JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sold as factory new, I'd be the first owner, but my FFL didn't make it official and still has possession.

Still not understanding. Did it come from a distributor to your FFL? Where I'm going with this...If it was purchased previously, but never fired or handled, it could be resold as factory new. And your agreement would be whatever the disclaimer was with GunBroker. Each seller has his own guarantee or lack of. If the seller on GunBroker said three days inspection guarantee, then you have three days. Period. If your FFL acted only as the receiver, he has no responsibility other than returning the gun at your expense, or at the expense of the seller if it was stipulated as part of the guarantee. The deal remains between you and the seller.

Last Edited:
You probably get what you paid for. I quit using gunbroker since I want to see and feel the gun I want to buy.
I wish I could do that... All that is here is just ARs and more ARs... Don't know what finally pushed me away from ARs, but that didn't help it any. As far as handguns go, Glock or Springfield XD take a choice (in the local shops here).

I may not like my local gun shops very much.

Last Edited:
I agree that new should look new, not 99%. Not sure how shipping expenses will shake out between you and the seller. I hope they can make you whole in the matter.

Gotta wonder, though, if that pretty finish will still look pretty after 10-20 outings and 1000 rounds downrange. Just guessing, I assume it'll show a lot more in the way of grime, nicks, etc., than you'd see on a typical black gun.

I just looked thru GunBroker for this same gun. There are many dealers hawking their wares thru GunBroker. I found one like yours, it said "Factory New", and also said as-is, no refunds. If the ad you purchased from said the same thing, then it's your gun, and Ruger service will be your next step. You already paid for it, so the seller would not care if you didn't take possession from your FFL.

I was at my brothers house a couple of weeks ago. He brought out a handful of small Ruger semi autos in various sizes and calibers. Might have been 6 of them. He wasn't really happy with any of them, all looked and felt like some Matel toy gun. Most shot and Fed well, none were accurate or anything we could consider quality.......as said before, these were all black and the flaws were not evident at first glance but the slide to frame fit and triggers were typical of a mass produced gun, loose enough to see light through the frame and to work after being dropped on the beach without cleaning. He asked what I thought.......not being a fan of any of these type lumps....I thought maby a Sig but didn't really know. He has taken interest in My American Derringer 45 LC pocket guns. Every place I go I see shelves full of this kind of pistol. When I used to sell guns we would get in maby a dozen of a particular type to sell. If any of us wanted one, we would spread them all out on the counter and pick the best one. Cheep guns varied greatly in quality from one to the other, things like Python's, Trooper's, 1911's were so much the same that it was unnecessary, you could rarely find a flaw or issue. I have 10 or so Colts right now, none were inexpensive but all have quality and design that endures and you can trust your life with.

Guns with molded plastic frames achieve two things. Cost reduction, and ease of manufacturing. Folks somehow have drank the koolaid that makes them somehow believe they are an equal or superior gun. Then folks are disappointed when they discover their disposable plastic gun is of less quality and less shootability than a quality, nicely finished all-metal gun.

That doesn't mean there's not a place for cheap plastic guns. They are easy to operate, most of them function with near perfection, and being cheap and already ugly, you don't have to baby them. Truth be told, for concealed reasons, I carry a disposable plastic gun more often than not.

man that sucks! i like what @Certaindeaf said. usually polymer isnt coated and is the color all the way through.

id be torn in this situation being that it is a gift.

on the other hand, to me, guns are tools. if this was my carry piece i would fully accept thats its gonna get dinged up anyway and that cosmetics dont effect the performance. if someone gave me a gun as a gift with a scratch/blemish/ding/whatever i would not bat an eye. just my .02

Guns with molded plastic frames achieve two things. Cost reduction, and ease of manufacturing. Folks somehow have drank the koolaid that makes them somehow believe they are an equal or superior gun. Then folks are disappointed when they discover their disposable plastic gun is of less quality and less shootability than a quality, nicely finished all-metal gun.

That doesn't mean there's not a place for cheap plastic guns. They are easy to operate, most of them function with near perfection, and being cheap and already ugly, you don't have to baby them. Truth be told, for concealed reasons, I carry a disposable plastic gun more often than not.
exactly. while i realy really like my kodak disposable carry guns i really really like my all metal cannon 1911.

:D:D:rolleyes:

idk why but you made me think of disposable cameras. lol

Sorry, I don't see anything more than a very small pin hole that WON'T have any effect on how the gun functions. If you Just Can't stand it then return it but don't expect anything better with the next one. But, if you aren't sitting at the FFL and haven't signed for the gun you should be able to "Refuse" it but what the seller does is up to him/her. At the least, I'd charge you a healthy restocking fee - 50% comes to mind!!!

I don't know, am I overreacting?
I think so, for that type of gun and what its used for... it will get scratched up way more than that tiny spec in no time at all. That injection mold parting line is more offensive in my book....

regardless, when it comes to flaws and defects you have to ask yourself whats it worth for you to pursue? Do you have to pay for shipping back to the seller? Is the seller still involved since its paid for and shipped to an FFL? How long will this take to resolve? Whatever the cheapest or easiest path is all you can do.

Yeah, the point of this thread wasn't to discuss the give and take of polymer vs metal, etc. Although I'm glad it's sparked some read worthy debate.

At the end of the day, if I had bought it in person, I would have asked for another one with no blemish, since it's a gift. My carry piece was always expected to get dinged, as is this one. But since it's a gift, I'll see what I can do.

I'll call Ruger Monday. If they'll replace it, I'll accept and go that route.

Gunbroker suggested I dispute via my Credit card (another reason I use Amex for most online purchases, great member services.) and I'm pretty confident they'll fully refund me, if the the seller refuses to work with me.

I'm mainly frustrated that this would be considered an acceptable practice from the seller. They obviously opened the box and knew of the blemish, but didn't disclose it. They have a retail store, and I'd guess this is a smart way to pawn off lightly damaged, but still "new" firearms.

Thanks for he feedback everyone. :)

Yeah, the point of this thread wasn't to discuss the give and take of polymer vs metal, etc. Although I'm glad it's sparked some read worthy debate.
:)

I feared we were departing the intent of the discussion, but we really were not. My point was, I judge a plastic pistol far less harshly than a metal gun. It still doesn't make it acceptable, and if you are not pleased, I believe Ruger will make it right.:cool:

I do not know if the seller was trying to unload a defective product or not. My guess is he was not. Volume sellers on the internet, they don't inspect what they are selling. They could have inventories of many hundreds of guns. They check to make sure the serial number matches, and that's as far as they go.

One of my recent internet purchases...A single action Ruger. I asked the seller to specifically make sure the gun he sent passes inspection before he sent it. He said he would do so. When I received the gun, it truly had a grossly deformed loading gate, would not operate, and was immediately returned to Ruger. The seller obviously did not check the gun as he promised, and worse, how does this stuff get out of the factories?

Not to make light of this, in the old days if we had a little ding on our car, we'd cover it with an STP sticker.:cool:

Good luck and keep us posted.

I feared we were departing the intent of the discussion, but we really were not. My point was, I judge a plastic pistol far less harshly than a metal gun. It still doesn't make it acceptable, and if you are not pleased, I believe Ruger will make it right.:cool:

I do not know if the seller was trying to unload a defective product or not. My guess is he was not. Volume sellers on the internet, they don't inspect what they are selling. They could have inventories of many hundreds of guns. They check to make sure the serial number matches, and that's as far as they go.

One of my recent internet purchases...A single action Ruger. I asked the seller to specifically make sure the gun he sent passes inspection before he sent it. He said he would do so. When I received the gun, it truly had a grossly deformed loading gate, would not operate, and was immediately returned to Ruger. The seller obviously did not check the gun as he promised, and worse, how does this stuff get out of the factories?

Not to make light of this, in the old days if we had a little ding on our car, we'd cover it with an STP sticker.:cool:

Good luck and keep us posted.
I remember back in the old days when I was a young punk, lol, and I lived in CA at the time (SF gun exchange and Traders mainly) I/we'd make the clerks go fetch untold guns from the back to get a serial # that struck out fancy or was really just the best in the bunch somehow. buncha cocky bastids but anyway
Now, a few gun stores around here, every single "new" gun in the display case has been passed around on weekend shooting outings they're so filthy and crudded up. and they expect you to buy one of those in the case

Keep in mind, I got a bunch of buddies counting on my Mrs. showing it off to their wives so that they want one and to start shooting too!

It's a lot of pressure on me! Haha.

man that sucks! i like what @Certaindeaf
on the other hand, to me, guns are tools. if this was my carry piece i would fully accept thats its gonna get dinged up anyway and that cosmetics dont effect the performance. if someone gave me a gun as a gift with a scratch/blemish/ding/whatever i would not bat an eye. just my .02

I agree, to an extent. Scuffs happen. And while I hate causing dumb@ss scratches that I could've prevented, there's a bit of inner satisfaction I get from seeing reasonable wear and tear on my toys (guns, vehicles, guitars, etc.), knowing that I'm getting good/frequent use out of them as opposed to meticulously preserving them in pristine condition.

But when I pay for something newly minted from the factory, I'd like the first "ding" to be mine, not something that QA randomly decided is "okay" to pass along. So there's that, too.

In the past, Ruger graciously paid shipping to replace/repair a couple of malfunctioning weapons that I bought brand new from local dealers (so much for Ruger's QC). But these silly new transfer laws, mandatory FFL handling and the remoteness of Gunbroker sellers may add a few extra layers to the equation that I never had to encounter.

Last Edited:
OP are you referring to the little black speck on the curved part of the outer portion of the trigger guard?

If this is the problem in question I'd say it is fine.

If your really worried about it return it.

Honestly it isn't big enough that I even really noticed anything, you made it sound obvious, hence my question above.

I'm pretty sure those LCPs are molded in the color plastic vs coating, so a little exact knife may fix it, or a little wet sand papering.

May we ask what you spent on this thing? Engagement ring pricing?

May we ask what you spent on this thing? Engagement ring pricing?

Far from, $220. Part of a Bday present that includes a few hundred rounds of plinking, 50 rounds of defense, holster, special purse her sister helped me find with built in concealed carry pocket, concealed carry class, and an appointment with the Sherrif's office =)

It's perfect for her, super small and in a color she'll love. Someday I'm sure she'll want to upgrade. But my first goal is to get her excited to carry and go shoot "her gun", and this will accomplish that.

And yeah, the blemish is super small. Albeit deeper than the pic can show, and I wouldn't bat an eye if it wasn't a gift.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads