JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll learn to be more careful when I'm handling gun parts behind a compressed spring. I ended up spending a good 40 minutes today chasing yet another part that I accidentally launched across a room, only to disappear until I moved a number of things and did some digging :(

The culprit today - a 1911 recoil spring plug. I don't have a 1911 barrel bushing wrench, so I just use my fingers to press down on the plug while I twist the barrel bushing to assemble/disassemble. I was reassembling my newly acquired Para this morning after doing my initial cleaning. I had everything back together and was making the final move to compress the spring/plug while rotating the barrel bushing back - well, the bushing got hung up, so I went to move my finger to move it to a different position, and SPROING!, it was gone, far across the room to the most inaccessible spot in the room :mad:

One of these days, I'm going to remember my own advice and, at least whenever possible, put what I'm working on inside a clear bag/baggie while I'm working to help contain flying parts. That, and I need to really invest in some spare parts for some of my guns...

Last Edited:
;) I have taken apart 1000's of all kinds of boomsticks...And still on occasion I launch something.
It happens, good thing is I pass out flashlights and promise sweet treats and the little ones go on a hunt.

;) I have taken apart 1000's of all kinds of boomsticks...And still on occasion I launch something.
It happens, good thing is I pass out flashlights and promise sweet treats and the little ones go on a hunt.

Actually, my daughter helped me find it...:) And, she spent some time decapping 9mm cases for me too - I give her a little $ every time she helps me process brass.

I've been pretty lucky with springs so far, even with a few that i should have known better, even they didn't dare launch on me :)

I have a 12" wide broom magnet on a stick. It's the only thing that saves me. Like Velzey, I still launch parts across the room.
As for the recoil spring plug, it took me 30 minutes to find one I dropped in the gravel the other day among all the crap steel Russian casings that people are too lazy to clean up...

Yes, I too have winged a spring into never, never land! I've found a few with the magnetic base from a dial indicator!
Though the members who have read my posts may have some difficulty believing it, I can learn from experience and keep a heavy, clear plastic bag in my bench drawer!o_O

Yes, I too have winged a spring into never, never land! I've found a few with the magnetic base from a dial indicator!
Though the members who have read my posts may have some difficulty believing it, I can learn from experience and keep a heavy, clear plastic bag in my bench drawer!o_O

Yeah, I learned that lesson a few years ago, but for some darn reason, I don't bother to grab that bag when I should o_O

if you don't have a bushing wrench on hand you can use the rounded tab on the bottom of a single stack magazine....
for disassembly I'll put a shop rag over everything to remove the spring plug.

Just a public service announcement... Do NOT put the plastic bag over your head, you could suffocate.

:D

GLAD I'm not the only one to loose parts! My favorite are the E-Clips!!! Man, those can really launch, and with no set trajectory, can litterer fly any which way! Back when I was Racing Indoor Carpet R/C cars, you had to keep a stash of all the little e-clips or you didn't race very long!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top