JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think Starlink is going to get much demand for this; the price is the same, not much if any performance improvement (that is known), it isn't smaller and it consumes more power.

OTOH, when they come out with the mini-dish, that may be a hot seller.

I've had it for about 8 months now. I have an unobstructed view of the north sky, and so far I have had zero outages. Speeds average between 100-250mbps, which is much better than the 10mbps service from centurylink that was my only other alternative in my rural area. I'm pretty sold on it. It's been rock solid with no issues so far. Highly recommend. Also I'm glad my dollars aren't supporting woke BS, so that's another bonus.

This Tech is getting quite impressive. Sounds like soon people will be able to go hiking and have the damn net with them. Should be fun to see.
I look forward to being able to text message anyone almost anywhere - if I am somewhere that there isn't a cell tower, then there is one passing overhead attached to a satellite. My main objective would be to ask for help if I am injured or stuck somewhere, but I am thinking my actual usage would be to tell my daughter I am okay while I am out and about in the boonies, regardless of where I am.

I am guessing there will probably be an additional service fee for this capability.

FYI - I am soon going to put my RV Starlink system up for sale - I am not using it, I haven't since 2022. I used my Residential system until last year when I switched to TMobile Home Internet. I will be keeping the Residential system until I sell the house. I keep it powered to get the firmware updates. It is my fallback and I will probably sell it with the house.

look forward to being able to text message anyone almost anywhere - if I am somewhere that there isn't a cell tower, then there is one passing overhead attached to a satellite. My main objective would be to ask for help if I am injured or stuck somewhere, but I am thinking my actual usage would be to tell my daughter I am okay while I am out and about in the boonies, regardless of where I am.
We have been doing this for the past 10 years with our inReach device (first Delorme, now Garmin). It is how we coordinate with "home base" on where we are, how we are progressing, and what the rendezvous timing looks like for pick up. My wife has even used it to coordinate the extraction of an injured hypothermic hiker while doing 100+ miles up near Glacier Peak (WA).

I do welcome the function becoming "integrated" into our regular devices rather than carrying a separate one.

We have been doing this for the past 10 years with our inReach device (first Delorme, now Garmin). It is how we coordinate with "home base" on where we are, how we are progressing, and what the rendezvous timing looks like for pick up. My wife has even used it to coordinate the extraction of an injured hypothermic hiker while doing 100+ miles up near Glacier Peak (WA).

I do welcome the function becoming "integrated" into our regular devices rather than carrying a separate one.
I had a Spot subscription for a while - but let it lapse.

I got my starling up and running on my genny. Ice was a problem since it had been allowed to freeze, but I turned it up to "preheat" in the app. When you get an inch of ice on the thing it seems to impact sat tracking. I could only get a connection when the sats were in optimum position. Now that it has had time to cook for a few hours it seems like tracking is doing much better, despite the layer of ice still visible on the top of the tracker.

We are predicted to be out of power for the next week. More freezing rain is due tomorrow. I will be online only while I need power for other things. (remote work, running the fridge, etc.). I must say it is super nice having internet while power is out. We lost cell towers, telcom junction boxes, basically everything. But all starlink needs is a some electricity and a few hours to thaw out. The Icemaggedon does not reach to space apparently.

How much is starlink?
Last I checked, it was $120/mo for Residential, $150/mo for Roam. The former is used at a specific address, the latter can be moved to wherever you want to use it as you see fit. You can change addresses for the Residential as you see fit - but you need to notify Starlink and they need to approve the move - but from what I have read, that process only takes a few hours to a day or two. Last I heard, you can switch the types of services.

Equipment is $600. The equipment is the same for the two different service types.

I am going to sell my Gen 2 system for $300. I only used it for two months (back when I bought it, you could not switch from Roam to Residential, so even though I had already had the equipment that would work with the Residential service, they would not let me use it. They do now.

Considering they have almost 5500 satellites in orbit, that these are 1st gen satellites, and that they put up 50-100 3-4th gen satellites (with 4-5X the capacity), this is no big deal - except maybe it might be some kewl optics as the satellites burn up in the atmosphere.

Every month when I get the notice that I paid Concast I think maybe its time to give them a try. Pretty sure the contract we signed with them is about to expire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top