JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was a kid...I loved playing on those "Jungle Gyms" they were tons of fun...But that kinda changed when going through Basic , Airborne and Ranger School...it seems that the Army has a different notion of "fun" than me...:eek::D
Andy

Every thing was on cement and I'm surrised more kids didn't get hurt all those years!

My 1st/2nd grade was the Old School 2 floor, 1 room each floor/6 grades each room. We had that kind of play stuff on hard packed sand. I believe it taught us how hold on in spite of being scared, instead of running for our safe space. After all, if we fell it was because WE let go at the wrong time.

My buddy Rex (yes, in 1950!!!) split his head open on that high swing set. Concurrently he also got the school record for 'longest/highest bail out' from the swing, at nearly the height of the top bar.

I remain impressed to this day and regard the lesson as a fine balance between risk and adventure.

When I was a kid...I loved playing on those "Jungle Gyms" they were tons of fun...But that kinda changed when going through Basic , Airborne and Ranger School...it seems that the Army has a different notion of "fun" than me...:eek::D
Andy
What your dad didn't stand there and screaming at you to do it again when you where a kid lol the army might get better reputation if they put slide on some of there obstacles

ae401a03ad948c9dbff0af58270cf3c4--rubber-mat-jungle-gym.jpg

And just maybe, the kids that grew up on this unsafe equipment...were a bit more prepared for what life threw at them later.

Even in the Army, climbing up and over structures was somewhat easier for the soldiers that grew up with old fashioned playground equipment.

And it didn't stop on the playground. There was not a tree in my neighborhood that I had not clumb to the top.

Last Edited:
View attachment 413830

And just maybe, the kids that grew up on this unsafe equipment...were a bit more prepared for what life threw at them later.

Even in the Army, climbing up and over structures was somewhat easier for the soldiers that grew up with old fashioned playground equipment.

And it didn't stop on the playground. There was not a tree in my neighborhood that I had not clumb to the top.

363514-66b6872c14726bba79d90738d5775de3.jpg

This is very similar to the "Monkey Bars" we had in the same area as the slide above. It was mounted in asphalt though. Us boys would play a sort of tag on steroids, on the bars, couldn't touch the ground. Only the one who was "It" could be on the ground.

As a society I think we're really messing up by not letting kids get out, get dirty, eat some dirt/germs, get hurt and learn.....How not to get hurt!

I got a skull fracture on one of those when I was in 1st grade, spent a week in the hospital. Thinking back makes my hands hurt not so much now.

It's an awesome excuse to for my 'idiosyncrasies'.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top