JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If passed
Education of drivers is the KEY!

I figure they do educate drivers, they educated me in 1972 and I still follow the general rules of the road. What I see now is drivers that completely ignore those general rules. I don't know how you get them to drive by those general rules. Heck, it would seem you can't even get people to look both ways before crossing a street anymore with all the pedestrians that get hit by cars!

I figure they do educate drivers, they educated me in 1972 and I still follow the general rules of the road. What I see now is drivers that completely ignore those general rules. I don't know how you get them to drive by those general rules. Heck, it would seem you can't even get people to look both ways before crossing a street anymore with all the pedestrians that get hit by cars!

I ment of the new change.... as putting it on the ODOT reader board's on I5.

When riding around Caldwell and Boise on I 84 the board would flash BE AWARE OF MOTORCYCLES!

I ment of the new change.... as putting it on the ODOT reader board's on I5.

When riding around Caldwell and Boise on I 84 the board would flash BE AWARE OF MOTORCYCLES!

LOL....In Portland motorists are constantly cautioned to watch out for bicyclists and pedestrians, yet there are NO cautions to bicyclists and pedestrians to watch out for cars! They set up stings with a person standing on a corner and ticket cars that don't STOP and allow the ped to cross. LOL As a driver of a 4000 pound vehicle I have all kinds of things to watch for, and at times I'm not looking at the person standing on the corner because there's a door being opened into traffic, a car backing out into traffic, etc. LOL

Off topic some I know, point is I don't think those reader boards would help. Also, in traffic, that's likely to be running slow, I don't pay near as much attention to behind me, (where cycles would be coming from) as I do in front of me.

:s0140::s0140::s0140:
Apparently you haven't commuted in puget sound very much.
Looking at the population in Boise yesterday and it would need to multiply 100 X to get even close to the traffic jam known as puget sound
I didn't lose anything there so there is no reason for me to go there.Your right I am smart enough to stay away from there.

Well, i could write of my thousands of miles logged lane SHARING (not splitting) in CA, but...I am all for this, with education for the masses, as mentioned already. People think it's selfish, but who cares, if the rider obeys basic safety rules.
Yes, in CA there are tons of idiots!
And, I rode a crotch rocket and although probably the minority, never lane shared like an idiot.
It help my traffic move along and not waste time that is obviously forced on a 4+ wheel vehicle.

I ran into 1 or 2 people that were dicks, but for the most part, people moved over for me, and many of the respectful bikers lane sharing. Yes, there were the idiots on bikes, just like the idiots in cars.

Not that this matters to any of you, but that's whats keeping me from getting another bike here in WA. I would be naturally lane sharing, getting people pissed off, and getting tickets every day! :)

SO, I'll keep pushing for this.

Peace, ;)
Michael J.

LOL....In Portland motorists are constantly cautioned to watch out for bicyclists and pedestrians, yet there are NO cautions to bicyclists and pedestrians to watch out for cars! They set up stings with a person standing on a corner and ticket cars that don't STOP and allow the ped to cross. LOL As a driver of a 4000 pound vehicle I have all kinds of things to watch for, and at times I'm not looking at the person standing on the corner because there's a door being opened into traffic, a car backing out into traffic, etc. LOL

Off topic some I know, point is I don't think those reader boards would help. Also, in traffic, that's likely to be running slow, I don't pay near as much attention to behind me, (where cycles would be coming from) as I do in front of me.

They can be Blind and Deaf.... The pipes on my Gal's HD were not stock but not really very loud.

For X mas I got her a set of Bassini Radius Sweepers, great looking and louder.

She is now Loud and Proud!
LMAO

This thread is disturbing. All we're missing, to make this a wonderful "assault weapons" analogy, is for someone to add, "No one needs a bike that powerful".

It's got all the other elements: judging the many by the actions of the few; using examples of behavior that's already illegal and has nothing to do with what's being proposed; wishing injury on people doing stuff you don't like; having no understanding of the thing being regulated, but being eager to regulate it anyway ...

Just sayin'.

This thread is disturbing. All we're missing, to make this a wonderful "assault weapons" analogy, is for someone to add, "No one needs a bike that powerful".

It's got all the other elements: judging the many by the actions of the few; using examples of behavior that's already illegal and has nothing to do with what's being proposed; wishing injury on people doing stuff you don't like; having no understanding of the thing being regulated, but being eager to regulate it anyway ...

Just sayin'.

Hey! Welcome to NWFA! Heh, jump right on in. :s0155:

My last bike was air cooled - loved it. 1200cc's of crotch rocket:p

On a group ride of 30 or so we were heading back into Vancouver going south on I-5 and hit a massive traffic jam at 8pm in the summer (so still lots of light left).

I puttered along for as long as I could and not long after slowing down I see heat waves coming up off the engine.

Just so happens that there were two big ol shoulders on that free way and I moved onto one of them.

Traffic was moving at about 5-10 mph and I only went fast enough to keep the bike cool (maybe 20-25).

Turns out it was construction for the fair grounds and I came up on a bunch of flashing police lights.

They didn't care at all and actually made a little room for me to keep going on the shoulder before I could get back on the freeway.

I made it home an hour before my buddy who lives 1 mile from my house.

No one got uppity and all was fine - he just had a wife that would sell his bike if he got a ticket and mine knows me well enough not to be surprised at some off the wall behavior occasionally.

Are there moron drivers and riders out there - yup... but that doesn't mean we all are.

When your on a 500-1000lb bike with 3500-6000lb vehicles, you tend to ride as if you life depends on it.

If lane splitting became legal, I would certainly consider riding in the roads again but I'd have to think about it a lot.

I offer my callous and jaundiced view of a former EMT who has attended hundreds of motorcycle crashes, and seen more traumatic injuries and spilled brains and guts and death than most people ever will see.

In one of my previous careers as a young man I was a long haul truck driver. Sitting in my fully loaded Freighliner at a complete stand still on the eastbound 10 just outside of Ontario CA, I looked in my mirror and saw a donor cycle lane splitting at about 55 mph when a motorist opens his door and steps out to see what the hold up was. The donor cycle hits the motorist and tears the door off the car, throws the motorist about a 100 feet ahead with fatal traumatic head and chest injuries, and the guy on the donor cycle launches about 200 feet minus his helmet with a broken neck and smashes into the back of a flatbed truck and is deader than can be.

Split lanes if you want but I saw it cause the death of two people, so it seems a bad idea to me. But the driving habitats of most Americans are so bad that it really does not make much difference what you do, people are going to get hurt and die regardless, it is just a shame that innocent people have to die rather than the not so smart instigators.

When your on a 500-1000lb bike with 3500-6000lb vehicles, you tend to ride as if you life depends on it.

Ahh...... a rider who understands the basic law of physics and motion. Too many think that the laws of man can over ride the laws of physics and nature. Mass, weight, velocity and acceleration and all that bunk.

Any realistic biker knows that it's not if you will have an accident it's that you WILL have an accident.

Some lucky people may avoid that fact but most will have a minor accident at the least.

I'm one of the unlucky ones - getting thrown off a bike with protective gear on at 35 hurts like hell and is one of the more painful things that has happened to me.

The only way I see this working is that there is an app telling the clueless texting car driver that a motorcycle is coming up behind them at a high rate of speed.

Any realistic biker knows that it's not if you will have an accident it's that you WILL have an accident.

Some lucky people may avoid that fact but most will have a minor accident at the least.

I'm one of the unlucky ones - getting thrown off a bike with protective gear on at 35 hurts like hell and is one of the more painful things that has happened to me.
It hurts even more at 85 MPH:(

I've yet to see a crotch rocket rider drive with care and consideration.

My old friend and shooting buddy told me how he as a crotch rocket owner and racer Hated the A Hole's them that had to ride as if on a race track.

He raced on tracks and RODE on the street..... Kevin McEntire was killed a couple years ago, by a crotch rocket rider that over shot a curve an hit my buddy.... he died 5 days later the A hole lived!!!

Kevin was the owner of KKM Precision Barrels. We would get together on his boat on the oregon coast of coos bay. Talk Krap and remember on old days before starting The barrel biz.

Today his son is running the company and doing very well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top