JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. Unfamiliar with 1911's and I'm not sure if I need to replace this barrel. Came off a 1943 colt 1911a1. To me it looks as if the barrel is shot out but I'm not familar enough with them. It also has a Springfield marking on the frame that I've never seen before. Also think I need a new recoil spring as I want to be able to shoot it. I've attached some pictures and any advice would be appreciated.

108F6726-A310-4A9A-97DD-3211414C8F55.jpeg 6501AD4E-F292-4414-A72E-8448FC89FC7F.jpeg 0652EE66-D772-4087-A27C-265E76C1AEB9.jpeg DF36F321-2E1F-46E8-9C4B-FCED4D1E05A2.jpeg

Are there any stamped markings on the barrel lugs?
The stamped markings on the rear of the frame above the right grip panel (Two crossed cannons in a circle) are the Board of Ordnance final acceptance stamp.

Last Edited:
Not very stiff at all. I know the gun hasn't been shot in 40 years but I would assume it had to of gotten shot a fair amount being it was a 1943 gun.

The recoil spring is the first thing I would look into before shooting it. They are very cheap. If not sure pop a new one in. Then see what it does. I had a 1911 made in 1918 for a long time. It was beat to death when I got it. Bore was very pitted, guessing a lot of early corrosive primed ammo had been used in it. It shot amazingly well so I never bothered to replace the barrel. If the spring is weak it will let the modern ammo pound the pistol good. Assuming it shoots well some new sights would be nice.

I've got a new 14 lb. Wolff spring you can have. Let me know if you're interested we I can meet up in Portland somewhere.
I can bring my 1944 Remington Rand and show you what a nice job Velzey did on the parkerizing finish.

I've got a new 14 lb. Wolff spring you can have. Let me know if you're interested we I can meet up in Portland somewhere.
I can bring my 1944 Remington Rand and show you what a nice job Velzey did on the parkerizing finish.

I might takeyou up on that. Not sure when ill be up in portland, term starting next week. I beleive its a mixed gun. Colt slide, Remington frame based off the FJA inspector marks

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top