JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know of a place to shoot on the central Oregon coast? Got a bunch of guys maybe 10 from our mens retreat going to the coast this weekend.

Thanks for your info.
Pete

I'm in the Lincoln City/Newport area and have been looking for places myself. Out past Siletz (beyond Moonshine Park) is an area I know some people go to shoot (although I never have) and there is also the Big Timber Rifle and Pistol Club: <broken link removed> . Unfortunately, I haven't found many other places, but I hope something works out for you. :)

Thanks whatz, I will let you know if I find something good.
I'm in the Lincoln City/Newport area and have been looking for places myself. Out past Siletz (beyond Moonshine Park) is an area I know some people go to shoot (although I never have) and there is also the Big Timber Rifle and Pistol Club: <broken link removed> . Unfortunately, I haven't found many other places, but I hope something works out for you. :)

Did we ever find any place on the north coast? I'm looking for any where around Cannon Beach, seaside, gearhart, Astoria.

thanks!

Stop in and ask at rural country stores and hunting/fishing shops. The local folks will often readily share their knowledge---except regarding where the deer are.........................elsullo ;)

yeah, thats a good idea also... thanks

Hey PDX. I live in Nehalem. I know a few spots down here if you're interested (you just have to promise to clean up after yourself :)) You might want to stop and ask Lou at the Hamlet market at the Hwy 53 junction (13 miles before Hwy 101). He's an FFL and must know of spots in Clatsop county. If not talk to Jeff Kelland at North Coast Shooters Supply in downtown Warrenton near the police station. He would know of some good spots. Hope that helps.

Hey PDX. I live in Nehalem. I know a few spots down here if you're interested (you just have to promise to clean up after yourself :)) You might want to stop and ask Lou at the Hamlet market at the Hwy 53 junction (13 miles before Hwy 101). He's an FFL and must know of spots in Clatsop county. If not talk to Jeff Kelland at North Coast Shooters Supply in downtown Warrenton near the police station. He would know of some good spots. Hope that helps.

Great info!! Thanks very much! I will contact both and see what they say. I often go to Warrenton to pick up fresh crabs at the Deep Sea Fish market. I've seen North Coast Shooters but its always closed.. Hopefully I can get a hold them!

thanks again.:s0155:

From Newport News Times:

Timberlands: Don't tread on me
Posted: Wednesday, Apr 28th, 2010
BY: Steve Card

Four-wheel-drive vehicles being operated off-road caused this damage on Plum Creek Timber property off of 1000 Line Road south of Toledo. In an effort to minimize damage to watersheds and other environmentally sensitive areas, Plum Creek has imposed a seasonal closure on most of its lands. (Photo by Steve Card)

Public access to areas tightened after vandalism, property damage

Public access to some private timberlands in Lincoln County has been restricted recently, a result of recent activity causing damage to those properties.

Plum Creek Timber has banned all public access to its property for the time being - with a few minor exceptions. The decision to close the property was made due to off-road activity that it tearing up the grounds.

"What Plum Creek is trying to do is educate people about the damage to the resource, specifically water quality ... sensitive areas," said Steve Gravelle, manager of harvesting and roads for Plum Creek. "Typically where we get into these vehicles getting off the road, it's sensitive areas, habitat for fish. We don't want them there for various reasons, and the big one is water quality."

While the damage does result in a monetary loss for Plum Creek, "it's nothing compared to the water quality issue ... it's a big concern for us," said Gravelle.

"From Plum Creek's perspective, we want access, but we can't afford the damage, particularly environmentally." Gravelle added that problems will be reported to the Oregon State Police and the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. "We're going to enforce it. They (OSP and sheriff's office) have authorization to do what they need to do."

Gary Davey, the forest enforcement deputy with the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office, said damage being caused by public misuse of private timberlands "is an ongoing problem." He said one of the biggest issues this time of year is people taking four-wheel-drive vehicles off-road. "They get off the road wherever they can; they tear up stuff."

Senior Trooper Doug Canfield, with OSP's fish and wildlife division, said, "It's an ongoing, never-ending battle, with periods where it really seems to spike up, usually the wet season, spring time. Wherever you find it going on, you'll also find the garbage dumps, the beer bottles and beer cans ... and the wrappers they came in. You find one, you find the other. It's real consistent.

"In my mind, you're talking about people that have absolutely no respect, whatsoever, for anybody else's property," said Canfield. "It's a difficult thing for some people to grasp the fact that Plum Creek property (and other private timberland) is private property ... just as private as your front yard at home. It's not something that they have to let you have access to."

Davey added that the U.S. Forest Service prohibits off road vehicles, as well. "The forest service doesn't allow anybody to go off road, period. If they go off road and turn over the soil, it's a crime."

Gravelle did say that Plum Creek intends to continue its tradition of allowing public access to its lands on a seasonal basis. "We try to open it up to recreational activities, hunting season and that type of stuff."

There are a number of timber companies that own lands in Lincoln County, and each company may have rules and regulations that vary slightly from others.

