JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why all the time and energy invested in examining it? I can tell you whether it's live on not in about 5 seconds. :D

But seriously...if it is live they're not going to keep something that old around anyway. They'll blow it up. So make sure down range is clear, pull that pin and give it a toss. Let's see what happens! :)

Why all the time and energy invested in examining it? I can tell you whether it's live on not in about 5 seconds. :D

But seriously...if it is live they're not going to keep something that old around anyway. They'll blow it up. So make sure down range is clear, pull that pin and give it a toss. Let's see what happens! :)

Yeah, what's the worst that could happen.... it'd blow up? :rolleyes:

:s0140:

There was a Grenade factory near the Saint John's Bridge east side ( Schnitzer Steel ) not far from Oregon Steel Mill during WW2 that turned out millions of them! The employees are known to have taken several, usually bad castings that we're going to be crushed and re cast, but some times a live one made it out in somebody's lunch bucket!

We found a couple of 37mm ap/tracer rounds in my grandparents attic, grandpa was gonna make lamps....:rolleyes:

New in the cardboard shipping tubes, dated '42...was a fun call, "Hi, what do I need to do about live ordnance?" :p

Are they stable after 70 years?

What if it didn't explode - had a hang fire? How long would you wait before approaching?

Something that old, that I have no training/experience with, I would call the experts too.

That said, I still don't know what my dad did with his blasting caps that were 50 years old. Maybe he took my advice and gave them to someone with a license?

A live grenade, great souvenir. All these years later, I think back on all the stuff I could've stolen. Trucks, even. Who's gonna stop a 5 ton cargo truck rolling down the road with a guy in fatigues at the wheel? In a reserve units, it might take weeks for something like that to be missed. National Guard and USAR vehicle parks used to be very lax in security pre 9-11. Pre security cameras everywhere. I'm surprised more military vehicles didn't disappear. Or maybe they did, we just didn't hear about it. Back in the early 1970's, I knew a guy who had one of those aluminum body M422 Mighty Mites, the "jeep" made for the USMC. I asked him how he got it. He said a friend stole most of it from the USMC Depot at Barstow, Calif. I said, "You don't just put one of those in a lunch pail." He explained that the aluminum body was fork-lifted over a fence, then hauled away after dark.

When I was in Vietnam, yes, vehicles and weapons did get stolen. But mostly they went to other units, didn't leave country. Some of them changed sides, so to speak.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top