JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a new handgun user and am over 60 years old so my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I wear contacts - actually monovision contacts so my dominate eye is for distance and my other eye is for close up. When I shoot, I change contacts so that i can see my sights with my dominate eye. But, this makes the target very fussy.
Has anyone else with this problem tried using laser sights like the Crimson laser? And has it helped or not? thanks,

My eyes are about 10 years older. I don't mess with any of the fancy sights, just use EMP9596's tips. Electrical tape is the simplest and for holes I just use a "Nail set". There's enough of a cup on the tip to cut a round hole that for me is just right.

As for Crimson Trace, they're more for SD use. There is an offset between the bore and the sight so they are only truly accurate at ONE distance. Too close and you bullet hits to one side and too far, it hits on the other side. I wouldn't bother with them for target shooting.

For Self Defense training at close range I rely on "Point Shooting' far faster than trying to locate a laser spot. Just requires regular practice but once learned it's more than adequate. Unless you're Clint Eastwood and shooting bank robbers from a block away, the likelihood that a Self Defense "shoot" will involve distances of more than 20 feet are extremely rare. That's about the maximum distance across an large room in one's home.

I'm also nearly 60 years old. Have had trifocals for about 10 years and iron sights are a pain - I just keep moving my head to focus from sights to target and back. Now I have what my doctor calls a vitreous detachment in my shooting eye, which resulted in a big "floater" that gets in the way of my sighting vision. On long guns receiver sights help, and I can use a big, bold open sight like on my old Nylon 66. For pistol, my eyeglass maker says he can build me vertical bifocals - shift head slightly side to side to focus sights and target. I can't really afford a pair now, but the idea sounds good and the doc says he has sold some.

Now I have what my doctor calls a vitreous detachment in my shooting eye, which resulted in a big "floater" that gets in the way of my sighting vision.

Reading this made me chuckle. Last time I went to the "Eye Doc" she said "You've got a neat floater in there. Looks like a small bat". She then proceeded to laugh.

At least mine doesn't get in my way.

I'm 63, and I simply focus on the sights and shoot for "center fuzz". Now I am not so blind that I don't know exactly what I'm shooting at, I'm speaking only to where to focus here. Now as to closer, quicker shooting I had the great good fortune to be taught "quick kill" in the Army and it was easy to transfer the skill to handguns and shotguns. Basically you were given a Daisy with no sites and started shooting 3in aluminum discs at about 3ft ( tossed in the air so as to present their side to you). As you progressed they worked you down to dimes at 6ft. It was amazingly easy and the point was to teach you where to place the muzzle to hit the target with a rifle. As I say easy to transfer to handguns. I have not searched for info on the technique but surely some exists. Hope this helps a little, good luck! Check out Quick Kill under point shooting at Wikipedia.

Last Edited:
By the way, Deadshot 2,for some reason I'm envious of a bat shaped dot! Does it appear that way to you?

No, just is a small "blob" that really doesn't get in the way if my vision at all. Showed up after a motorcycle accident back in 1969. Gee, I wonder why?:huh::cool:

As to your "quick kill" reference, you remind me of another program the military had. Just about every Air Force Base, back before they took the machine guns out of bombers, had a Trap Range. People used clay birds to improve their point and shoot skills. The theory was that if you could learn how to lead a clay bird with a 12 ga., then you were on the right track to lead an enemy plane with a 50 cal. I used to shoot at the "Paine Field Gun Club" which was the old Paine Field Air Force Base until the '60s. Range closed down when Boeing outgrew their facility at what is now Snohomish County's Paine Field Airport.

Deadshot, I think that there is some validity to that theory. I know that it is difficult to walk tracer on to a moving target, much easier if you start with an approximate lead then make a small adjustment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top