JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My belief is 15 mph is the danger zone. That is, if speed is more that that differential, bad things can happen.

You can see this where there is an exit. Cars stopped in one lane, the other going over 15 - when somebody pulls out ...

Once auto-drive becomes the norm, then lane splitting has to end.

My understanding of the terms:
Lane Sharing - is where 2 vehicles share the same space - ie 2 bikes side by side.
Lane splitting - is where you are riding on the dividing space, the stripes. More junk there - gravel /garbage - and paint is slippy when wet.
Lane filtering - is where hte bikes can move to the front of the queue on red lights.

Lane splitting while traffic is flowing: no

Want to ride up and get into a non crunch zone when traffic is stopped at a light: sure

I do NOT need another thing to look out for when changing lanes in traffic and I think a lot of people see it that way too.

I am not a rider. I say the above because I don't want somebody's head through a window out of safety. I am a good driver, 20 years no wrecks, 1 ticket and I've avoided numerous accidents.

My problem is of the bubblegums who lane split, who's responsible for their loud pipes in my left ear or in the right ear of my passenger. That bubblegum is what pisses me off the most. Loud pipes don't save lives, they make me want to beat your face in when I have ringing in my ears for 10 minutes after you go by.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they make me want to beat your face in when I have ringing in my ears for 10 minutes after you go by.

I can only like it once, so I quoted you. "LIKE" AND agree! There's one advantage to when those richards are hammering the throttle with no muffling of any kind, I can scream obscenities at them as loud as I can and they don't hear me!

when you split traffic the most dangerous place to be is between a a car and an empty spot in your lane------and actually that covers ALL times when you are near a car.
The safest place is between the cars----definitely not behind one. Too much texting.

Lane splitting while traffic is flowing: no

Want to ride up and get into a non crunch zone when traffic is stopped at a light: sure

I do NOT need another thing to look out for when changing lanes in traffic and I think a lot of people see it that way too.

I am not a rider. I say the above because I don't want somebody's head through a window out of safety. I am a good driver, 20 years no wrecks, 1 ticket and I've avoided numerous accidents.

My problem is of the bubblegums who lane split, who's responsible for their loud pipes in my left ear or in the right ear of my passenger. That bubblegum is what pisses me off the most. Loud pipes don't save lives, they make me want to beat your face in when I have ringing in my ears for 10 minutes after you go by.

I can understand where your coming from but have you ever heard the crappy horns they put on bikes from the factory? I'd be better if with an aftermarket bicycle bell.

My loud exhaust save my bacon a few times, revving it to get someone's attention or to keep them from pulling out and cutting me off etc.

The cruisers can get rediculous though so I'll agree on that one.

Why I don't like lane splitting:
<broken link removed>

That's more like lane cutting.

Imo splitting is shoulder riding or between lanes when traffic is at stop and go speeds and you going 10mph faster in the middle.

I don't ride anymore because of the drivers up here.

The further I get from my wreck though the more I want another bike. (Sport bike not cruiser).

He had his signal on but when your lane splitting and going to fast its easy to run up on cars and not see a turn signal. :eek:
I had this exact same thing happen to me down in Clackamas and the fellow took my mirror off, and he tried to blame me. This fellow was seen by several witnesses doing wheelies while lane splitting right before he sideswiped me and then landed in the bushes down by the Fred Myers warehouse.

Why I don't like lane splitting:
<broken link removed>

True, there are some people out there that abuse their privileges/rights. That doesn't mean the good riders should pay for their misdeeds any more than the good gun owners should pay for the bad gun owners (criminals, etc.) by restricting them.

The further I get from my wreck though the more I want another bike. (Sport bike not cruiser).

ST - Sport Tour

I got a nice, NIB, 2014 VerSys 650 this past summer - a couple of K off the list price.
2015 made the next gen of the VerSys, so you might think that way too.

Now is not the best time to look - that would be end of summer / fall when guys start thinking of having to explain why they are storing a bike. But there are many low mileage rides sitting in garages/ storage units around.

ST - Sport Tour

I got a nice, NIB, 2014 VerSys 650 this past summer - a couple of K off the list price.
2015 made the next gen of the VerSys, so you might think that way too.

Now is not the best time to look - that would be end of summer / fall when guys start thinking of having to explain why they are storing a bike. But there are many low mileage rides sitting in garages/ storage units around.

Might be the way I go if I have to commute to a job when I find one - will depend on whatever vehicle is cheaper until I build my savings up enough.

Although a new gun may always take priority when I do have extra cash:D

That's exactly the mindset were fighting against as gun owners.

In my eyes, properly lane splitting is more safe then sitting between bumpers in traffic.
Ive put good miles on motorcycles and have been hit by a car on one.

Sure, not every motorcyclist is a perfect example of smart riding, but you can say that about anything.

The only thing that has kept me safe on a motorcycle is creating space between you and cars. Ive had too many close call riding with traffic because of people not paying attention. (Cell phones, eating, inattentiveness, you name it).

All lane splitting or filtering does (when executed properly) is help with traffic and keep motorcyclists away from bumpers.

So sure, people on 4 wheels would have to pay more attention :eek:. But that wouldnt hurt anyways

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top