Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oiling/Preparing Infrequently Shot Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by raindog, Oct 31, 2012.

1. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

I have some guns I don't shoot all that often - maybe once a year, maybe even less frequently. What do you guys use for keep guns rust-free for that period of time? Just normal CLP type stuff or...?

A product called "Rig" was recommended to me, but I've never used it. Brownell's sells it.

These are mostly milsurp rifles, so old wood and old steel. And no, I'm not putting them back in cosmoline :)

2. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

where are they stored?

3. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Gun safe indoors.

4. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

just lube them heavily than normal or try paste based lube.

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does your safe have a dehumidifier? Might think about one.

6. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

Raindog, I use Tetra Gun Grease, the stuff in the white tube, wipe it on then lightly wipe it off, I use it on all metal to metal contacts, I still use clp to clean, but all my guns especially stored ones get greased.

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I lube and oil my guns with breakfree. On guns that won't be shot for an extended, I simply don't wipe the excess oil off of the gun until I pull them out to shoot. I also use silicone socks for long term storage in my safe...

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

My new Kimber manual says to clean it twice a year when stored.

So far I can't even remove the take down pin to clean it before I hit the range. There must be a trick I'm missing somewhere.

9. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i just spray a coat of CLP and lightly wipe it off. Leave a good coat and pit it away

10. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Just a heads up. I lubed a couple of long overdue, bone dry pellet guns the other day. They were both working fine, but I assumed the lube would only help since it's been years.

Can't describe how pissed off I was the next day with a woodpecker under my eaves in the crosshairs, and... nothing. Three stinking times!!!

Now I've fired them both several dozen times and they're 100% again.

I know that airguns are different inside, but what I learned was to make sure that a weapon is still functional after I do any maintenance.

11. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

12. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Vaseline, it's a poor mans cosmoline. Wipe a good coat on, lightly wipe it off, same for the bore and action, just remember to run a degreaser through the bore on a patch a few times to remove it before sending one down range. I've used it for years for long term storage and I guarantee they wont rust. Try it, it's cheap and very effective.