JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm thinking about attending an Appleseed event and I need a sling. It's for a tube fed Winchester Model 77 with no sling studs. Any recommendations for/experience with slip-on slings? Are they even worth it - as in usable for support while shooting? I'm hesitant to have studs installed as it's old and kind of rare being a tube fed variation, but not really collectable, so... Maybe studs?

One trouble with installing sling studs on older .22 rifles is that the length between the studs may be too short for many if not most slings.
So no matter how tight you pull /adjust the sling , it still will hang loose when pulled as tight as it can be.
With a loose sling I have found that it throws the balance of the rifle off.
I have this issue with my Remington 511.

if you attach the sling swivel on the magazine tube be careful that you do not bend the tube while using the sling.
Hope this makes sense...

The Leatherman makes some slip on slings for muzzleloaders.
He makes some good stuff.
But I'm not sure if they would work 'cause they might be too long.
Track of the Wolf and the Gun Works both carry his products.
Good luck in your search!
Andy

One trouble with installing sling studs on older .22 rifles is that the length between the studs may be too short for many if not most slings.
So no matter how tight you pull /adjust the sling , it still will hang loose when pulled as tight as it can be.
With a loose sling I have found that it throws the balance of the rifle off.
I have this issue with my Remington 511.

if you attach the sling swivel on the magazine tube be careful that you do not bend the tube while using the sling.
Hope this makes sense...

The Leatherman makes some slip on slings for muzzleloaders.
He makes some good stuff.
But I'm not sure if they would work 'cause they might be too long.
Track of the Wolf and the Gun Works both carry his products.
Good luck in your search!
Andy

Huh, good point. I hadn't thought about the stud to stud distance.

I did come across The Leatherman's stuff and some others that have a harness type of setup for the butt of the rifle. I guess I just don't know enough about sling supported shooting to tell whether or not they are apropriate for that application or more of a means for carrying the rifle. (When spellchecking 'whether' I just learned that a 'wether' is a castrated sheep. Useless fact of the day)

Thanks for the info Andy!

I'm new to sling shooting myself, getting introduced to it through Service Rifle (CMP), I would definitely pay heed to Andy's recommendations. Would you be willing to pay someone to properly equip your rifle? I'm sure our friendly neighborhood gunsmiths here on NWFA could do it properly for you.

One question though, I thought I read on the Appleseed site that they discourage the use of tube magazine guns since there are some components that are timed and require a reload. I don't think they ban them outright, but I thought I read that. Have you looked into that yourself? I've got a Marlin 60 that could work for those events, but I've ignored it since it's a tube magazine.

One question though, I thought I read on the Appleseed site that they discourage the use of tube magazine guns since there are some components that are timed and require a reload. I don't think they ban them outright, but I thought I read that. Have you looked into that yourself? I've got a Marlin 60 that could work for those events, but I've ignored it since it's a tube magazine.

I somehow missed that part :(.

I somehow missed that part :(.

If you need a magazine fed gun and don't want to buy a new 10/22, for example, look for a used Marlin 795 in the classifieds. They are great guns, use 10-round magazines, and can easily be equipped with Tech Sights or something to that effect. You can probably find a used one for under $200, maybe around $150? I have a Marlin 7000 which is simply the 795 with a shorter bull barrel - @Velzey just installed Tech Sights and an upgraded trigger for me a few months ago, in anticipation of using it for an Appleseed event.

If you need a magazine fed gun and don't want to buy a new 10/22, for example, look for a used Marlin 795 in the classifieds. They are great guns, use 10-round magazines, and can easily be equipped with Tech Sights or something to that effect. You can probably find a used one for under $200, maybe around $150? I have a Marlin 7000 which is simply the 795 with a shorter bull barrel - @Velzey just installed Tech Sights and an upgraded trigger for me a few months ago, in anticipation of using it for an Appleseed event.

Good info, thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads