JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I'm reading the ODOT rules/laws correctly, any motorized 2 wheeled or three wheeled vehicle, that can go faster than 30mph, on level ground, and /or have a combustion engine larger than 50ccs; must be licensed as a moped/scooter/motorcycle, and the rider must also have a Motorcyclist endorsement, correct? Would this place this specific model in that realm?
1960 Schwinn based Whizzer Motorbike with 80cc engine and reports of 40mph performance
56391-1960-schwinn-whizzer-motorbike.jpg

Reason I ask; I have this latest project that's currently functional, but I kinda want to see how it does with a retro Whizzer look to it... 1986 Schwinn Cruiser 5, 5 speed bike with BMX style landing gear fork and stem, and standard cruiser bars. DSCF2368.JPG

Edited; apparently updated manual for motorcycles/mopeds in Oregon

Last Edited:
WA state has similar laws. Last I read the WA state laws on this was it also requires pedals. I haven't read the OR state laws.

How some people got around the WA state laws was they got the 50cc Honda clone engine, got it registered as a moped with 50ccs, then bumped up the engine as far as 150cc, which with the proper parts could be done.

You can then put a limiter on it to be engaged if you wish, or just never get caught going more than 30 MPH.

Personally I see very little benefit in going to this effort to get around the laws. Most of the time you still can't use such bicycles on bicycle trails (at least not the ones in parks) because they prohibit motorized bicycles above a certain level of capabilities (Motorized Vehicle Access to Bicycle Lanes and Paths in Oregon). And most of the time, if you are careful and respect the laws with regards to paths/lanes and speed, you aren't going to be stopped and your bike inspected.

Personally, if I want to ride a motorcycle (whether it is a bicycle or not) I ride a motorcycle. I have thought of getting an electric bicycle or motorcycle though.

50cc seems a bit small for the Schwinn frame, at least compared to the Motorbike with 80cc; but yeah, I can see why it doesn't make much sense for Oregon at least :rolleyes::oops:

Thanks gents for confirming it.
Guess I'll leave it as is for now

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top