"Different companies are different," said Davey. "But they will all post their properties, stipulate what people are allowed and not allowed to do."

The deputy did say that recently, representatives from all of the local timber companies came to an agreement to control damage by closing all of their properties to motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) "They're not allowed anywhere on their property, period, even if it's an open road," Gary said.

Another change is that all timber companies are banning the public use of their lands for target shooting. "There's no more shooting," Davey said. "That just came down the pike. There's going to be new signage, (and) it will be posted."

Davey emphasized that with the exception of the new restrictions on motorcycles and ATVs and on target shooting, all other regulations were already in place. "That's really the only changes to what existed before. People just need to stop and look at the signs, because it's there. When is says &#8216;No Trespassing,' that's what it means."

"This isn't all of the sudden," added Davey. "It's been a problem the timber companies have been having to deal with for a long time. People go out there and abandoned their vehicle, and it costs $1,500 to go out there and remove that thing. Why should they be held accountable."

The deputy said if caught, people will be held accountable for any damage they do to private timberlands. "They'll be charged for any damage, (and) they'll be charged with criminal trespass. They're all arrestable offenses."

Anyone who sees damage that has been or is being done to private timberlands can call the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office at 541-265-4231, or the Oregon State Police at 541-265-5353.

For additional information about what uses are permitted or restricted on a given parcel of land, signs posted at an access point will include a contact phone number.

Steve Card is managing editor for the News-Times. He can be reached at 541-265-8571 ext. 224, or [email protected].

There is a shooting area (rock pit) on table mountain. It's located off 1000 line road. You can access 1000 line road from Toledo or Waldport. I would recommend taking a map or someone who knows the area because there are a lot of little side roads up there to get lost on.

There is a shooting area (rock pit) on table mountain. It's located off 1000 line road. You can access 1000 line road from Toledo or Waldport. I would recommend taking a map or someone who knows the area because there are a lot of little side roads up there to get lost on.

A little bit too far south for me but good info to know. Thanks for sharing!

PDX, that info isnt lame, in fact it may save someone who is unknowing a fine. It not only is a shame, but seems to be more prevelant recently that we loose access to areas that we were accustomed to being allowed to hunt and fish. Those that behave in the mannor that gets all of us restricted from these areas should be turned into the state police and property owners. Its up to us to make a point of showing good stewardship, or risk loosing access for us and our childern.

Did we ever find any place on the north coast? I'm looking for any where around Cannon Beach, seaside, gearhart, Astoria.

thanks!

I go out to Knappa/Svenson which is only 14 miles from Astoria down the HWY 30 and they have Skeet Shooting and a very small 100 yard range there. Its covered and outdoor.

Its a dollar to shoot and you bring your own targets of course. They have a table to put your weapons and a rack. Amazingly its hardly ever being used so sometimes on a Saturday you can get a good 3-4 hours of shooting in until someone shows up. :)

Just want to throw a whoo ra! out for Jeff and North Coast Shooters Supply for directing me to a great spot just out of Astoria. Infact we went twice to this location over the holiday weekend and it was empty! We had a great couple days of uninterrupted practice and the weather wasnt so bad! Jeff has a great shop there in Warrenton and I he is a super nice guy, very helpful! Plus he has a great collection of antique arms in there right now so if your into that you should go check it out on their website. Any way, Jeff if your reading thanks again for the hospitality!!

Just want to throw a whoo ra! out for Jeff and North Coast Shooters Supply for directing me to a great spot just out of Astoria. Infact we went twice to this location over the holiday weekend and it was empty! We had a great couple days of uninterrupted practice and the weather wasnt so bad! Jeff has a great shop there in Warrenton and I he is a super nice guy, very helpful! Plus he has a great collection of antique arms in there right now so if your into that you should go check it out on their website. Any way, Jeff if your reading thanks again for the hospitality!!

This is the one right out of Astoria right? I may have met you over the holidays? I had the FN FS2000, KRISS, and Colt AR15s? I met several guys and gals over the holiday. I have been going there for several months now.

Anyway welcome and we may see you around.

THERES a landowner in seal rock who allows people to come shoot for free, i take my kids there and its safe and laid back. He does take donations and i usually give him $5 or so for the day. all you have to do is email or call him and set up and appointment. i will tell you he doesnt allow any alcohol on the property except empty cans for shooting at and he has on site security. Ive been out there when there have been off duty law enf. and scouts shooting,,,always enjoyable and for me just down the street. right off hiwy 101
just email him

[email protected]

There is a very small gravel pit area off of a logging road (easy walk from gate).

This is just S of the intersection of hwy 26 and hwy 101

Right here: 45.929564&#176;N 123.927036&#176;W

I've shot pistol there.

That's good to know. I've seen cars parked there alot. There is another place on the opposite side of 101 just south. Look for the pullout with a large dirt pile. If you scramble over the dirt pile you will see a path where you have about 30-50 yards for target practice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top