pistol after a 20 year hiatus from handguns, my parameters were single stack 9 mm, sub-compact for concealability, striker fired and no safety. After a year of getting reacquainted with handguns, my choice would be very different, so SKrueger's suggestion of a different pistol is exactly what I have in mind. Turns out I really like DA/SA guns and decockers, and I prefer something a bit larger, even for concealed carry. So the XDs is going to get sold to help finance something else. Oh, darn, looks like I'm going gun shopping again :D. Later.

Dave

Glock G19 gen 3, 4 or 5;)

The correct term escapes me at the moment, but I'm referring to the trigger safety that sticks out of the face of the actual trigger. Most striker fired pistols have it, or something similar.

Turns out I really like DA/SA guns and decockers, and I prefer something a bit larger, even for concealed carry.

Your terminology was correct, that is a trigger safety.

Sounds like you need a Sig P-series

p.s.
I am just playin' with the "puss" comment.

[QUOTE="titsonritz, post: 1972445, member: 9302"

p.s.
I am just playin' with the "puss" comment.[/QUOTE]

Figured as much, but I was still going to say BITE ME :D!

I realize there are probably things I could do to alleviate the issue, but the reality is, I'm ready for something different. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a convenient excuse to go shopping for that something different, but it does qualify as one of several reasons to do so. And no, I won't be shopping for a Glock :rolleyes:. There's no question that they're rock solid reliable, but I think they fugly, and I don't like the feel or grip angle. Besides, they don't offer a single model with a hammer or decocker ;). Time to start working on another "short list". Later.

Dave

I tend to have issues when I shoot 45. The trigger dingle on my M&P 45 gives me a blister. And the hole in the trigger face on my 1911 gives me a blister. Apparently, I'm VERY delicate. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews