JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was in Australia last month we were out on Lake Gairdner, over 100 miles from the nearest streetlight, and there were at least four Starlink disks set up there. People using their devices just like they were sitting on their couches at home. Everyone that I talked to was ecstatic about the service and were offering the use of it to anyone who wanted to log in, no concerns about too many users or effects on service. Better connected in the middle of nowhere today than anywhere in the world just a few years ago!! It really is astounding progress.

I have heard a guy on the morning radio saying they have learned to use them to drop grenades on Russian guys hiding leading to some great footage of some trying to surrender to one .
Lots of grenade/bomb into tank and grenade into trench videos on YouTube. Here is the surrender one I think you may be talking about:

Awesome. Look for them in the sky tonight. It should be a long train of satellites moving through the sky.

Here is a video of three of their satellites together. This was long after a launch though so they were all separated by this point. My understand is it should be a line of 22 satellites in the sky.

I hope they launch these V2 sats more often
My understanding is that the last of the V1.5 satellites launched yesterday and that starting tomorrow they will only be launching the V2 minis until they get Starship orbiting at which point they will be launching the full sized V2 satellites.

I could be wrong, there might be one more V1.5 launch, but someone told me a few weeks ago that there were only two more V1.5 launches planned then after that they would launch only V2 minis. The V2 minis are reported to have 4X the capability of the V1.5 satellites.

ETA - I was wrong; I found an updated schedule and the last of the V1.5 satellites is planned for next week on the 12th. A different site said the launch tomorrow would be V2 minis - usually 20+ (22?).

It takes weeks to months for a launched SL satellite to reach operational orbit and become operational, but with their regular launches - almost weekly, new satellites are coming online almost every week.

I haven't seen a massive improvement in my performance, but it seems that what I do see is more regular speeds well above what I need, and less slow speeds, despite a lot more people deploying user terminals.

Last Edited:
My understanding is that the last of the V1.5 satellites launched yesterday and that starting tomorrow they will only be launching the V2 minis until they get Starship orbiting at which point they will be launching the full sized V2 satellites.

I could be wrong, there might be one more V1.5 launch, but someone told me a few weeks ago that there were only two more V1.5 launches planned then after that they would launch only V2 minis. The V2 minis are reported to have 4X the capability of the V1.5 satellites.

ETA - I was wrong; I found an updated schedule and the last of the V1.5 satellites is planned for next week on the 12th. A different site said the launch tomorrow would be V2 minis - usually 20+ (22?).

It takes weeks to months for a launched SL satellite to reach operational orbit and become operational, but with their regular launches - almost weekly, new satellites are coming online almost every week.

I haven't seen a massive improvement in my performance, but it seems that what I do see is more regular speeds well above what I need, and less slow speeds, despite a lot more people deploying user terminals.
There have been at least two more "mini" V2 launches. I believe they will all be V2 from now on. Awaiting the Starship launches later this year or early next year. The landings of that ought to be spectacular. I love the landings of the Falcons as is, especially when two of them land at the same time on land instead of the ships. Just really makes me feel like I am in the space age.

Even though all the deciduous trees are fully leafed out on all sides of my, performance is better than ever.

1690381481767.png
1690381551662.png

I don't care much about upload speeds - I rarely use more than 1 mpbs for uploads - mostly just key strokes, HTTP requests (ask to load/refresh a web page, which results in a download) and the occasional upload of a pic.

Updated the f/w on my inactive RV/Roam dish - had not done that for over 3 months. Took longer but it worked ok.

SpaceX will try for a "threesome" next week, three Starlink launches of V2 "mini" satellites in one week.

One tomorrow, one Monday and then one Thursday.
SpaceX completed three launches this week, with the last this morning (ET) for a total of 59 V2 satellites this week.

The V2 satellites have about 4X the capacity of the earlier V1.5 satellites, so these three launches were about the equivalent of 250-260 of the smaller previous satellites.

The launch from California reportedly went into a polar orbit and were only 15 satellites because that orbit had to be a lighter payload. I assume this orbit is to give better coverage for polar areas of the earth, like Alaska. Most of the satellites do not cover those areas because their orbits only go so far south & north:

Starlink-map.jpg

Starlink is slowly increasing the number of sats in polar orbits. I had read that the coverage in Alaska is spotty with regards to time (dropouts) due to their being less satellites - but decent when a satellite is in view. That should get better as more satellites in polar orbits come online.

starlinkplanesblack.jpg

SpaceX completed three launches this week, with the last this morning (ET) for a total of 59 V2 satellites this week.

The V2 satellites have about 4X the capacity of the earlier V1.5 satellites, so these three launches were about the equivalent of 250-260 of the smaller previous satellites.

The launch from California reportedly went into a polar orbit and were only 15 satellites because that orbit had to be a lighter payload. I assume this orbit is to give better coverage for polar areas of the earth, like Alaska. Most of the satellites do not cover those areas because their orbits only go so far south & north:

Starlink-map.jpg

Starlink is slowly increasing the number of sats in polar orbits. I had read that the coverage in Alaska is spotty with regards to time (dropouts) due to their being less satellites - but decent when a satellite is in view. That should get better as more satellites in polar orbits come online.

View attachment 1468487
How resistant are they to CMEs? 'Tis the season.

By this time tomorrow, Starlink will have done another three launches of V2 mini sats this week. That is six launches in less than two weeks, with a total of ~5000 satellites total launched since they started (some of those have been deorbited).

Speed for Oregon is 50-150 mbps - which matches the range of speeds I see - although I sometimes see 150-200 mbps.

Interestingly, of the four cells marked "expanding" (new Residential service not available - cell full up), mine is one.

Last Edited:
While on the back acreage, where in past years I would get 15-20 mbps (while at my house I was lucky to get 10mbps) I tested my T-Mobile data speed and saw 100+mbps. So I tested at my house and saw even better speeds - 150 mbps.

Problem is, T-Mobile doesn't provide "home internet" here, and if you don't have that, they can cut your speeds at any time, and they don't support video streaming/etc.

Also, their "home internet" is limited to 300GB per month, which is how much I use, sometimes more. They have "unlimited" "business internet", but that too is probably not offered at my address (I would have to fill out a form and talk to a sales person).

So for now, I am sticking with Starlink.

Interestingly, of the four cells marked "expanding" (new Residential service not available - cell full up), mine is one.

The only place I see (on their map) as a waitlist is Ukraine. Some other countries have "available soon" - but no more waitlists due to too many people wanting it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top