JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have mostly Leupold scopes and a couple Mepro M21 red dots, and I would try to stay with one brand and preferably one model, but different firearms have different needs. I would love to find a good quality 1-4x or 1-6X LPVO that has the EER of a handgun scope.
We used to call those Scout Scopes. I have a Weaver 1-4x that's got good eye relief and is very clear for what I paid for it. It just has crosshairs and hash marks though, no fancy 5.56 holdover marks or anything. I used to mount it on a Saiga12 and shoot slugs. I had it on one of those funky Russian quick release side mount picatinny rails. It may still be on it. It held up well and I even dropped it a few times. I haven't used it in a while so It's going on a .22 one of these days, especially if I move to someplace with rabbits around.

So with more firearms come more scopes, red dots, reflex sights and buis. I seem to have a hodgepodge of of sight systems from NightForce to BSA. Seem I have something for dang near every maker out there. I feel like most people are in the same boat and just put whatever option is in the price range and fits the bill for intended use. Qusetion is if the whole beware of a man with one rifle saying applies to sights/optics also? Thinking of really consolidating brands and styles. What say you
Hello,

Beware of a man with one rifle who actually shoots it and knows what he or she is doing! Yes, I do believe in that!

I believe that IT does apply when it comes to optics depending on the INDIVIDUAL shooter, WHERE he is shooting and what TYPE of shooting he or she doing.

Plus I am extremely biased in MY opinions here.

I am a big believer in consolidation in many things in life not just when it comes to GUN STUFF, ALL guns, factory RF or CF ammunition, reloading supplies if a person reloads - I do NOT reload but my MT husband does and has since the early 70's, etc.

I believe in the KISS METHOD - keep it simple stupid and I apply that KISS motto to almost all things in MY life.

~~~
I use iron sights. I always used iron sights.

I don't use scopes, red dots or any other THING or do dad on my 2 RF rifles now nor did I use them in the past when I owned/shot more RF and CF rifles and other CF and RF handguns.

I never put jack squat on any of my former s/a revolvers, d/a revolvers or semi automatic pistols as an EXTRA thing or do dad. Iron sites were used there too.

~~~

With that said, my MT husband who has hunted since he was a kid in ALL kinds of terrain and at various distances does USE a few scopes on specific rifles.

He has a couple of favorite scope brands AND some are expensive and some are middle of the road price wise.

He does shoot several RF and CF rifles using iron sights and NO scope gets put on those rifles. Formerly owned ones and some that he owns now.

He does not use red dots or jack squat on any of his handguns. He uses iron sights there too.

~~~

I personally believe that a shooter should be able to shoot a firearm proficiently without using a bunch of EXTRA stuff in MOST shooting situations.

I am NOT talking about long distance shooting/competition, shooting at longer distances while hunting or if you are in the military shooting at an enemy far away.

With that said, I mean NO DISRESPECT for all of those shooters out there who feel as if they NEED or if they WANT to buy all of that extra stuff for their firearms.

SKILLS become better in any type of THING in life including shooting IF you practice and keep up your skills on a regular basis.

And I say this using bifocals @ 71 years old and I have been wearing Rx eyeglasses since I was 5 years old. Near sighted, etc.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

With few exceptions our scoped rifles are hunting guns that wear Leupold scopes. The "fanciest" scopes we have are VX-R models, but I've owned and used many from the Rifleman line up to our current VX-Rs. I've had good luck with Leupold and they are local.

We used to call those Scout Scopes. I have a Weaver 1-4x that's got good eye relief and is very clear for what I paid for it. It just has crosshairs and hash marks though, no fancy 5.56 holdover marks or anything. I used to mount it on a Saiga12 and shoot slugs. I had it on one of those funky Russian quick release side mount picatinny rails. It may still be on it. It held up well and I even dropped it a few times. I haven't used it in a while so It's going on a .22 one of these days, especially if I move to someplace with rabbits around.
Weaver is the one major manufacturer that actually had a 1-4X handgun scope, usually a bright finish (I prefer matte, but I could cover it with something). I don't think they make them anymore. Should have got a couple when I could.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top