Oregon elk damage tags bill

bbbass

Reactions
Probably is the wrong answer to the damage problem. But tags have always been in the arsenal of the ODFW for landowners who suffer tremendous damage. Not sure what the diff is with this from what they already are doing... except I do know that in the case of a Wallowa rancher, they did nothing, claiming that they had no money in the budget to help him by drawing the elk away to be fed elsewhere. He wound up killing a bunch of them... not the result we want!!!

Legislature needs to provide funding for animal control: More elk feeding stations. Adequate predator control. Canada wolves belong in Canada!!!!

OP
FishnhuntOR
Reactions
I have no doubts that these elk cause lots of damage. I remember the ranchers story in Wallowa, he shot 25 elk. supposedly he had 200 head on 450 acres.
Doesn't help, the ranchers won't allow any strangers on their property either. I can't say I blame them as some hunters are slobs and have no respect. But thats the American way, it's not mine, who cares! (how many of you rented a car and beat the Sh*t out of it, or rented a house and done the same?)
Anyways. I'd be happy to pay a small trespass fee $100 or $250?, not $1000 or $2500 as they normally do.
The fact they will get unlimited tags seems crazy. if the guy has 1000 head on his ranch, he can wipe all of them?

Reactions
These bills remind of the bogus "Simplot entitlement awards" bills in Idaho for elk damage to agricultural lands a few years ago. They raised everyones hunting license fees to include agricultural compensation with the new Idaho laws and most of the money just went to farmers instead of habitat improvements, predator control, disease prevention, etc and us sportsmen paid more, for less hunting opportunity. Makes me wonder who is sponsoring these bills. Guess I shall look into it.

bbbass

Reactions
The fact they will get unlimited tags seems crazy.
Yah, I can't support that. ODFW is taking a pass on their responsibility to manage. BTW, has anybody here read the bills?

agricultural compensation with the new Idaho laws and most of the money just went to farmers instead of habitat improvements, predator control, disease prevention, etc and us sportsmen paid more, for less hunting opportunity.
Why would compensation intended to repay farmers for agricultural damage stay with the govt to be spent on habitat improvements, predator control, disease prevention, etc?

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom