JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out shooting clay with some friends yesterday. 150 rounds of 12Ga + 25 rounds of 3" 00-buck and 10 rounds of 2.75" slug (per person, there were three of us).... Many pigeons, watermelon, cantaloupe, and dirt clods were destroyed yesterday.

My shoulder is so sore today! I have to say... 00-buck is one of my favorite defense rounds... forget the 9mm vs. .45 debate --- 12ga 00-buck wins! Too bad you can't conceal carry a shotgun :(

Edit: Took some video of the carnage with my iPhone - but sadly it isn't 100% PG rated (due to language from others in the group) and I don't have any advanced video editing software to bleep things out... So I won't post it up here.

I have a Remington 870 as well. Gotta love the pump action but they definitely kick a bit. My Limbsaver was worth every penny! My friend has a Mosin that the butt pad is a piece of steel. Not too shoulder friendly. He got a Limbsaver for it that slips on so it fits many different things. It makes it so you can actually enjoy putting some rounds through it.

They are also available for purchase around town. Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsmans Warehouse) usually has a variety in stock. Bimart has an assortment of them for the more popular model guns. Remington 1100 and 870 should not be too hard to find.

If you have an 870 with synthetic stock, then you'll need Limbsaver part number: 10101. If you have a wood stocked 870(Wingmaster), you'll need Limbsaver part number: 10102

Picked one up for my dad's A-Bolt in .338 Win-Mag and one for my brother's 870 clone. They work great and are a real improvement over the stock butt pad.

Blasting a tasty watermelon on a hot day in Oregon shows where timbernets' priorities are. Hope you saved one from the "Vaporizer"!

The watermelons were from the local Grocery Outlet -- they were dirt cheap (like $2? $2.50?) and they all looked pretty small and nasty. So we picked a few up... then went inside and found cantaloupe for $0.99 each... got a few of those, again, they didn't look edible....

Then went to Fred Meyers and bought a real watermelon and ate that!

Mark's recpe for SAVING SHOTGUN SHOULDER
Use number 5 bird shot for the defensive round. The knockdown power is almost the same as 00-buck up to 50 feet.
I didj't believe it until I saw an expert shotgunner prove it.
I wish I can remember the link to share here.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet....

Bird shot barely kills birds sometimes.....

Just ask Dick Cheney and Harry Whittington........

Though....I'm not 22" thick (except maybe my midsection) so birdshot would pass right through me. I'd rather use birdshot then be looking around for that 00 buck in a home defense situation.

Mark's recpe for SAVING SHOTGUN SHOULDER
Use number 5 bird shot for the defensive round. The knockdown power is almost the same as 00-buck up to 50 feet.
I didj't believe it until I saw an expert shotgunner prove it.
I wish I can remember the link to share here.

Advice like this could get someone killed. Birdshot is for birds. Period.

Well, if someone were to bust down my door and come stomping into my house, and the handiest bangstick I had was my decrepit old Number Twelve, and the first shells I could lay hands on were #5 bird, I'd not hesitate a second to install a few (hoping the plug was already out), point the stick and start making some noise. And if the perp really didn't appreciate my using birdshop, well, next time he should consider making an appointment so I can have the "proper" size shot to hand.

I didn't give anyone advise. Feel free to refute what I posted.

Well you sure do share "recipes" for saving your shoulder that state that birdshot and buckshot have the same "knockdown power" [sic] out to 50 yards, which is complete bunk.

<broken link removed> is an article discussing proper selection of 12ga defensive ammunition.

And I quote :

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop (emphasis added), especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound."

What birdshot does to soft tissue, and particularly what it does to melons and other fun reactive stuff while out dirt shooting leads some to believe that it has that "stopping power" while in reality it does not have the capability to penetrate and stop someone by destroying vital organs, which is really what you want when you've made to decision to use deadly force...

Birdshot is great for practice, for shooting clays and targets and yes of course birds themselves, but people I implore you unless its SHTF and you've gone through everything else keeping the zombies at bay PLEASE don't load your defensive shotguns with birdshot or rocksalt, you are doing yourself a disservice if you ever have to use that weapon to stop a deadly threat RFN.

ETA: Not that I'm necessarily saying it (birdshot) won't ever to the trick in a defensive, but I'll take the best odds I can get because you never know how hardcore the person you might have to defend yourself against might be.

ETA: Here's another link with a story illustrating why birdshot for defense is a bad idea http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=315025&highlight=birdshot

ETAA: Moar linkage: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

Well, if someone were to bust down my door and come stomping into my house, and the handiest bangstick I had was my decrepit old Number Twelve, and the first shells I could lay hands on were #5 bird, I'd not hesitate a second to install a few (hoping the plug was already out), point the stick and start making some noise. And if the perp really didn't appreciate my using birdshop, well, next time he should consider making an appointment so I can have the "proper" size shot to hand.

Your plan is to load your defensive weapon AFTER someone has broken into your house?

Sorry to take your thread to far off topic OP... a recoil pad and some work on your grip/stance will probably do wonders for your shoulder but since I haven't seen you shoot I cant really add any specific pointers in the grip/stance dept.

Sorry to take your thread to far off topic OP... a recoil pad and some work on your grip/stance will probably do wonders for your shoulder but since I haven't seen you shoot I cant really add any specific pointers in the grip/stance dept.

No worries. I think it is mainly the recoil pad more than stance. (I think :) )

I think after 135 rounds in a row (talking about an hour here) and then a fair number of 3" shells, etc - even with great stance it will get to you.

(and I leave my home defense shotgun loaded with 00-buck)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top