JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Virtual Private Network. In a nutshell its a way to encrypt your network traffic. Depending on how you do it, there may be a downside (slower speeds, cost -though some are free). If this law passes there will also probably be a rush on providers so there may be some other issues initially. Do your research.

"Online privacy" is a myth.
Sure, you can make it harder. But it's next to impossible to remain completely incognito.
Private, cash, in-person is always best.

Only valley girls believe there is, or ever will be, privacy online. Protesting is fruitless.

Maybe, but at what point does your data start to affect your privacy is the issue? You will no longer have control of what kind of banner ads show up on any computer or device you log into even once.

Online privacy
Internet privacy
Equals oxymoron
Virtual Private Network. In a nutshell its a way to encrypt your network traffic. Depending on how you do it, there may be a downside (slower speeds, cost -though some are free). If this law passes there will also probably be a rush on providers so there may be some other issues initially. Do your research.
Cost? So someone else is running it?
And you believe it's not monitored by someone?o_O
I'll call BS,even to those cloud deals folks on here are using
There is always someone smarter.

The thing is with them killing these protections really nothing has changed. They where allowed to keep and sell this data before and they still can. Now as far as I know no ISP has been caught doing this (obviously it would really hurt them in the pr department). The best thing you can do is donate money to the EFF (electronic frontier foundation, the NRA for interwebnetron related matters eff.org) and use TOR or a VPN (iirc I got a year of cyber ghost in a humble bundle for like 15$ so I'm sure just buying it alone wouldn't be too bad).

While it is true that if a .gov type entity wants to hack you they will find a way in, you can still decrease the odd's of you being caught up in a sweep for "low hanging fruit" by maintaining good digital OPSEC .

I thought about posting this in the off topic but my concerns are how this affects gun owners...

Think your 80% gun is truely a ghost? How much time do you google gun stuff? Would you rather not let the world know your building a new AR pistol? Searching for a new CCW holster?

What kind of banner ads will start poping at at your work...

Congress just killed your Internet privacy protections

My BIL works for the banking industry and has provided me some sage insight regarding "online profiles".

The big banks have an algorithm that compiles information and extrapolates a "profile" of online users. This information is used and has been used to target specific items at, and for online users including mobile devices. His analogy made it sound more like a marketing directors effort to sell product. I did take notice of the adds and pop ups after this discussion. I often do market research for my work and use Windoze, IE and Google at work. NOTE: I do not ever log in to Google except to "pop" email. I use Ubuntu, Firefox, and Duck Duck Go at home. I NEVER see popups at home unless I use a similar system to my @work configuration.

My spouse refuses to let go of WindoZe but chooses to use Firefox with Google Search functions. While using that system I see the same adds and pop ups I regularly see @work.

Now that should get you scratchin' your head. I asked my BIL about this and he says, YEP, YOU have a profile that is associated with your type of browsing. You likely frequent the same type of content and shop at the same places. Banks have known this for quite some time and use it to market new products to consumers all the time. Your millage might vary. I do not use FB or any other social media "stuff". No google products with the exception of gmail.

They know who we are. With that said, I don' mind putting my name on everything I post. ...... Double edge sword? maybe, but over the long haul it wont really matter. The best advice BIL gave was use strong passwords and do NOT use your email password on any thing else but email.

On the topic of internet security, here is his tip for us "password challenged" folks. Pick a single pass code and use it for your online profile in the following manner:

My base password is "P@SSwoRd" . If you visit Ebay or Amazon for example prefix, or suffix your base with a combination of characters from the site you visit. "EBAP@SSwoRd"; and AMAP@SSwoRd"; P@SSwoRDEBA; P@SSwoRdAMA . Change your base every six months.

Do NOT use my example of Password it is commonly hacked.

~Whitney

I can see two possible reasons for overturning it. There may be others but from my somewhat limited understanding of the situation (worked for a couple years as a system administrator/security engineer for a small ISP that specialized in colo hosting, a couple years in tech support for Microsoft, couple years in tech support for Qwest wireless honestly nothing high up so Its very possible that I am missing all kinds of important details)

1: Someone is a hardcore believer in the free market and is against government telling business what they can do (which if there Actually was a free market when it comes to ISP's would be one thing but sadly a couple big ISP's have locked down areas making it illegal/very cost prohibitive to enter into an market as an ISP)

2: You get fat paid by the cable companies and cell phone companies to maximize profits for you

The thing is with them killing these protections really nothing has changed. They where allowed to keep and sell this data before and they still can. Now as far as I know no ISP has been caught doing this (obviously it would really hurt them in the pr department). The best thing you can do is donate money to the EFF (electronic frontier foundation, the NRA for interwebnetron related matters eff.org) and use TOR or a VPN (iirc I got a year of cyber ghost in a humble bundle for like 15$ so I'm sure just buying it alone wouldn't be too bad).

While it is true that if a .gov type entity wants to hack you they will find a way in, you can still decrease the odd's of you being caught up in a sweep for "low hanging fruit" by maintaining good digital OPSEC .
You used allowed,that's funny right there.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews