JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Terrible. Basically, anybody without a "mainstream political viewpoint" can be targeted and unjustly labeled here. If this goes any further than a mention, it is an obvious stomping of many people's rights.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/22/terror.guns/index.html

People on terrorist watch list allowed to buy guns

* Story Highlights
* Report says more than 900 background checks conducted on watch list subjects
* About 90 percent of those sales were allowed to proceed
* Senator says he is introducing measure to curtail sales to "terrorists"
* Watch list has been criticized as containing outdated information

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- When people on the government's terrorist watch list have tried to buy guns or explosives in recent years, the government has let them the vast majority of the time.
Current law doesn't stop firearm or explosives sales to people whose names are on the terrorist watch list.

Current law doesn't stop firearm or explosives sales to people whose names are on the terrorist watch list.

That's the finding of a new report by the Government Accountability Office, sent to lawmakers last month and released publicly Monday.

From February 2004 to February 2009, 963 background checks using the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System "resulted in valid matches with terrorist watch list records; of these matches, approximately 90 percent were allowed to proceed because the checks revealed no prohibiting information," the GAO report says. About 10 percent were denied.

"Under current law, there is no basis to automatically prohibit a person from possessing firearms or explosives because they appear on the terrorist watch list," wrote the GAO's director of homeland security and justice issues, Eileen R. Larence.

"Rather, there must be a disqualifying factor (i.e., prohibiting information) pursuant to federal or state law, such as a felony conviction or illegal immigration status."

Of the 963 background checks, 865 were allowed to proceed, and 98 were denied, the report said.

The GAO provided the report in response to a request from Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-New Jersey. The GAO said Lautenberg had requested an update to a 2005 report.

In a statement Monday, Lautenberg said, "this new report is proof positive that known and suspected terrorists are exploiting a major loophole in our law, threatening our families and our communities. This 'terror gap' has been open too long, and our national security demands that we shut it down."

The statement said Lautenberg is introducing legislation that would give the U.S. attorney general "authority to stop the sale of guns or explosives to terrorists."

However, an official with the National Rifle Association, the leading lobbyist group that espouses gun ownership rights, said problems with the terror watch list made a broad prohibition likely to violate the rights of law-abiding citizens.

"The integrity of the terror watch list is poor, as it mistakenly contains the names of many men and women, including some high-profile Americans, who have not violated the law," said a statement by Chris W. Cox, the NRA chief lobbyist. "In fact, a March 2009 report by the inspector general of the Department of Justice concluded that many people whose names were mistakenly placed on the list remain there even after their cases have been vetted and closed."

The GAO notes that being on a terrorist watch list does not mean that someone is involved in any terrorist activity.

Last month, the Justice Department reported that the FBI had kept thousands of names on its watch list based on outdated information and should have removed them.​

What a joke. My son was on the terror watch list for years while he was with the WSU Marching Band. Got pulled aside a few times trying to board a plane with the band travelling to a football game.

Yep, ya got to watch out for them BAND TERRORISTS! :s0077: It took a letter to Homeland Security to get him off and then it was a couple of months before they responded.

It figures that LautenTurd would be huffing and puffing about this.

The terror watch list was a Bush/Cheney enemies list and now it is an Obama/Emanuel enemies list. Getting put on it is at the whim of the powers that be with no legal due process. There is no way to know if you are on it (without trying to fly or now trying to buy a gun) and no way to get off. Welcome to the Brave New World Order my brothers.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788

If assciations to known radicals gets you on the terror watch list, then BHO should be at the top of the list via those like William Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, et. al.

+1 on that!!

BTW- Under NORMAL circumstances if BHO were to apply for a department of defense type job, he would have been rejected as he wouldn't qualify for a security clearance... talk about the foxes guarding the chicken coop!!

at some point in time, it will become self evident ; those on the terror watch list are the patriots. Those who belive in, and adhere to the U.S. Constitution the Bill of Rights.

Remeber as Thomas Jefferson, said when you fear the government you have tierney, when the government fea the people you have Freedom.

Obama has already failed as Bush did, when you put your hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the constitution so help me God, once he violated the constitution he violated his oath. Obama is a liar.

Terrorists will just start having kids and naming them JOE, JACK AND MIKE. LOL

My son, the Marching Band terrorist, is named James and the last name isn't Bin -"Anything". The main reason I pestered him to jump thru the hoops to get his name off the list (Don't know whether he is really off of it or they just stopped detaining him at the airport) is so he could avoid crap like LautenTurd would like to see happen.

Sorry, this just makes my blood boil. :angry:

So, about ten percent of those on the list are actually barred from buying guns. Fine. That means there are about nine hundred thousand (of the million ON the list) who will be barred from owning a firearm if Rottenturd's bill passes..... nine hundred thousand Americans whose right to keep and bear arms will be infringed without due process. And, apparently, no right of redress. (another ammendment down the pipe).

I'm certain that, should ALL the laws be observed, BHO would not be able to get a normal civil service job, as he apparently is unable to verify his US Citizenship. And that doesn't even get close to his tidy cozy relationship with the likes of Ayers, Rezko, and other Chicago thugs.
what is particularly scary is no one seems to know HOW one gets on that list... and I've read, in regards this new bill, that the list will be expanding once it is passed... seems DHS will be wanting to add all those in the "classes" we found on the "watch lists" that were leaked, first from an office in Missouri, then later a national office. Abortion protestors, third-party supporters, NRA and 2nd Ammendment supporters, hey, I'd bet most of us on here will be on those lists before two years are up, if it manages to pass.

Who's letting continue to do this? Why the VOTERS are OF COURSE... they keep re-electing the same old schmucks (i.e. Schmuckie Schummer, Barney's Frank) time after time after time after time...

I wonder if our military is ever going to step in and uphold their oath to protect & defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC!! If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Hey Hey HEY!!! Hold on a minute... for real?! You should know that I have this idea copyrighted already, I'll go along with it as long as I get a percentage and a mention in the movie credits... plus I'd have to be the technical advisor because I have already envisioned the rounding up of all the offending, traitorous politicians (& support staff) at EVERY level government from County seats all the way to the top @ 1600 Penn Ave, then the public humilations, the beatings, then the trials and more beatings afterwrads, then feeding them one or two at a time to the carnivors @ the LA Zoo where they just built that SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR "pagota" for Chinese Golden Monkeys (BTW-China decided NOT to loan them the monkey's)... but it'd wind up like R. Lee Ermy in Full Metal Jacket when he got fed up with the actors and just played DI Hartman himself, and look how THAT turned out... did I mention I was a Drill Sergeant for 3-yrs. in the Army? (Seriously) :D

Fox, and Stomper, if memory serves, the crux of the film Shooter (Shootist, something like that) came down to the soldier, having been set up, framed, and now hunted down like a deer in October, finally realised he'd sworn to defend the Constitution against all threats, foreign and domestic, and that the present threat was certianly domestic. So, he took out the few key threats he could identify and access.... on the basis they were destroying the Constitution by their corruption in office (also having sworn, falsely, to protect and defend the Constitution against all threats foreign and domestic...)

Maybe the producers of that film saw this sort of thing coming...... the results of their efforts certainly speaks well to our present developing world.....

I wonder if DHS, FBI, BATFE, DoS, etc, would sit idly by as a film such as you describe were made and distributed. If they would, and it were true to its message (as you've outlined) it could have some amazing results...... it would be a very interesting project.

So, Castle Fox, are you involved in film'video production now? If so, on what level? PM if you're not comfortable broadcasting it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top