JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yep, another "which caliber is best" thread!! If interested, read on, if not, read on!

Nearing the top of my 'want' list is the Ruger Precision rifle. If I don't get it this year, I will get one next year. I find I'm back and forth over the caliber choice though. I'm always interested in getting feedback and opinions from folks here that have more experience with such things.

Since some may ask: why the rifle? Mainly for fun and to have something to work on for longer distance shooting. The goal being that some day down the road, I'll learn more about long distance and maybe even consider competing in some matches. I hope to have some property I can shoot long distance on of my own some day, so this is also meant to look ahead to that time. I'm interested in shooting out to 1,000 yards, probably no further.

As far as this particular rifle, I know there are a lot of options out there, some expensive, some more expensive. I'd like to start with something that's known to be good out-of-the box, with the ability to build on that later, if needed. Other considerations are the precision adjustable stock, the compatibility with AR style magazines and the styling, which I do like. For the price, it seems to be well regarded as a great value.

Currently there are 3 calibers offered that may interest me: .308, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

My first thought is to go with .308 for a few reasons. First, I already have 2 other guns in .308, so keeping calibers consolidated would be a nice bonus which leads to the second consideration, hand loading. My first hand-load rifle caliber will be .308 when I'm ready to move on from pistol loading. That said, I'll be set up for that cartridge, so no extra equipment for other calibers. Know that I'm not opposed to adding another caliber, and it may even give me a reason to add an AR in that new caliber too :rolleyes:

But the other 2 calibers are interesting and I see and hear some folks saying they would be good, even better choices. I've read a bit about them, but don't know much about them myself. I'll continue to do my own research, but I find that individual input/opinions is a valuable part of that research.

Given those 3 options, what would you choose, and why?

I have been giving the same thoughts to a rifle for a lot of the same reasons. I have a 30-06 and an AR-10 so I would go with the .308 just so I don't have another round to start collecting. After I get into reloading and get the .308 dialed in then I would possibly take on another caliber in the future.

I was in the same predicament myself a month ago. It was between the 6.8 and .308. What it came down to me was practicality and availability so I went with the .308 and am happy as a clam.

Yep, another "which caliber is best" thread!! If interested, read on, if not, read on!

Nearing the top of my 'want' list is the Ruger Precision rifle. If I don't get it this year, I will get one next year. I find I'm back and forth over the caliber choice though. I'm always interested in getting feedback and opinions from folks here that have more experience with such things.

Since some may ask: why the rifle? Mainly for fun and to have something to work on for longer distance shooting. The goal being that some day down the road, I'll learn more about long distance and maybe even consider competing in some matches. I hope to have some property I can shoot long distance on of my own some day, so this is also meant to look ahead to that time. I'm interested in shooting out to 1,000 yards, probably no further.

As far as this particular rifle, I know there are a lot of options out there, some expensive, some more expensive. I'd like to start with something that's known to be good out-of-the box, with the ability to build on that later, if needed. Other considerations are the precision adjustable stock, the compatibility with AR style magazines and the styling, which I do like. For the price, it seems to be well regarded as a great value.

Currently there are 3 calibers offered that may interest me: .308, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

My first thought is to go with .308 for a few reasons. First, I already have 2 other guns in .308, so keeping calibers consolidated would be a nice bonus which leads to the second consideration, hand loading. My first hand-load rifle caliber will be .308 when I'm ready to move on from pistol loading. That said, I'll be set up for that cartridge, so no extra equipment for other calibers. Know that I'm not opposed to adding another caliber, and it may even give me a reason to add an AR in that new caliber too :rolleyes:

But the other 2 calibers are interesting and I see and hear some folks saying they would be good, even better choices. I've read a bit about them, but don't know much about them myself. I'll continue to do my own research, but I find that individual input/opinions is a valuable part of that research.

Given those 3 options, what would you choose, and why?

Good thinking!

I chose RPR .308.

We have AR10's & CETME's so the magazine crossover is convenient on the AR's. The caliber crossover helps me KISS.

I don't reload yet, but hope to. I figure when I do reload, it'd take me a long while to get comfortable with it. Once comfortable, and if I find I want to reach out to other calibers, I will.

In the meantime .308 is inexpensive enough, and I collect my brass...

.308 for the win. I shoot a lot and don't reload yet, so it is simple for me. I have a gunsite scout and a Mossberg Patrol in .308, so I woudnt have to stock another caliber, and I am not a precision paper puncher, so the Nato round is less expensive and way more accurate than I need.

Well here I go commenting on a modern rifle... EEEK! :eek::D
My vote is .308.
I have shot this cartridge at long range know it works.
Its been around for a while , lots of data and brass , bullets etc ... are out there.

With the newer rounds , as great as they may be ... I'd be a little worried that over time these newer rounds will lost in the shuffle to the next "in" or "Its whats all the cool kids are shooting" round.
Andy

Well here I go commenting on a modern rifle... EEEK! :eek::D
My vote is .308.
I have shot this cartridge at long range know it works.
Its been around for a while , lots of data and brass , bullets etc ... are out there.

With the newer rounds , as great as they may be ... I'd be a little worried that over time these newer rounds will lost in the shuffle to the next "in" or "Its whats all the cool kids are shooting" round.
Andy

I promise I won't tell anyone you commented on a cartridge gun ;)

You do raise a good point though about the Creedmoor cartridges being newer, and that does make me wonder about their longevity. Though they do seem to be getting some good attention for now. I'm not typically a new adopter of anything - I like to let others work out all the kinks before I start sinking $$ into something.

Also a good point about the more extensive list of loading data available, that's helpful too.

I appreciate all the comments so far! Looks like .308 is by far the preferred choice for this rifle. I'll keep an eye open though and see if anyone can convince me otherwise.

I am eventually going to buy one and will buy the .308.

The 6.5 might be the superior cartridge but the .308 is the more practical.

In my case I will be hard pressed to ever shoot over 600-700 yards. At those ranges the .308 will do just fine. I already own half a dozen rifles in .308 and really in my case what I want is a suppressed bolt gun that will shoot what I already shoot a bit better than what I already got.

And I think the 6.5 CM is a fine thing, but it's not magic like everyone seems to preach. If you are trying to punch paper at that magical 1200 yards I am sure there are benefits and it's a better choice. If it was me and I was planning on shooting at those ranges I would skip the RPR all together and buy a .416 Barrett:D

I promise I won't tell anyone you commented on a cartridge gun ;)
Don't tell anyone ... But I have shot the Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 as well. :eek:
My muzzle loaders wouldn't talk to me for weeks afterwards ....:eek::D

The rifle shot well at least for me.
We were using Federal 168 gain MBTHP style bullets and shot out to 200 yards.
It was a waaaay different felling rifle that what I am used to shooting.
It reminded a bit of the M16 series with the grip and all ... so the idea of working a bolt seemed awkward to me.

As we all can guess , I ain't rushing out to buy one... But the rifle did indeed shoot well.
Andy

Get a $2oo Savage/Stevens .308 with an old 4x Weaver on top.

I could certainly do that, or even a little more and get a Mossberg MVP, or something to that effect.

Fact is, I just love the RPR, don't know entirely what it is, but it's had my fancy since it came out, and I think it's an itch that needs to be scratched ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top