JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.kptv.com/story/15268309/investigators-find-ammunitions-after-apartment-fire-in-astoria

Posted: Aug 15, 2011 8:08 AM Updated: Aug 15, 2011 8:23 AM By FOX 12 Staff - email

Astoria. Ore. -- Police and firefighters in Astoria say a 70-year-old man was storing several thousand rounds of ammunition and reloading supplies in an apartment that caught on fire over the weekend.

Crews responded to a report of smoke coming from a duplex in Astoria on Saturday night. While extinguishing the fire, crews found some questionable items. Investigators with Astoria police and the Oregon State Police returned to the scene on Sunday. That's when they found several thousand rounds of ammunition, reloading supplies, and several cylinders.

Police say the cylinders can be used to make pipe bombs - or watertight caches used to store documents or other items. The man who lives in the apartment says that's what he was making.

Police say nothing inside the apartment was illegal, though some of the ammunition and reloading supplies were turned over to OSP for disposal because of the risk associated with fire and water damage.

Investigators say the cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion from some old or damaged smokeless powder. Astoria police say this is a good reminder to anyone using reloading supplies to safely store them in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Given the title I of the thread, I thought the article was going to make the guy look crazy. Glad to see it didn't. If he only had smokeless powder around, he probably wasn't making pipe bombs.

Investigators say the cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion from some old or damaged smokeless powder

That's hard to believe unless he was storing it on his stove top. Powder is extremely stable long term and I have no idea how to 'damage' it.

Me thinks they are trying hard to make this sound scary.

Perhaps his smokeless powder was damaged by nitric acid.
Or he had a pile of single base and double base propellants all mixed up on a hot surface, and they began to degrade and created heat etc.

I am glad no one was hurt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads