JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll learn to be more careful when I'm handling gun parts behind a compressed spring. I ended up spending a good 40 minutes today chasing yet another part that I accidentally launched across a room, only to disappear until I moved a number of things and did some digging :(

The culprit today - a 1911 recoil spring plug. I don't have a 1911 barrel bushing wrench, so I just use my fingers to press down on the plug while I twist the barrel bushing to assemble/disassemble. I was reassembling my newly acquired Para this morning after doing my initial cleaning. I had everything back together and was making the final move to compress the spring/plug while rotating the barrel bushing back - well, the bushing got hung up, so I went to move my finger to move it to a different position, and SPROING!, it was gone, far across the room to the most inaccessible spot in the room :mad:

One of these days, I'm going to remember my own advice and, at least whenever possible, put what I'm working on inside a clear bag/baggie while I'm working to help contain flying parts. That, and I need to really invest in some spare parts for some of my guns...

Last Edited:
;) I have taken apart 1000's of all kinds of boomsticks...And still on occasion I launch something.
It happens, good thing is I pass out flashlights and promise sweet treats and the little ones go on a hunt.

;) I have taken apart 1000's of all kinds of boomsticks...And still on occasion I launch something.
It happens, good thing is I pass out flashlights and promise sweet treats and the little ones go on a hunt.

Actually, my daughter helped me find it...:) And, she spent some time decapping 9mm cases for me too - I give her a little $ every time she helps me process brass.

I've been pretty lucky with springs so far, even with a few that i should have known better, even they didn't dare launch on me :)

I have a 12" wide broom magnet on a stick. It's the only thing that saves me. Like Velzey, I still launch parts across the room.
As for the recoil spring plug, it took me 30 minutes to find one I dropped in the gravel the other day among all the crap steel Russian casings that people are too lazy to clean up...

Yes, I too have winged a spring into never, never land! I've found a few with the magnetic base from a dial indicator!
Though the members who have read my posts may have some difficulty believing it, I can learn from experience and keep a heavy, clear plastic bag in my bench drawer!o_O

Yes, I too have winged a spring into never, never land! I've found a few with the magnetic base from a dial indicator!
Though the members who have read my posts may have some difficulty believing it, I can learn from experience and keep a heavy, clear plastic bag in my bench drawer!o_O

Yeah, I learned that lesson a few years ago, but for some darn reason, I don't bother to grab that bag when I should o_O

if you don't have a bushing wrench on hand you can use the rounded tab on the bottom of a single stack magazine....
for disassembly I'll put a shop rag over everything to remove the spring plug.

Just a public service announcement... Do NOT put the plastic bag over your head, you could suffocate.

:D

GLAD I'm not the only one to loose parts! My favorite are the E-Clips!!! Man, those can really launch, and with no set trajectory, can litterer fly any which way! Back when I was Racing Indoor Carpet R/C cars, you had to keep a stash of all the little e-clips or you didn't race very long!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews