JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So with more firearms come more scopes, red dots, reflex sights and buis. I seem to have a hodgepodge of of sight systems from NightForce to BSA. Seem I have something for dang near every maker out there. I feel like most people are in the same boat and just put whatever option is in the price range and fits the bill for intended use. Qusetion is if the whole beware of a man with one rifle saying applies to sights/optics also? Thinking of really consolidating brands and styles. What say you?

So with more firearms come more scopes, red dots, reflex sights and buis. I seem to have a hodgepodge of of sight systems from NightForce to BSA. Seem I have something for dang near every maker out there. I feel like most people are in the same boat and just put whatever option is in the price range and fits the bill for intended use. Qusetion is if the whole beware of a man with one rifle saying applies to sights/optics also? Thinking of really consolidating brands and styles. What say you?

Good idea. At the bare minimum, keep it all MIL or MOA.

Question is if the whole beware of a man with one rifle saying applies to sights/optics also?
I don't think it really matters. As long as a person can be effective with the optic, the brand makes no difference (as long as it's not complete trash, of course).

That said, I've found myself gravitating towards just a few specific brands over the years, rather than just buying whatever is in my price range.

I find myself using optics from the firearm's country of origin. For example, a Meopta is going on my Bren, I have Meprolights on my IWI firearms, and Steiner on ones from Deutschland. This is especially true if they have a good warranty and history of actual use in the field.

I prefer apples-to-apples on optics and red dots and BUIS for familiarity sake, I guess. I practice regularly with them and they work for my old eyes.

So, when the bump goes in the night, the things available to me to "bump back" mostly look and feel the same. Kind of like the beware the guy with one gun idea.

Consider some consolidations, resources permitting ;)

Magnified/precision optics - FFP Leupold
Red Dots - Aimpoint

For me it's that simple.

I have a bunch of makes and models, like the OP. I will stay that way. My wife had some input on red dots, and now we buy Holosun or Sightmark. They have a circle around the dot, she likes that. I like Aimpoint.

I do like Léopold and Trijicon riflescopes

I have a bunch of makes and models, like the OP. I will stay that way. My wife had some input on red dots, and now we buy Holosun or Sightmark. They have a circle around the dot, she likes that. I like Aimpoint.

I do like Léopold and Trijicon riflescopes
First time I've seen Leupold spelled with a flourish

Define what all courses you expect to race on, then select your horses based on best fits for those courses.

I like to go by the simple rule of "to every thing a purpose, if I can't state a purpose it's Downsize Bait." Also remember to keep a spare, and a spare to the spare...

Last Edited:
I'm not sure having one given brand makes anyone more or less effective. I DO think if they've standardized on one specific reticle, they could be. As a creature of habit, when I find a brand that doesn't let me down, I have a hard time buying any other brand because I want to know and trust the products I buy. That said: All of my magnified optics, save 1, are Leupold. From a "Rifleman" model, through vx-2 and 3 up to Mark 5HD. From .22s to .50 BMG, 25 to 1000 yards, on the hunt or at the range I trust Leupold products because as of yet they HAVE NOT let me down when it mattered to me. Are there better, more durable, flashier optics one can buy? Yes. What price can you put on trust through experience?

If its new and shiny I'm all over it.
Seriously, red dot technology is improving/growing in leaps and bounds these days. Why limit yourself to one brand or model? Especially when a better one will be out next month or even next week.

Just a thought but if that one brand goes tits up you're going to be unhappy.

I have all different brands because I have all different uses. Iron sights, red dots, holographic, fixed power, variable power, ACOG, scout scope and laser. Some are in mil some are in MOA. I practice and I know how to hit stuff far away with care and up close with alacrity, but I spend most of my range time having fun.

I have mostly Leupold scopes and a couple Mepro M21 red dots, and I would try to stay with one brand and preferably one model, but different firearms have different needs. I would love to find a good quality 1-4x or 1-6X LPVO that has the EER of a handgun scope.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top