JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you think depreciation is on a previously purchased gun is. If you buy a brand new car and drive it off the lot but don't drive it again you still lose big time right. What about guns. A guy had a gun listed that was a dollar more than a LGS has them. The gun manufacturers warranty applies to the original purchaser only. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all guns are worth more to the owner than the buyer so is it out of line to offer 80% of the asking price without it being taken as an insult to the seller? (he did) If I wanted to pay full sticker price I would buy brand new.:huh:

There are allot of people who are willing to pay a premium to buy a gun that isnt registered to them. These people are willing to pay extra for anonymity. You are bidding against these people.
You shouldnt be afraid to make an offer, but you can't be surprised if/when they say no.

The market for guns and the car market have little to nothing in common.
There's an old saying in the car business. You know that loud sound your new car makes when you drive it off of the lot for the first time? That's 30% of it's value falling off. That simply doesnt apply to guns.

What do you think depreciation is on a previously purchased gun is. If you buy a brand new car and drive it off the lot but don't drive it again you still lose big time right. What about guns. A guy had a gun listed that was a dollar more than a LGS has them. The gun manufacturers warranty applies to the original purchaser only. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all guns are worth more to the owner than the buyer so is it out of line to offer 80% of the asking price without it being taken as an insult to the seller? (he did) If I wanted to pay full sticker price I would buy brand new.:huh:

Sorry, I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you if the seller is going to be insulted, except the seller. FWIW, if I sell something I typically price it for more then I want to make, as I feel most people do. That way you have room to move if an offer comes along. I say ask him, the worst he can say is no. I offered a guy less then what he wanted on a Mosin, he politely declined and that was the end of it. If he gets all bent out of shape, then don't buy from him.

Guns don't wear out as fast as cars do, so their depreciation usually doesn't even keep up with inflation, especially if they aren't made any more. That said, I'd never pay the same as a new one could be bought for.

I have a Winchester Model 1895 c1905 in 30-40 Krag. Its a rather nice one.

in 1968 I stood next to my dad at the Albany Gun Show at the old Fair grounds and watched him pay $125.00 for that rifle. He figured he got a good deal

Last weekend I went to the Salem Gun show and looked at a Model 1895 in a much lesser grade and lower condition then mine. It was priced at $2495.00

What depreciation are you talking about?

In 1980 I bought a used Ruger Model M77R in 30-06 for $300.00

today on Gun Broker that tang safety M77R will sell for arond $450.00 to 500.00 about the same at any local show.

Guns very rarely depreciate in value

There are allot of people who are willing to pay a premium to buy a gun that isnt registered to them. These people are willing to pay extra for anonymity. You are bidding against these people.
You shouldnt be afraid to make an offer, but you can't be surprised if/when they say no.

There's an old saying in the car business. You know that loud sound your new car makes when you drive it off of the lot for the first time? That's 30% of it's value falling off. That simply doesnt apply to guns.

I guess I've got enough guns ("registered" and UNregistered) I'm not gonna pay any extra for a used gun that is not in my name, though I DO understand there are people that will.

Personally if I'm buying a gun from a private party I'd rather buy one that has been fired, and is priced like it. The first thing I'm gonna do is fire 200-300 rounds through it anyway to "break it in" and prove itself.

I'll have to disagree,cause I would never buy a gun that was ANIB for the same price as I could get it with a warranty.It would be stupid to do that.
Unless it is some very special commemorative model with limited numbers.

Guns are very much like cars in this respect.
Go buy a gun from a dealer THAT YOU DON'T KNOW,then go back,even that afternoon and take it back
Why would they give you full price for it? Most customers won't give them full price for it.It is now a used gun,shot or not.
They will give you whatever percentage of WHOLESALE (right around 80%) for the gun,because they will probably only be able to sell the gun for 80% of retail.
Any body that will pay retail for a ANIB "used" gun doesn't do their homework.

So as soon as you walk out the store the gun is worth about 80% of what you just paid for it.
Now that's in the smarter neighborhoods,YMMV

Lay a brand new Marlin 336C beside one made in 1960 and you'll quickly see why the older gun in good condition is worth more.

Now this is a horse of a different color (you know like one that would be carrying a lever gun? Hey it's funny)

Yeah,there are some older guns that are worth way more than the original price

"What about Classic guns, like old S&W revolvers, and broomhandle mausers? don't they get more valuable as time goes by?"
Yup, just like tri-5 Chevies, Indian Motorcycles, and 356 Porsches. My wife and I are reconditioning a 1949 Chevy Suburban, which will likely cost as much as a new one, and it will be worth it. I would much rather have a 5-screw Mod 27 than any S&W .357 NIB of current manufacture, or a pre-'64 Win Mod 94 than a new Marlin lever gun. OTOH Hi-Points and Jiminez pistols appreciate like a Yugo. The shop that currently has our beloved 'Burb has a black supercharged Avanti that makes me weak in the knees just to look at, just like the .375H&H Sidelock Double in the RCBS display case in the factory store. Some guns and some cars and bikes represent a Weltanschauung of engineering and aesthetics that is too expensive to replicate today.

When used glocks selling for $500+ stop being common place, i'll put more credence into your post. :s0112:

There are several reasons for this, assuming they are actually SELLING for $500. I'm guessing a $500 Glock doesn't commonly sell for $500 used, but when they do it's because;
1)Newbs that don't really know anything about guns hear "GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK" in their rap songs and think "Wow, Glocks must be the best gun ever since KOOL MOE WHATSHISFACE is rapping about them. $500 must be a STEAL!"
2) Since it's a common belief that Glocks are good for 1,000,000+ trouble free rounds, someone who doesn't feel like shopping around might justify (to themselves at least) that a 500 round Glock still has 999,500 rounds left on it, so it must be worth 99.95% of the new value.:s0114:

If you're talking about someone on here then its common for the price jack up. I see 300 dollar kel tecs and 600 dollar glocks with 1k rounds down the tube. I think its a mix of wanting an unregistered gun and a lot of people who simply can't pass NICS. Personally I'd get a frickin friend and straw purchase it but to each their own I guess. I agree with you 100% though, with the exception of the classic beauties these other smart mouths mentioned a used gun should be sold at 80% minimum. It's also easy to sell someone a lemon, especially if they are eager

There are several reasons for this, assuming they are actually SELLING for $500. I'm guessing a $500 Glock doesn't commonly sell for $500 used, but when they do it's because;
1)Newbs that don't really know anything about guns hear "GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK" in their rap songs and think "Wow, Glocks must be the best gun ever since KOOL MOE WHATSHISFACE is rapping about them. $500 must be a STEAL!"
2) Since it's a common belief that Glocks are good for 1,000,000+ trouble free rounds, someone who doesn't feel like shopping around might justify (to themselves at least) that a 500 round Glock still has 999,500 rounds left on it, so it must be worth 99.95% of the new value.:s0114:

They do commonly sell used for $500+.
It's not usually noobs or glock worshipers, it's usually old curmudgeons who want something reliable but dont want big brother to know they have it.
I've heard frequently, "they cant take it from you if they dont know you have it."

Personally, it's not a big deal to me.
I have a chl and multiple guns purchased and registered in my name. The cat is out of the bag. I wont pay more for a used gun because it's not registered to me. But a gun is not worth what I'M willing to pay for it, it's worth what SOMEONE is willing to pay for it.
If 20 people are willing to pay $400 for a used glock, and one person is willing to pay $500, that gun will sell for $500, to h*ll with the opinion of the majority.

They do commonly sell used for $500+.

But a gun is not worth what I'M willing to pay for it, it's worth what SOMEONE is willing to pay for it.
If 20 people are willing to pay $400 for a used glock, and one person is willing to pay $500, that gun will sell for $500, to h*ll with the opinion of the majority.

So if some idiot is willing to pay, say $2000 for a standard Glock, Glocks are now worth $2000? Now I understand where some of the pricing is coming from on this forum.

If 20 people have Glocks for sale for $400 each and 1 guy is willing to pay $500, how much are they worth?
How about if 20 people have Glocks for sale for $500 and there's 20 people that will pay no more than $400 and 1 guy that will pay $500, knowing there are 40 BRAND NEW Glocks in stores for $500, should the sellers hold out for $500?

Also I think you are confusing the term "commonly" with the term "might possibly". I know quite a few people who have bought and sold used Glocks (I myself have dealt with 4) nobody I know has ever paid or sold a used Glock for more than $450 (unless there where a lot of extras involved).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top