Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon Sheriff: UBC wont be enforced April 15, 2015

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by tkdguy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Oregon
    Oregon sheriff says proposed gun background-check law won't be enforced
    Published April 15, 2015
    FoxNews.com
    Facebook117 Twitter157 livefyre2348 Email Print
    An Oregon sheriff said Tuesday that he will not enforce an upcoming state law that expands gun background checks to include private sales, The Herald and News reported.

Sheriff Dave Daniel, from Josephine County, which sits on the border with California, told the paper that it appears that the law is not in line with the county’s charter and said he does not have the personnel to pursue violators committing a misdemeanor.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

The Oregonian reported that Senate Bill 941, which passed the state Senate on Tuesday, calls for criminal background checks for private gun transfers. The Beaver State would become the 12th state to adopt the policy. The state already requires a background check at dealerships.

Like any gun law, supporters say any measure that makes it more difficult for a criminal to obtain a firearm is positive. On the other hand, those opposed say criminals will manage to get their hands on a gun anyway and will not be scared off at the thought of committing a Class B misdemeanor.

'I have felonies going on daily in Josephine County. That’s my priorities.'
    - Sheriff Dave Daniel

The Herald and News report pointed out that Daniel is in a precarious position because state law would seemingly trump the county charter. But Daniel appeared to play down the significance of the law.

"I can't enforce that law, so therefore it won't be enforced," Daniel told the paper. He continued, "I have felonies going on daily in Josephine County. That's my priorities."

2. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Emailed my Sheriff:

NoFlinch likes this.
  3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I sent a similar email to my Sheriff last week and, while I did get a response in opposition to SB 941, deferring to the position of the Oregon State Sheriff's Association, rather than taking a more personal stand, and stopping short of saying it wouldn't be enforced. I had hoped for more (Clackamas County), but for now, no such luck.

NoFlinch likes this.
  4. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

The Sheriff is well within his rights to use discretion when it comes to enforcing the law.

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

While I now just got a response from mine, it's not counted as an official letterhead..

Terms such as "no way to enforce this" came up and opposing "complete registration".

Satiated my thirst. It's exactly how I imagined it to be based on our previous correspondence.

6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

That's fine, but who runs the State Police?

Answer: the governor.

If you break a state law, who can enforce it?

Answer: the state police.

Who could run a sting op?

Answer: the state police.

Sheriffs making statements is nice, but if the law passes and is enacted, that will have little real world effect as everybody the law applies to (i.e., civilians) will need to comply or risk arrest and prison.

7. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint Portland Well-Known Member

cops only say they wont act on this because they dont have you pulled over , bent over the hood of a car, or cuffed ....its lip service propaganda

lets see if you dont get arrested;)

8. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Also, once arrested, it is the DA who decides what to charge you with.

9. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Clackamas county will enforce any law that puts people thru the system.

10. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

So is he asking for:

a) More $$ and thus deputies to enforce it?

b) Higher penalty (felony) and then he'll enforce it?

11. dbpep

dbpep Southern Oregon Member

I don't see anything about the Sheriff saying that he doesn't support the bill. Unless he's just being tactical with his words it sounds like he wants more money and more patrolman.

12. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter