JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might be worth a call to northwest armory in tigard to see if they have one on the shelf in that color.

Could inspect it (obviously), buy it if the price is comparable & have the other one returned.

Far from, $220. Part of a Bday present that includes a few hundred rounds of plinking, 50 rounds of defense, holster, special purse her sister helped me find with built in concealed carry pocket, concealed carry class, and an appointment with the Sherrif's office =)

It's perfect for her, super small and in a color she'll love. Someday I'm sure she'll want to upgrade. But my first goal is to get her excited to carry and go shoot "her gun", and this will accomplish that.

And yeah, the blemish is super small. Albeit deeper than the pic can show, and I wouldn't bat an eye if it wasn't a gift.
Awesome gift dude and hopefully she takes to shooting. I learned the hard way with my wife, which was not to buy her a gun, but take her to buy her own. She picked a Glock 19 over many of the smaller guns, which I though she would like. She is looking to get her concealed license soon as well and is already picked out a Glock 42 for herself once she gets her license.

A great way for women to carry is Dene Adams - Shop All Women's Concealed Carry Corsets

Far from, $220. Part of a Bday present that includes a few hundred rounds of plinking, 50 rounds of defense, holster, special purse her sister helped me find with built in concealed carry pocket, concealed carry class, and an appointment with the Sherrif's office =)

It's perfect for her, super small and in a color she'll love. Someday I'm sure she'll want to upgrade. But my first goal is to get her excited to carry and go shoot "her gun", and this will accomplish that.

And yeah, the blemish is super small. Albeit deeper than the pic can show, and I wouldn't bat an eye if it wasn't a gift.
We all want perfect but in the final analysis, prolly gonna bite yer gadang hand off anyways

upload_2018-1-20_18-42-26.jpeg

I just looked thru GunBroker for this same gun. There are many dealers hawking their wares thru GunBroker. I found one like yours, it said "Factory New", and also said as-is, no refunds. If the ad you purchased from said the same thing, then it's your gun, and Ruger service will be your next step. You already paid for it, so the seller would not care if you didn't take possession from your FFL.

That is where some of the marginal GB sellers can get you. Some of the terms they use can be deliberately ambiguous. Acceptable in your opinion can be different from what the seller chooses to represent...especially if he used that as-is statement {which I notice being used more often on GB}.

If you are in the market for a current in-production, easy to find piece and want perfect by your definition, buy it local. The few bucks you save on one of these auctions won't be worth the drama when it doesn't meet your expectations.

By the way, despite the way this thread title is written, you don't buy anything from GB...only the sellers who pay a fee to list there. Don't expect GB to back you {the buyer} up when something goes wrong...been there, they don't.

Last Edited:
If you are in the market for a current in-production, easy to find piece and want perfect by your definition, buy it local. The few bucks you save on one of these auctions won't be worth the drama when it doesn't meet your expectations.
agree, this sums up the takeaway from this. Its no different than buying anything online thru Amazon or Ebay. Its a pain to return something you bought online, its even more complicated when that something has FFL fees involved.

There are some things I care about and some I don't. If that were my pistol, I wouldn't care. It would probably get that and more simply by shoving it in a holster a few times. However, if I'm giving a gift I like it to be RIGHT. Moreover, "New" means "New."

And I wouldn't bash the seller on it because maybe he didn't notice it or it happened in transit somehow but he should certainly be willing to make it right or refund a reasonable discount...assuming that's acceptable to you.

My guess is you nor her would have even noticed it, and even if you had... it wouldn't have registered as an issue if you hadn't been looking for a flaw because of that review. It's a $200 carry gun... not a safe queen and I doubt that would have been culled and sent to the blem pile. a few trips to the range + bouncing around in the secret pocket of the new "gun totin' mammas" purse that she will no doubt have to have(my wife did)... will cause many a scratch and scuff. That color shows worse than most.
That said, I suffer from OCD and had I noticed that...it would have driven me nuts too.

How much do you value your time?
I wouldn't spend any of my time or mind on it.
I'd be so far upside down in the gun if I started this thread, had to contact the seller, ship the gun, return to the FFL over some imperfection in machine made plastic.

Material posessions don't equal happiness or love. The blem won't make your wife think less of you. Well, unless she is superficial and values "perfect material"

My Rugers have all had very good fit and finish. I own a few. In this day and age, this is unacceptable from Ruger, because they can and do, do better. Now you can be a gear snob about it and say spend 3k on some unobtanium pistol, but that is just snobbery. Ruger produces many, many pistols without blemishes, unless I have been so lucky as to have every one I bought be great. My luck is not that good. Computer aided manufacture has definitely cut down on human error to the point I would call this flat out unacceptable.

Everybody has QC issues at some level. There are some absolute dogs of Colts, and S&W. While some are truly masterpieces, there are always a few dogs too in the distribution, and I guarantee you there are some defects from every manufacturer.
Apparently the Six Sigma dogma of building the process to reach a zero defect never made it from the board room to the coatings and finish department.

My approach would be to drill a blind hole centered but large enough that its overlapping the inclusion then using epoxy inlay a sapphire in place to bling it out for her and now....its a one of a kind that YOU custom made special just for her
1/2 hrs work and your golden and look at you....you went out of your way to please the love of your life;)

Last Edited:
Update:

My FFL ($25 in Hillsboro btw, if anyone needs one, he's a great guy) recommended I call Ruger before getting too stressed out. Glad I did, they agreed to repair/replace the issues and I agreed to accept the item from the seller.

Ruger already sent me a shipping label, so I'll give it to the Mrs. on her birthday, and if she cares, we'll send it back. Maybe she won't and that will be that.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads