JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
9AF10295-C9FD-43D4-A27F-5F7F193FC38E.jpeg D288826F-1827-45C4-8F58-C6D6125FEA6C.jpeg 501DBEE4-F398-4542-BB2A-B9F6DD4E161B.jpeg I was thinking about my 1886 LC Smith 10 gauge shotgun this morning, my thoughts drifted to the old Wyatt Earp tv show and the character "Shotgun Gibbs" played by the great Morgan Woodward. So, I was hacking around the net and ran across a fairly recent photo of Hugh O'Brien. He passed away not long ago but found his photos illustrative of many of us here. Hugh was a hunk in his younger years, single most of his life, a very conservative guy. He was often paired with upcoming starlets to upgrade there visibility in Hollywood but he was also the youngest US Marine TI during WW2 and a very capeable guy in real life. These are some photos from various times in his life. People see we old guys and have the idea we were always old and infirm......but we were all young, tough and agile once.

I was training with a big older guy yesterday. I really misunderestinated him until I saw him shoot and move!

I would add: his AR had a gas block issue and kept jamming, so he pulled a folding stock 7.63x39 AK out of his truck, and hit the 50 yard steel target so rapdily he nocked the stand over on his first target run.

The other thing that struck me about Hugh was of all the things he has done and accomplished in his life, he seemed most proud of his Marine corps service. I have had a very full life as well but do tend to fixate on my 13 years in Air Force Rescue. Maby it is the memory of invincibility, capeability, health and comradeship from those years......I don't know, but it seems to be common.

I believe that we look back in our younger years at our most rewarding times.

I was in the army during peacetime and was just a glorified Grease Monkey parts changer in a motor pool. There really didn't seem to be any chance of advancement for my situation so I did my 3 years and got out. Although I was about the only one that would volunteer to go down range with the grunts cuz they were always shooting and blowing s*** up!!!:D:D:D

I'm more fixated on my telephone cable splicing career after my service days. I met some lifelong friends, good people, made a ton of money & supported my family.

RIP @salmonriverjohn

Many of the "Old Guys" I served with , taught me things that kept me alive later...
Most of my friends are "Old Guys " as well...it seems I have in common with them , than many of guys my age.
Andy
The "old guys" we served with were mostly under 40.........that was a long time ago. It is all about perspective. When I go to the VA.......and see other "old guys" it makes me feel pretty healthy.

How old was Hugh Glass when he was left in the wilderness for dead?

That depends on what source you use...
Many accounts of his background , can't be proved one way or the other...and often conflict or contradict each other , sometimes , even in the same source.

Old may just have been someone who had been around for awhile and had some experience.

Since Ashley and his "Boys*"...were really just boys ...many of them were in their late teens or early twenties here when the Bear got Glass...Someone in their late twenties or early thirties might have been "old " to them.

I would guess ...Glass was late twenties or in the early thirties...again just a guess on my part here.

*Bridger was 16-18 ish....
Fitzpatrick and Smith were in their early twenties...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads