JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just learned of this today
law enforcement has the right to search your private lands in open fields and wooded areas and is not in violation of the 4th Amendment
as per a Supreme Cort ruling in 1924
this means law enforcement can enter your property for search or to install surveillance equipment without a warrant if they determine "probable cause"

where this concerns me the most is for those who have shooting ranges on private property
law enforcement has the right to bypass NO TRESPASSING signs and drive onto private property to see what your shooting
the only probable cause they need is to hear the gunshots

expectation of privacy only applies to private residence, not your fields and forest

expectation of privacy only applies to private residence, not your fields and forest

So then.....say that I erect a certain type of barrier, on my private property, so as not to have the "neighbors" leering at me while I sunbathe in the nude? Humm.....haven't I created my "expectation of privacy" (that isn't EXACTLY a residence/home)?

Whatever......I didn't mean to quibble. YEAH.......it could be argued (in Court). Along with surveillance issues like that conducted by a drone flying under say X feet, or the use of hi-powered magnifying lens, or climbing a near by tree (or using a ladder) to look, etc.... etc.....

Aloha, Mark

PS....it's also got me thinking. About how State Constitutions and State Laws can EXPAND rights but not restrict the right(s) granted by the Federal Constitution.

So.....why is it Constitutional.....to pass State laws that restrict/go against the Federal 2nd A?

Last Edited:
where this concerns me the most is for those who have shooting ranges on private property
law enforcement has the right to bypass NO TRESPASSING signs and drive onto private property to see what your shooting
the only probable cause they need is to hear the gunshots

Probably just use a drone.

So then.....say that I erect a certain type of barrier, on my private property, so as not to have the "neighbors" leering at me while I sunbathe in the nude? Humm.....haven't I created my "expectation of privacy" (that isn't EXACTLY a residence/home)?

Whatever......I didn't mean to quibble. YEAH.......it could be argued (in Court).

Aloha, Mark
no - my neighbor did than in 1998
he wanted to work nude in his yard while we had kids outside - so he put up a 6' tall, 30' long fence (property extends 1200')
he had been working nude in his yard for 10 years before we moved onto the adjacent property
my wife called the Sheriffs - they told him to put cloths on

no - my neighbor did than in 1998
he wanted to work nude in his yard while we had kids outside - so he put up a 6' tall, 30' long fence (property extends 1200')
he had been working nude in his yard for 10 years before we moved onto the adjacent property
my wife called the Sheriffs - they told him to put cloths on
My sun bathing enclosure.......would have a gate and walls on all 4 sides. LOL. Hummm.....and maybe even a swimming pool too. Rrrrright......for the times when I'd want to "skinny dip".

Aloha, Mark

I just learned of this today
law enforcement has the right to search your private lands in open fields and wooded areas and is not in violation of the 4th Amendment
as per a Supreme Cort ruling in 1924
this means law enforcement can enter your property for search or to install surveillance equipment without a warrant if they determine "probable cause"
Game camera's. If you see "someone" put up electronics? Go back and take them down and trash them. Let them see how many they want to buy.

Theres also the principle of "curtilage" I think.. where there's the expectation of privacy extending a specific distance away from the housing/domicile.. but beyond those boundaries, "open fields/woods" doctrine only for LEO it seems.. if property is otherwise posted and all that (no trespassing signs and fencing). However... farmlands with no fencing, but access points to the property? I don't know. I know people have driven onto these access points for encounters and so forth... depends on the States ?

One thing I'm not a fan of.... having the front of your house less than 50 feet away from the highway on a large piece of property, especially if said property is mostly grassland/grazing land and a yuuge backyard. I suppose these houses may have been built before paved roads.. or before the owners acquired more land... but.. it just bugs me that someone could park on side of highway and not violate privacy

actually, a land owner in Tenn was arrested and charged with stealing gov property for tanking down Fish and Game cameras
Put me on the Jury. I'd like to SEND A MESSAGE to the TN Govt.

But, I've also heard, that some states do not allow for a JURY TRIAL for "certain crimes". Whatever.......perhaps, we've gone too far down that hill already.

Aloha, Mark

One thing I'm not a fan of.... having the front of your house less than 50 feet away from the highway on a large piece of property, especially if said property is mostly grassland/grazing land and a yuuge backyard. I suppose these houses may have been built before paved roads.. or before the owners acquired more land... but.. it just bugs me that someone could park on side of highway and not violate privacy
you see that along the I 5 corridor going North in Clark Co
we planted Filbert hedges all along the dead end county road - they are 15' tall now and you can't see through them even in Winter

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top