JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
playgrounds_in_1900_1-copy.jpg 19dd9fde36ec274bf5e7eec6919651c4-vintage-playground-to-pee.jpg 31194F7800000578-3442542-image-a-130_1455212393780-e1513215895430.jpg 565bab09ef521ff104aa5162c9005ea7-e1513215858596.jpg 208683_v1.jpg

Dangerous Playgrounds From The 1900s Would Give Parents Today Heart Failure

We didn't have anything that huge but I remember the lack of safety concerns very well. One of my happiest accomplishments as a fat kid was to get to the very top of the swing set. Good times! :)

Some things were crazy. My grade school playground was on asphalt!

A simple safety thing for many playgrounds is to move the swings - so the path between stations/areas does not go thru the swing area.

Then having chips or sand to fall on.

playgroundmotel3-930x620.jpg

rocket-playground-95.jpg

d426e433378c8dffed01f3ab8a1112bf--parks-and-recreation-space-age.jpg

This one started as a play structure. To teach the children, boys, how to walk the iron - get jobs putting up those skyscrapers.
iroquois-withart-900.jpg

We had a "Jungle Gym" that had a hard rubber base, but no safety what so ever. We wojld play TAG on that thing all the time. One of my class mates took a header off the top and split his forehead open good. The school never changed the playground until 20 years after I went There! Every thing was on cement and I'm surrised more kids didn't get hurt all those years!

A simple safety thing for many playgrounds is to move the swings - so the path between stations/areas does not go thru the swing area.

View attachment 413568

View attachment 413569

View attachment 413570

This one started as a play structure. To teach the children, boys, how to walk the iron - get jobs putting up those skyscrapers.
View attachment 413571
The park that we used to go to had one of those rocket things with a slide coming off the second or third Tere

View attachment 413568

View attachment 413569

View attachment 413570

View attachment 413571

My grade school playground was also asphalt. The playground at the park were dirt.

Those of us that survived our wonderful childhood are survivors.

Yah!

Remember going places without a car seat, in vehicles that only had lap belts (or none at all!), and believe it or not...no airbags!

Used to drive on my dads lap back in the day. Would make SJW's heads plop like pimples if it were today...

I didn't know what seat belt was until was 12 years old. At the same time I got my Winchester Model 1906 .22 rifle and had it and ammo in my bedroom closet. I also carried a pocket knife in grade school and high school. Never got into any trouble with either knives of guns. I mean almost everyone carried a pocket knife and a lot of kids had their guns in their closet. Today this considered illegal behavior and subject to harsh penalties. The ironical thing is today is a less safe place to be than in the 50's & 60's with all the new laws and regulations. And my parents and millions of other parents would be considered today as law breakers and very bad parents.

LOL... I've played on some of those types of playgrounds as a child. Anyone remember the wooden structure in Mt. Scott park made out of railroad ties and the awesome slivers you'd get off them?

I grew up at Mt. Scott park. I remember the merry-go-round at the park and at the grade schools. We learned quick, ya just gotta hold on tight. And it made us strong. At the big church on 52nd and Duke, they had a different kind of merry-go-round. Like this...
98076a7c7ee292ee716185c5b194a9af.jpg

images.jpg

Instead of the bearing being at the bottom, it was at the top of a long pole, and the merry-go-round hung like a bell. Not only would it spin, it would swing side to side, and the outside would get really high in the air. We survived it too. At Woodmere, we had a really great monkey bars. We never fell. We learned to climb and hold on.

Last Edited:
Showed these pics to my 78yro dad....he loved them! He looked at me and said; I never rode in a car seat either... you think if I get in the car tomorrow I'll get hurt with out it? ;)

We didn't have "safe" playgrounds but the only kids that got hurt on them was doing something STUPID....;)

And if you didn't die, you learned something.

We had a slide akin to this on the playground at my elementary school. It wasn't wavy and probably wasn't quite so tall. Guarantee you wouldn't see one like it today! The slide was on the K-3rd grade end of the school. There was no supervision. The bell rang and kids went out and played, rang again we went back to class. Worst injury I remember seeing was in the 3rd grade. A kid fell going up a short set of stairs, hit the edge of a concrete step, right on his forehead. I swear I could see his skull.
363218-341c79e237c2b49dce61b801c8ab83a4.jpg

Good thing they have all these devices now days for when kids start to grow up they don't have to do anything where they might get hurt if they're not paying attention. Other than pay enough attention to NOT walk in front of trains/buses, into walls, ditches at construction sites etc.

I recently built some parts for some playground equipment at a local park. I ask the guys doing it why they were spending so much money to fix that old crap and was told that because of liability if it ever gets removed they can't replace it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top