JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this topic. A little background first, I posted on another forum that I was looking for a certain pistol and a person responded to me with pics and everything. I asked them if they were a gun shop/store and their response was "I am a Smith, I am legal to ship to any FFL.". Well, my spidey senses are telling me that's BS. I have thought only an FFL can send to another FFL, am I correct? If not, please point me in the direction of where it says otherwise. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy shooting!

Hello everyone,

Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this topic. A little background first, I posted on another forum that I was looking for a certain pistol and a person responded to me with pics and everything. I asked them if they were a gun shop/store and their response was "I am a Smith, I am legal to ship to any FFL.". Well, my spidey senses are telling me that's BS. I have thought only an FFL can send to another FFL, am I correct? If not, please point me in the direction of where it says otherwise. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy shooting!

Anyone can ship to an FFL. You can ship an unloaded long-gun to any FFL via USPS, or (over night shipping) by commercial carrier. You can only ship a handgun via commercial carrier (over night shipping) and NOT the USPS.

The main point of the FFL (especially interstate) is the UBC and 4473 at the end of the run in the state where the gun will supposedly reside.

Some ffl, if not most will accept private party shipments. Ive sent private party shipments directly to ffl many times and had the same done with incoming packages. The ffl will have certain requirements based on the state the weapon it going to. Some states require bill of Dale, others like California have their own set of rules. Long guns can ship ground with no time line required for arrival. I believe pistols have to be sent faster, ie maybe 2 day, so shipping cost will go up. My preferred shipper is UPS, but lots of people use fedex or even usps. Always insure for full value regardless. Too many weapons go missing due to theft or loss in transit. Or even damage.

I've shipped a number of firearms, both long guns and handguns, to FFLs for my daughter in a diff state.

I've also rx'd firearms that I bought on gunbroker.com from a private party sent to my FFL of choice right here.

Happens all the time. Nothing unusual or creepy about it.

Spidey web set too tight/sensitive, back it off just a bit. ;)

There is an advantage in having an FFL send a handgun to another FFL, it's just easier than dealing with shipping it yourself. But be prepared to spend some extra coin for their trouble/effort. But it's not a requirement that an FFL do the shipping.

Just wanted to add, a non-FFL has to send a copy of their Driver's License (or some other official photo ID) with a current address. This info gets logged into the FFL's Acquisition ledger.

Another note: some FFL's will not accept a privite party shipped firearms with a copy of the drivers licence. There is not way to prove that is the person shipping said firearm. Must be FFL to FFL. Good to ask prior to shipping. The little gun store in my area will not just for that reason.

Another note: some FFL's will not accept a privite party shipped firearms with a copy of the drivers licence. There is not way to prove that is the person shipping said firearm. Must be FFL to FFL. Good to ask prior to shipping. The little gun store in my area will not just for that reason.

OK. But that is an individual FFL choice and NOT a legal requirement. Many FFLs are soooooo, paranoid.

An example of such paranoia is that in ID a person prob will not be able to find a private seller willing to sell to somebody that doesn't have a carry license. Since all or part of Idaho is Constitutional Carry, not everybody has that. But sellers are worried about selling a firearm to a crim, so that's their policy.

Gray area I guess... Can you legally identify a person by a copy of a photo ID that was sent through the mail and not standing in front of you? Maybe by someones interpretation of the law.

I never understood the requirement in the first place. I know in OR it is a requirement due to our UBC law... other places, IDK.

Are FFL's required to verify the identity of the seller standing in front of them? Certainly a BGC takes care of the buyer, supposedly but papers can be forged. But even if the seller shows ID, an FFL still doesn't know for sure. I still think it is overly paranoid.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads