JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some guns I don't shoot all that often - maybe once a year, maybe even less frequently. What do you guys use for keep guns rust-free for that period of time? Just normal CLP type stuff or...?

A product called "Rig" was recommended to me, but I've never used it. Brownell's sells it.

These are mostly milsurp rifles, so old wood and old steel. And no, I'm not putting them back in cosmoline :)

Raindog, I use Tetra Gun Grease, the stuff in the white tube, wipe it on then lightly wipe it off, I use it on all metal to metal contacts, I still use clp to clean, but all my guns especially stored ones get greased.

I lube and oil my guns with breakfree. On guns that won't be shot for an extended, I simply don't wipe the excess oil off of the gun until I pull them out to shoot. I also use silicone socks for long term storage in my safe...

My new Kimber manual says to clean it twice a year when stored.

So far I can't even remove the take down pin to clean it before I hit the range. There must be a trick I'm missing somewhere.

Just a heads up. I lubed a couple of long overdue, bone dry pellet guns the other day. They were both working fine, but I assumed the lube would only help since it's been years.

Can't describe how pissed off I was the next day with a woodpecker under my eaves in the crosshairs, and... nothing. Three stinking times!!!

Now I've fired them both several dozen times and they're 100% again.

I know that airguns are different inside, but what I learned was to make sure that a weapon is still functional after I do any maintenance.

Vaseline, it's a poor mans cosmoline. Wipe a good coat on, lightly wipe it off, same for the bore and action, just remember to run a degreaser through the bore on a patch a few times to remove it before sending one down range. I've used it for years for long term storage and I guarantee they wont rust. Try it, it's cheap and very effective.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top