JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it were that easy, all states would be red and we wouldn't have the problems we are having. You're making the mistake of generalizing from just one snapshot in time (now), but you're forgetting that these kinds of developments happen in cycles. I guess it's human nature to think what's happening now is the final direction, none of this is new, and this isn't the last time we are seeing this either. As long as the US keeps its federal organization, and there will always be low tax/low service and high tax/high service states. I personally think that's a good thing. Conservative wackos can live in TX, and liberal elitists can live in Privilegeville, Connecticut. ;)

As for your examples with companies moving to low-tax states, that's a pretty limited development. If this were representative of what companies do, they would already all be in TX, or in Mexico for that matter. Again, this isn't a new development. When the European Union opened up to poor eastern countries, rich countries like Germany were scared sh1tless because they feared companies would all wander off to Poland, the Czech Republic, etc. None of this happened except in a few cases. The bottom line is, companies love low taxes and low environmental standards, but they also love a highly educated workforce and attractive places to live for their employees and their families.

Really? If the only alternative is being a Republican? Also just sayin'...

That is a false dichotomy, and not what I am saying at all.
I think Parties in general tend to support Party first, Country second.
I think everyone should identify themselves as independents, study the issues and platforms in depth, and vote accordingly. A pipe dream, I know. (Sigh.):(

When people identify themselves as "belonging" to a particular Party, they tend to unquestioningly vote Party line. They believe that their Party is superior in it's motives and principles to other parties. They become lazy and comfortable with allowing others to do the research on the issues and the building of the platform. It becomes a spectator sport, where you cheer "your" team, and cry foul at every move the opponent makes.

When you think you "belong" to a particular Party, rest assured that they, in turn, believe they "own" you. You are money in their bank account. They know they can count on your vote, so they move on to pander to other voters. Your vote is a given, so why worry about you? Even if you voice your concerns about what you perceive as bad policy, they won't worry about it, because you can always be counted on to vote for "your team".

If everyone quit both major Parties, and became Independents who demanded solutions to such major problems as the debt, Social Security, and deficit spending, politicians would be forced to actually seek those solutions rather than using those issues as political footballs for Party advantage or gain.

Yes, I agree, well said. Unfortunately most people think that the only way to have a voice is to be part of either the Democratic or the Republican party. Which is wrong, but as you said, people tend to be lazy and subscribing to one party line is the easy way.

Having said the above, I will point out though, that when it comes to the Second Amendment the Democrats are THE party of Gun Control. On that basis alone, if all else were equal, they deserve to be thrown under the bus, dragged out from underneath, and thrown under again.

To continue to support a party with gun control as part of their platform is unPatriotic, IMHO.
So is supporting any party that would embrace ANY reductions or infringements on our Constitutional Rights, no matter how miniscule. Incrementalism only moves one way. And yes, I would include such things as the Patriot Act, the NDAA, and the failed SOPA and PIPA acts in that list. Some of which had broad bipartisan support.

Unless people wake up and demand accountability, and their rights, our slide into tyranny will continue.

Many people forget that Republicans had no say what so ever for a little over 2 years in Obama's first 4 years but yet they still blame them and Bush.. Must be nice

Oh by the way way it us still Bush's fault right.... Poor Bush is going to be Obama legacy

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Many people have selective memory and somehow are able to turn 72 days of a filibuster-proof majority into two years.

Having said the above, I will point out though, that when it comes to the Second Amendment the Democrats are THE party of Gun Control. On that basis alone, if all else were equal, they deserve to be thrown under the bus, dragged out from underneath, and thrown under again.

To continue to support a party with gun control as part of their platform is unPatriotic, IMHO.
So is supporting any party that would embrace ANY reductions or infringements on our Constitutional Rights, no matter how miniscule. Incrementalism only moves one way. And yes, I would include such things as the Patriot Act, the NDAA, and the failed SOPA and PIPA acts in that list. Some of which had broad bipartisan support.

Unless people wake up and demand accountability, and their rights, our slide into tyranny will continue.

I fully agree. Unfortunately, the leading "conservative" candidate in the last election helped author the health legislation many of us consider to be unconstitutional, and helped pass what many of us consider a draconian ban on many types of rifles when he was a governor. I honestly don't have faith that he wouldn't be pushing the same attacks on our rights that our current president is. Yet at the moment it's mostly members of his party that are blocking these anti2A bills. So I'll take what allies I can get when it comes to protecting our rights. Whether Republican or Democrat, I don't care. Both parties have their flaws and their share of idiots the same as any group of humans.

While we tend to focus on 2A issues here (cause we are on a gun forum), there are a lot of other incredibly important issues out there that have nothing to do wtih 2A rights. If someone supports the democrats based on those issues, but opposes them on stripping us of our 2A rights, I'm not going to go out of my way to alienate them cause I disagree with them on a completely different issue.

Shemia Fagan too. She's submitted a bill to give a tax credit for purchasing a gun safe:

HB 3261 :: Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker - Your Government - The Oregonian

Seconded. Shemia is awesome, she spoke at the League of Conservation Voters big dinner last year while pregnant, and mentioned wanting to take her yet-to-be-born son out hunting when he gets of age, in a forest protected by sound conservation policies. Yeah, other than myself and Bureau of Labor and Industries commissioner Brad Avakian clapping (me giving a whistle,) that comment went over like a lead balloon...

(Brad Avakian is another good pro-gun Democrat, but he's not in a position to have any real influence over legislation as BOLI commissioner.)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top