JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a lengthy session of toppling steel pigs, ducks and bisons with my 45-70 on the range my middle finger hurts soo much I can't use it in traffic. Anyone else having the same issue?

I would expect a sore shoulder, not a sore middle finger. Any chance you pull the trigger with it?

May I reccomend not bracing the rifle against your middle finger? Also, steel pigs and Bison are vindictive when you flip them off. They have ways of seeking vengeance!

My middle finger is usually wore out on the road long before I get to where I can shoot. The only treatment is to move to where there aren't any stupid people. Turns out that's harder than finding an honest politician or even practical cold fusion.

You can also try some of these to develop finger strength or maybe duct tape some heavy fishing weights to your fingers

1675895070122.png

Now, being realistic, you need to analyze your grip on the gun. We're assuming from lack of additional info that it is your grip / trigger hand so the point of problem contact is probably the lever loop, either in the loading phase or the recoil phase. So, you should do some very slow dry-firing an see where the issue arises.

Assuming you're right handed, pull the rifle into your shoulder with your left. Use shooting hand to run the lever and press the trigger. Don't grip the stock with shooting hand
I hurt some fingers with a 6 lb 338 WM and it was in like 30 deg weather ! I now just let other people shoot it my son seems to love it definitely makes you feel alive .

Surprised no one has said the obvious…

Clearly 45-70 is too much for you ;)

I had a Browning B-78 (1885 Winchester High Wall copy) in 45-70 and with heavy loads, it would do the same thing. It's from the trigger guard coming back and bashing the finger. I shot a lot of heavy loads out of that gun, sometimes I would wrap that part of the middle finger with tape. It helped.
Most people don't shoot guns like this so they have no clue, besides @DirectDrive . Sounds like he might know. The straight grip stock has a lot to do with it, too.

Last Edited:
Would be helpful to know the gun. Ruger #1, Marlin 1895, 1873 Trapdoor...????
Henry Steeler.
I had a Browning B-78 (1885 Winchester High Wall copy) in 45-70 and with heavy loads, it would do the same thing. It's from the trigger guard coming back and bashing the finger. I shot a lot of heavy loads out of that gun, sometimes I would wrap that part of the middle finger with tape. It helped.
Most people don't shoot guns like this so they have no clue, besides @DirectDrive . Sounds like he might know. The straight grip stock has a lot to do with it, too.

Just counted empties from that outing - 55 of them, ranging from 405 gr @ 1700 fps all the way up to 300gr at 2400 fps. Shoulder is fine, I made sure the stock was tight there. Normally I don't shoot more than 20. The lever comes open on some rounds. Might try some padding.

Assuming you're right handed, pull the rifle into your shoulder with your left. Use shooting hand to run the lever and press the trigger. Don't grip the stock with shooting hand
This sounds awkward but I'll give it a go.

I might video it the next time and have my buddy drive on the way home.

I know I often suffer from eye problems after NOT shooting for awhile…. Got to call in sick at times.
Cough cough cough…
"Yeah boss; something wrong with my eyes…;" : "what do you think it is?"… :" I don't know, I just can't SEE myself coming into work today."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top