JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have several rifles that are fairly rare and because of that rarity the market price has increased from well under $1K to $3-6K asking prices. I don't intend to ever sell these rifles - despite the market price, worth too much to me as self-defense SHTF rifles due to their unique configuration and the fact that they were owned before any BGC laws.

None are not NIB, but some are in good shape. One got neglected and due to mice had some rust on it. All of these rifles are almost totally metal (mostly steel, two grips are plastic, one easily removable, one folding and riveted) and have basic cheap blueing so not very rust resistant.

I was thinking of parkerizing them, but then thought about electroless nickel as it . I would like them to be at least a dull matte somewhat dark color (at least greyish). I think the matte would not be a problem, but I am wondering about color - I would prefer black. Do gunsmiths who do electroless nickel plating general have the capability of doing darker colors?

IIWM, I'd parkerize, blue or cerakote. Nickel is thicker than the other coatings and may require fitting (metal removal) to account for the tolerance build up. It's also getting harder to find a good plater at a decent price due to environmental regulations.

IIWM, I'd parkerize, blue or cerakote. Nickel is thicker than the other coatings and may require fitting (metal removal) to account for the tolerance build up. It's also getting harder to find a good plater at a decent price due to environmental regulations.
I believe that electroless nickel is not a plating process but similar to parkerizing??!!??

Electroless nickel is generally applied to a thickness range of 25 to 150 microns (0.0001" to 0.0015") typically does not require further surface finishing, machining or grinding after plating.

This particular firearm model has loose tolerances. The only places I think one would need to be careful about additive layers would be the bolt, chamber and bore. The other sliding surfaces have plenty of space - it was designed that way.

A few years ago I did a number of firearms in EN and none of them required any metal removal. I was one the folks who built the Detonics 45 Associates and we never had any problems. Additionally, this finish can be colored a number of ways and can include a matte finish.

That being said, I suggest you leave it as is. I would remove whatever rust is present using a SS steel wool pad. Then just apply a reasonable amount of oil - such as Corrosion-X.

CCR has what you are looking for with a dark Electroless Nickel called Dusk which looks really nice.
nt3Ax5Oh.jpg

A few years ago I did a number of firearms in EN and none of them required any metal removal. I was one the folks who built the Detonics 45 Associates and we never had any problems. Additionally, this finish can be colored a number of ways and can include a matte finish.

That being said, I suggest you leave it as is. I would remove whatever rust is present using a SS steel wool pad. Then just apply a reasonable amount of oil - such as Corrosion-X.
And the reason the nickel slides fit the nickel frames was that those of us that worked in the prep area in the back of the shop pre fitted the parts looser before they were sent out to the plater. Fitting was tighter for the blue and hard chrome than the nickel.

Skip nickel, unless you be pimpin'. If you want a finish that will last, hard chrome applied to a bead or sand blasted surface. Love this finish, it bonds directly to the surface it does not require a copper substrate to "stick" like nickel. It is a mechanical surface not cosmetic. It can be applied in specific thicknesses unlike nickel. It has a a natural lubricity, it be slick. It does not corrode. It is used on bearing surfaces in jet engines. Place a hard chromed gun next to a stainless gun and the stainless looks yellow in comparison. The drawback is it can be pricey and difficult to find someone to do it.q

Hard Chrome is a much longer lasting surface and it can be done in a number of different colors.

Electrolytic Nickel requires the copper under coating but Electroless Nickel does not.
CCR has what you are looking for with a dark Electroless Nickel called Dusk which looks really nice.
View attachment 760516

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads