JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want/need a drill press for my shop. That and a bench grinder and some other common utility tools. Recently I got a metal table and a while back a vise.

I am retired now (or at the least, unemployed) with some time on my hands (especially after the weather turns and I will have to quit working on projects outside.

One of those projects is completing some 80% AR machining - I have a 5D jig and tools, a good router and some 80% lowers.

I am wondering whether it is better to use the router, or a decent drill press?

I know the router is made to take side loads and that most drill presses are not. Looking at some combo drill press/milling machines I am tempted to spend the $ - maybe a thousand or so for a used one, compared to $100-$200 for decent used drill press.

Maybe a can get some kind of rig to hold the router, put the 5D jig and lower in a milling vise and move the jig/lower around using the vise?

Thoughts?

Depending on future/projected projects, I personally would look into a 3-in-1 (which I have been slowly looking into).

Either grizzly or jet as a start. Then move up to something bigger & better.

:s0155:

I was surprised to see that the pres of Grizzly holds some 50 cal national records. Member of the US shooting team. Might be worth a call or email, as they have a line of gunsmithing lathes - but also probably know how to outfit the hobbyist for somewhat less than a sacrificial body part.

Don't over analyze it and make it more WAY more complicated than it needs be.... unless that is, you're REALLY bored and want to spend some of your daughter's inheritance and also wind up with an inferior product when you're done.

;):D

My daughter's inheritance includes all of my firearms.

I have other projects (longer term) where I want to make small parts for various machines (including firearms) where a mill and/or a lathe would make everything simpler.

It has been decades since I have been in a machine shop. I hear that PCC has a nice machine shop program. Being a "senior" I could audit some classes. When I went to LCC there was a senior who was able to come into the shop several times a week - with some supervision - to use the machinery for the cost of the lab fee and materials. He was making a falling block single action.

My daughter's inheritance includes all of my firearms.

I have other projects (longer term) where I want to make small parts for various machines (including firearms) where a mill and/or a lathe would make everything simpler.

It has been decades since I have been in a machine shop. I hear that PCC has a nice machine shop program. Being a "senior" I could audit some classes. When I went to LCC there was a senior who was able to come into the shop several times a week - with some supervision - to use the machinery for the cost of the lab fee and materials. He was making a falling block single action.

Making functional stuff from raw materials is an awesome feeling, yeah? :s0155:

Making functional stuff from raw materials is an awesome feeling, yeah? :s0155:

Except when someone puts the material back in the wrong bin.

My project for the course was a gear puller. When I pulled the metal from the bin, it was supposed to be carbon steel that was heat treatable. I should have double checked. I wasted my time and the instructor's time trying to heat treat steel that wasn't treatable. :s0054:

Eventually I want a shop with a mill, lathe, vises, anvil, oven, grinder and a welding/cutting setup and then take some courses to learn how to use them properly.

Right now I just want the basics; got some decent tables (metal and wood), a small vise. Looking at a grinder on a pedestal. Want to get a drill press. I have the shop, a hoist and a few tools, but I need some of the other basics.

I'd keep a look on CL and buy older tools, they are made way better so you will get a lot better equipment for way less.

At least that's what my knife making buddy did and has professional tools for home repair prices.

Machines like metal lathes, mills and even drill mills ultimately end up being the least of the cost. Accessories and tooling cost can out pace the cost of buying whatever thats already finished if you aren't careful. Unless you foresee many projects in its life, my opine is If you can jig and fixture good results with more universal and basic tools, and just a little more time, it is worth considering.

I've seen what happens when a drill press is used and I'd be embarrassed to show off the results of I made it myself. Unless you're gonna go through the effort to essentially turn your drill press into a mill, don't bother

If the choice is a router vs drill press for a lower, router no question. A mill has a steeper learning curve though if you'd like to do other stuff later and want to invest the time and money, it could be a good option. I had sorta the same goals but i have a 44 year head start. Plus I've spent my life in manufacturing so I got to pick up a lot of experience.

So, for lowers, for now, a router. But in my world a lathe and mill are indispensable (plus a perfect way to avoid extra cash LOL)

You might consider having a machine shop do the job for you using a milling machine. It would take so little time that the cost would be marginal. Personally, I have a heavy duty drill press that will take side loading very well, especially at lower speeds.

That would not be legal - remember the guy in California who leased out his equipment, and then actually did the work for people? How much trouble he got into?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top