JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Lilja barreled .223ai doesnt shoot well at all for a custom match grade barrel. I know it's possibly other things with the rifle that can cause poor accuracy but I'm not impressed at all! Actually disgusted with it. The best groups I have ever gotten with hand loads are about an inch at 100yards. And I'm sorry but factory guns can do that, some with guarantees! At about 650 for a lilja fluted barrel installed it was not good money spent in my opinion. I feel at that quality of barrel it should shoot factory ammo and handloads very well and should be impressive.... not a let down. I will never use another one with all the other options out there I'll try something else next time.

A while ago I asked a custom rifle builder about my lilja barrel (not the one who installed it) and told me that lilja barrels became so hit and miss that he stopped working with them and now refuses to use them.

Im sure some have had excellent results with them but I did not. Go with pac-nor or look at Hart also.

I have a 260 Ackley with a Lilja barrel, accuracy is very good with some groups in the .25" range on a calm day. What I really do not like about it is that it seems to really copper foul badly. It does not seem to affect the accuracy, but it is a real bear to get the copper out. Never tried Pac-Nor, so I don't have an experience based opinion with them.

I have used a lot of PacNor and they have been some of the most accurate rifles we have built. They are also really smooth so fouling is not an issue unless your smith uses a rough reamer and your throat is a little rough. Since Penny retired PacNor is going through some growing pains in the office, so make sure you double check your order confirmation. Lately we use nothing but cut rifled barrels from Bartlein and Krieger but will still gladly use PacNor.

I use Lilja on our custom 17 Hornet rifles and have never had a problem.

07kv.jpg 27ria.jpg

07kv.jpg

27ria.jpg

Last Edited:
I am getting a new barrel on my .204 and have narrowed my choices down to a pac nor or a Lilja can anybody help me with this Decsion ?
I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the barrel....
I've never bought a Shaw that wasn't a "touching" rifle.
My 6.5 creed I just built wears a heavy Shaw and factory ammo makes a large 5-shot hole.

I use a PacNor on my 585 Nyati with reasonable accuracy, not really a bench rest rifle, and I have a Lilja barrel on my DPMS 308 and with handloads I am at .3 and still working on shrinking it more. Both barrels have worked very well for me. David

That is great shooting. .300" out of an AR is amazing. I believe that is a record of some sort. I would like to see video of it shooting even sub MOA at 100 yards for 5 shots. Tell us more about the configuration of this .308.

It started as a basic DPMS 308. I changed the barrel to a Lilja, 24 inch, 11/1 twist, a JP enhanced bolt and a Gold trigger. The trigger was really bad from the factory. I was shooting a DPMS in 260 Rem but it would pop primers about every 4th or 5th round. I got tired of it and went back to 308. I am shooting 155 grain Seirras, over AA 2520, WW cases, CCI BR 4 primers and 2.800 COL. With the original trigger I was lucky to get MOA. I am trying 168 Amax in LC Match cases, 8208 powder, FED LR Match and it is looking promising also.

You aren't interested in the 585 Nyati? It is a pie plate at 100 yards.

I actually would like to see the 585 Nyati. At this age I don't think I would want to shoot it more than a time or two. I'm surprised if it really can't shoot any better than that. Does it have any way to put a scope on it? I bet it's neat to look at. Given my occupation you would think I would get tired of seeing guns every day but that is the part I like most.

I have an Millett red dot on it. It probably shoots better than that but after the first round I find myself anticipating the next shot. It is on a 550 action with a set trigger but that doesn't help. When I sighted in the rifle with the Millett I shot it off the bench. The 6th round was on the plate and I stopped. I am going to try a lead sled and see if that helps tame the recoil. I also shoot a 458 WM and a Lott. I just put Millett red dots on them and I haven't zeroed them yet. I had a 4 power scope on them and everyone kept getting kissed over the eye, even after I warned them, so I put the red dots on them. I found some 600 grain bullets that I am going to try in the Lott. Lott reloading information is kind of hard to find unless you use Hornady or Barns bullets. The 585 is loaded to push a 750 grain bullet just over 2400 fps, hence the anticipation on my part. David

Straight shooter, I know this is a little older post but I was looking at getting my first custom barrel and I came across this and couldn't help but ask; I have never came across an AR that wasn't capable of .5 MOA, even .75ish with factory rounds. I would like to get your opinion or reasoning for your logic. No disrespect intended.

Wow I was in the military and I am not sure what specs they require or have as a min but I know that five inches at 100 is the craziest thing I've heard for an AR. With a beat up M-4, and when I say beat up I mean armorers dropping them, all getting transported in the back of a pickup lying on top of each other then obviously the usual dragged on the ground for combat simulations. All the while maintaining minimum MOA. As the other OP said in the first article, nearly same hole at 50yds then he has fliers at 100yds. Doesn't make much sense either. Almost any military rifle I've shot or know of other people shooting are all capable of at least MOA. Even most Mosin Nagant's will shoot MOA at a 100. Again this is all friendly debate.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top