Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Odd observation while cleaning fish

titsonritz

Reactions
I have always cut the head off just behind the pectoral fins first, then slice open the belly from the bunger up to the cut-off head, then take my thumbnail and strip out the innards all nice and clean.... it’s like an edible little trout canoe.
That's always been my m.o.

Reactions
Regarding hatchery trout and ice fishing. We were allowed to leave sets out overnight at certain lakes. These cost about 60 cents for materials. The next morning the hatchery fish were dead. The wild fish were eyeballing us and very mad. Pulling through the hole on six feet of hand line was fun. "Eskimo style".

Reactions
On trout I always scaled and then notched out the pooper. Then cut forwards to the base of the tongue.
Then separate the inner floor of the mouth from the jawbone with your thumb and pull out/down.
The guts come out in one piece and the head gets left on in case there's a minimum size.
I used to do about 3 a minute that way back in the day.
If they won't fit in the pan that way, then you can take the head off.

But yeah, Gramps did it right. Remove the anus first.

On bass, or other WW species and most anything from the salt gets the filet & skin treatment.
They're a lot more scaly than a trout though.

Reactions
I was taught the 2nd method from the video. Had never seen the first method used for trout. For bigger fish (ocean fish) yes, but not for a trout.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    Ed's a great guy with a good peronality and good customer service. I enjoy supporting his small...
    • jaytee0115
  • Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    I will preface this with the fact that this poor reference is only based on my experience...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Wildcat Mountain
    5.00 star(s)
    This is my family's and my selfs favorite spot to go for hand gun practice and just plinking...
    • Tccae708
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    What a great deal on transfers. Good guy and he makes it very easy. He had fast communication...
    • glorydays4ever
  • Cerberus Training Group
    5.00 star(s)
    Feedback from John Wells-Henderson, an avid shooter re: the 1-day Run the Gun Pistol class...
    • rutilate

Staff online